IGNORED

Anyone else agree...

spudski

....we play so much better when we don't play 'out and out wingers'.

So much more solid in midfield last night. Still had width and an outlet to stretch the opposition...but no gaping holes.

On a side note...what solid performances from Pisano, Đurić and Magners. You would have thought from their performances that they'd been starting every week.

What a beast of a player Sako is too....wouldn't mind him in our midfield.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

So much more solid in midfield last night. Still had width and an outlet to stretch the opposition...but no gaping holes.

On a side note...what solid performances from Pisano, Đurić and Magners. You would have thought from their performances that they'd been starting every week.

Agree about Sako - amazed he doesn't get more game time at Palace.

I thought that Milan was superb, but Pisano took a long time to find his feet again and Magnússon wasn't without his dodgy moments.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

I have never bought into the playing with wingers thing anyway, I thought it was interesting on Saturday that Brownhill was our most effective wide player, after we reshuffled. It just shows that a quality midfielder can effect the game from anywhere.

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I thought that Milan was superb, but Pisano took a long time to find his feet again and Magnússon wasn't without his dodgy moments.

Both Pisano and Magners edged their way cautiously into the game...Pisano showed his class and what we have been missing in games imo.

As for 'wingers'...they have their place in a game, but when I look at Eliasson and Leko, I can't see them being anything more than impact subs.

Yes they'll have their moments in games...but they will certainly have to up their work ethic when defending and keeping shape.

Our midfield was so, so much more solid last night.

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Talking to a Palace fan ( from the bowls club) who reckons that Sako can be fantastic but seriously lacks stamina. He rarely plays a full match.

She reckons he goes awol after an hour. That's  probably why he not a regular in the Palace first 11.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Talking to a Palace fan ( from the bowls club) who reckons that Sako can be fantastic but seriously lacks stamina. He rarely plays a full match.

She reckons he goes awol after an hour. That's  probably why he not a regular in the Palace first 11.

Elderly bowls lady in accusation of young man's lack of stamina shocker.

17 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I like Magners but was very flat footed at times last night and should never have been wrong side for their goal..bit of ring rust Maybe..

Good runout for Eros & would start him Saturday if he trains well this week..

12 minutes ago, spudski said:

Both Pisano and Magners edged their way cautiously into the game...Pisano showed his class and what we have been missing in games imo.

As for 'wingers'...they have their place in a game, but when I look at Eliasson and Leko, I can't see them being anything more than impact subs.

Yes they'll have their moments in games...but they will certainly have to up their work ethic when defending and keeping shape.

I thought until we scored we were being overrun in midfield or at least it looked that way to me and it was a bit of a talking point around us that we were struggling to get a hold of the ball and everything was mostly bypassing the middle. Once we equalised though it was completely different, their heads dropped and we bossed the midfield and all other areas completely. Thought last night really showed again how confidence has such a massive effect on a game. We looked a different team once we scored having not done so for a couple of games, and they obviously capitulated once we did. 

23 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think there’s a place for wingers - especially with Đurić. I’d love to see how he’d get on with Eliasson whipping balls in.

I feel we can afford one winger but lack the quality, experience and aggression in centre midfield to have two. 

O’Dowda is quietly improving all the time too, seems to have gone under the radar a bit. 

Enjoyed watching Sako too - looked a fantastic player.

I too thought maggers, eros and steele had poor starts but improved as the game went on.  I guess it was a lack of game time and it took a while for their confidence to grow.

To be honest, after the first 20 mins, I thought we were seeing a repeat of the Leeds game.  What came next was unbelievable.

Thought Milan was a game changer when he came on, winning balls in the air and creating space for others.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think there’s a place for wingers - especially with Đurić. I’d love to see how he’d get on with Eliasson whipping balls in.

I feel we can afford one winger but lack the quality, experience and aggression in centre midfield to have two. 

O’Dowda is quietly improving all the time too, seems to have gone under the radar a bit. 

Enjoyed watching Sako too - looked a fantastic player.

