IGNORED

Luke Steele

Port Said Red

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

Please explain how Frankie was poor Saturday. Absolutely bizarre.

He was indecisive two or three times in the first half about coming off his line and left defenders in two minds. For the second goal he came off his line and went for the ball with his feet instead of going into the melee with his hands which would probably have stopped the goal being scored.

Steele's kicking is imo an improvement over FF but FF is possibly one of the best in the Championship when faced with attackers in one on one situations. 

Whether that should cause LJ to choose Steele is up to LJ

4 hours ago, Monkeh said:

How the **** was Frankie poor at the weekend,

all 3 goals were defensive cock ups nothing to do with the keeper

senpeople are just waiting for a reason to slag him off and it's sad

Have a new look at the second goal, he looks afraid and try to take it with his feets instead of hands....

I dont mean he should be dropped but i only want that you have a new look on that goal again.  Defintly he should have done better in that situation. But all players were poor, i didnt choose the right game to come over ... :) 

Fielding still number 1 for me, not going to let 2 great saves cloud my judgement.

Looked unbelievably uncomfortable first half, shaky and dropping everything. A couple of his saves almost looked like he was blinded by the lights in the Lansdown! Nerves settled after a terrific save from Sako. 

Quick look on the Palace forum from during the game and they weren't too complimentary:

Their keeper actually looks worse than ours!! Great stuff.

Keeper Luke Steele looks absolutely terrified. He's having a shocker and is beatable with every shot.

2 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

Fielding still number 1 for me, not going to let 2 great saves cloud my judgement.

Looked unbelievably uncomfortable first half, shaky and dropping everything. A couple of his saves almost looked like he was blinded by the lights in the Lansdown! Nerves settled after a terrific save from Sako. 

Quick look on the Palace forum from during the game and they weren't too complimentary:

Their keeper actually looks worse than ours!! Great stuff.

Keeper Luke Steele looks absolutely terrified. He's having a shocker and is beatable with every shot.

Accurate assessment from the Palace fans there, or as it is otherwise known, wishful thinking. 

To be fair to Steele it really isn't easy to start a game only once a month and be "on it" right from the very start.

When you add to this the fact he lost his starting place in Greece at the end of last season it means he has probably started 2 games in about six months.

I think he looked better against Stoke, but he did make one wonder save and is a useful squad player.

At present it would still be FF as first choice for me, though if he picked up an injury, suspension or had a prolonged drop in form this guy doesn't ever worry me the way that Lucic did..

Steele’s early uncertainty could be put down to the ball being used. It was mentioned by Steve Lansdown on Talk Sport this morning that the Mitre ball used ,only for the League Cup, is light and was moving around a lot more and took some getting used to. He felt we should always start any game with the same ball. Pep made the same complaint today regarding the ball for their match against Wolves.

15 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

It could be said that he should have saved the second Leeds goal , for some bizarre reason he went in feet first when you would expect a keeper to pounce on the ball and claim it .

Worried about it being judged a back-pass from Flint’s sliding challenge.

5 hours ago, city1uk said:

Steele’s early uncertainty could be put down to the ball being used. It was mentioned by Steve Lansdown on Talk Sport this morning that the Mitre ball used ,only for the League Cup, is light and was moving around a lot more and took some getting used to. He felt we should always start any game with the same ball. Pep made the same complaint today regarding the ball for their match against Wolves.

Same ball as we use in Championship

16 hours ago, Monkeh said:

How the **** was Frankie poor at the weekend,

all 3 goals were defensive cock ups nothing to do with the keeper

senpeople are just waiting for a reason to slag him off and it's sad

That second goal was largely his fault and he gave up possession with his kicking more times than I could count.  Frankie is good at point blank reaction saves but I'd like to see what Steele can do with a run in the side, in particular if his distribution helps us more.  

20 minutes ago, Nibor said:

That second goal was largely his fault and he gave up possession with his kicking more times than I could count.  Frankie is good at point blank reaction saves but I'd like to see what Steele can do with a run in the side, in particular if his distribution helps us more.  

I agree. Fielding I think looks a lot better than he is because he saves the unexpected despite less convincing with the more routine - although to be fair much improved this year. 

My problem with Frank is really his stature. He looks very small in between the sticks and he isn't a presence in the box. For me he's just very limited by it.

One issue must be his distribution; he's old enough now, I believe if he was working hard enough on it then it would be a lot better. That leaves a big question mark - one of his biggest weaknesses and one of the easier to correct yet it's still sub par.

2 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I agree. Fielding I think looks a lot better than he is because he saves the unexpected despite less convincing with the more routine - although to be fair much improved this year. 

My problem with Frank is really his stature. He looks very small in between the sticks and he isn't a presence in the box. For me he's just very limited by it.

One issue must be his distribution; he's old enough now, I believe if he was working hard enough on it then it would be a lot better. That leaves a big question mark - one of his biggest weaknesses and one of the easier to correct yet it's still sub par.

He is tiny for a keeper.

Just now, YorkshireSection said:

He is tiny for a keeper.

I think it's an illusion. I'm sure he's comfortably 6ft (+) by the official site, unless they are lying. 

I think he's quite often hunched over, shoulders dropped, chin in to chest, and god gave him no shoulders. Just working on his stature alone would probably make him look a lot bigger. As said my biggest concern is training ground application, I just would expect his kicking to have improved a lot more over his time here. Weren't the rugby kicking coaches even working with him at one point? 

22 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I think it's an illusion. I'm sure he's comfortably 6ft (+) by the official site, unless they are lying. 

I think he's quite often hunched over, shoulders dropped, chin in to chest, and god gave him no shoulders. Just working on his stature alone would probably make him look a lot bigger. As said my biggest concern is training ground application, I just would expect his kicking to have improved a lot more over his time here. Weren't the rugby kicking coaches even working with him at one point? 

Ive stood next to him a few times hes nowhere near 6ft plus.

8 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

I have as well. I'm 6' 3" and have a similarly dodgy looking posture to FF. I think Frank is what Steve Bunce would call 5' 12" because he's pushing 6' at best. He's done very well for himself given his lack of height for a goalkeeper.

10 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

Here's a photo of him just prior to his medical . 

The scientist amongst you will notice 12" of hair which means that Frankie is actually 5' tall after a visit to the barbers.

Bravo to that man for making a career in professional football.

IMG_0083.JPG

Archived