The jury is out for me on Eliasson and Leko...It's like playing with 10 men when they are playing.

I've also yet to see them deserve a starting place. The odd move here and there...but nothing to warrant a start imo.

I'd say I would hoped to be proved wrong...but I really don't want them starting. I'm not a fan of 'wingers'....perhaps 30 years ago.

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

The jury is out for me on Eliasson and Leko...It's like playing with 10 men when they are playing.

I've also yet to see them deserve a starting place. The odd move here and there...but nothing to warrant a start imo.

I'd say I would hoped to be proved wrong...but I really don't want them starting. I'm not a fan of 'wingers'....perhaps 30 years ago.

I wouldn’t start both in our current formation - possibly in a 433 it would work. Both are too inconsistent and learning the game still.

I think both are talented but neither will be consistent enough at the moment. I know he wasn’t great against Burton, but Eliasson had one or two nice touches and moments of skill that showed me he has something. 

Leko has had his moments too, especially against Derby where he was great, but think we’re stronger with O’Dowda and Paterson or Bryan there at the moment. 

55 minutes ago, spudski said:

He's a tough lad, our Eros.  Remember when he collided with their left back in the second half. Only one of them was getting up and jogging away - and it wasn't the Palace player!

When it comes to formation, I think the big positive change came when we switched to a back 4, because up until then Sako looked like he was going to score every time he came forward. The extra width meant we were able to cut out passes intended for him. For a makeshift defence they did a great job of shutting him out of the second half.

Oh, agree about the wingers too :thumbsup:

Actually thought we were all over the shop in the first half hour, we found it hard to cope with Palace, if it were not for them letting us back in as they did a better defensive outfit would have beaten us well. So there is still some work to do, a lot, Maggers looked out of his depth at times, plus the usual slip and fall, we gave the ball away for fun too, second half was a lot better, but this result was great albeit we should not be thinking we are the finished article, just yet.. 

15 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Actually thought we were all over the shop in the first half hour, we found it hard to cope with Palace, if it were not for them letting us back in as they did a better defensive outfit would have beaten us well. So there is still some work to do, a lot, Maggers looked out of his depth at times, plus the usual slip and fall, we gave the ball away for fun too, second half was a lot better, but this result was great albeit we should not be thinking we are the finished article, just yet.. 

I agree. Although we got back in it thanks to an awful defensive error and a long throw and some good old-fashioned determination, Palace had control of the game for the first half an hour or so and were certainly helped by us giving the ball away too often and granting them lots of time/space. A better second half, with two superb goals and opponents whose confidence was low saw us to a great victory, but against even an average prem side, who would be clinical, I fear it would have been a different outcome.

29 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

I don’t disagree but think some context needs to be added. They didn’t start with an out and out striker. It was pacy wingers and attacking midfielders. We don’t see that in the championship very often and think our entire back 4 needed the half hour to adjust and they did. Could’ve been 2-3 down by then of course. Still think it was a relatively quick adjustment from probably our slowest back 4 combination who’ve rarely played together. 

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don’t disagree but think some context needs to be added. They didn’t start with an out and out striker. It was pacy wingers and attacking midfielders. We don’t see that in the championship very often and think our entire back 4 needed the half hour to adjust and they did. Could’ve been 2-3 down by then of course. Still think it was a relatively quick adjustment from probably our slowest back 4 combination who’ve rarely played together. 

We started with a back 3 Joe. I think Lee deserves much credit for seeing we were getting overrun and Magnússon, in particular, was struggling. After Pisano was asked to drop back, we had the width to cut out the relentless passes to Sako. 

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Strange how different people view players, I actually thought Pisano did really well considering he has been out for around a month

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If he does that, will we be able to keep him?

Unfortunately I believe he has one of those agents who likes to keep other clubs aware of him. I think sadly if we don't grow as quickly as he does, we will lose him.

On the flip side, if the current market stays as it is, he'll be a very expensive buy for another club.

Archived