IGNORED

Strange atmosphere last night

ooRya

Which I would put down to a lot of people there that don't normally go. Certainly seemed to be a lot of families around me in the Dolman.

So the question is, why did so many "new" people decide to go last night?

Playing a Prem team? Possibly, but it was only Palace...hardly a glam tie.

Easily being able to buy seats to sit as a group? Maybe.

Half Term? 3pm on a Saturday isn't an issue for kids.

Ticket prices? The most likely reason I would say, so even though we are getting great gates at the moment, maybe it suggests that we haven't quite got ticket prices right.

All in all, probably a combination of all of the above, and certainly shows the potential we have to fill the ground if we really start to do well.

I thought the atmosphere was fantastic, in S82 it was as loud as it’s been all season. It does get packed in there though, in the second half after the stewards stopped checking tickets it was heaving.

It was a great night, my kids were absolutely buzzing at the end of it. There’s no better way of attracting new fans than playing like that in a packed stadium. 

46 minutes ago, Jacki said:

I thought the atmosphere was fantastic, in S82 it was as loud as it’s been all season. It does get packed in there though, in the second half after the stewards stopped checking tickets it was heaving.

It was a great night, my kids were absolutely buzzing at the end of it. There’s no better way of attracting new fans than playing like that in a packed stadium. 

Actually I thought it wasn't the best it's been. At times it's electric but because we went 4-1 up relatively early on in the second half it takes some of the tension away. Atmosphere is always better when the result is still in the balance.

3 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Atmosphere at the gate is great when we are winning or playing well.  It's s shame that we can't lift the team when things are not going so well though.

Wouldn't say that's true. When we're under the cosh and underdogs the atmosphere can be great. I guarantee if we got promoted and were struggling to stay up the atmosphere would be fantastic - especially in the games against the huge sides.

3 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Atmosphere at the gate is great when we are winning or playing well.  It's s shame that we can't lift the team when things are not going so well though.

I think one of the best atmposheres recently was against Buton when we were trying to encourage the team to break the stalemate tactics of the opposition. The chanting went on for ages rather than bursts. 

As for last night, I sat in a different place than my ST so it was a bit different. There did seem lots of kids around as it's HT, a couple behind me seemed quite disappointed that we won as they wanted to see penalties!!!:o

Totally agree with the OP.

Had to sit a few rows from my usual seat due to my tardiness over getting a ticket, I was surrounded by a number of dads with very young children who clearly don't go too often.

For at least 2 of the goals I was asked "who scored" by people that didn't know who many of our players were.

Much funnier in the two rows in front of me were a group of 12-15 lads I can only presume were students, they looked like they were in some boy band, spent a huge amount of time on their phones and initially seemed more interested in how the games involving Man City and Arsenal were going.

However as we got on top one of them got so into it, he shouted out "come on Bristol"..,:facepalm:

18 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Actually I thought it wasn't the best it's been. At times it's electric but because we went 4-1 up relatively early on in the second half it takes some of the tension away. Atmosphere is always better when the result is still in the balance.

When the goals were flying in it was bouncing, for half an hour or so it was as loud as I’ve heard it. Hear what you say about it dying off a bit when the game was being played out though, but I guess that’s to be expected. 

11 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I could believe how many people I didn't regconise around me in Dolman last night and how many people had beers with them at their seats!! 

Yep. The best indication of a newbie!

The more the merrier though. Good to see loads of kids. Next generation and all that. 

7 minutes ago, Jacki said:

When the goals were flying in it was bouncing, for half an hour or so it was as loud as I’ve heard it. Hear what you say about it dying off a bit when the game was being played out though, but I guess that’s to be expected. 

What was impressive was how the atmosphere spreads. The SS joins in consistently now and can be very loud - they even led chants on a couple of occasions.

Would be good to have a few smaller singing sections in different areas of the ground. They'd be like atmosphere versions of the beacons of Gondor!

So many new people around me last night. Took a good 10-15 minutes into each half for everyone to be in their seats. Don’t you love cup matches? Also the steward near me was a bit thick. Clearly wasn’t informed on where seats were around him and had a group of about 15 people on the steps next to me where we all had to stand a good 2-3 minutes for him to figure it out. Surely leave them on the steps up to the stand while you figure it out and not impede a few hundred others in their seats on time. 

Would love it if there could be another singing section in the other south stand corner. The current one is clearly popular and there's demand for something else. If that happened I think it would spread and the back rows of the south stand would also become unofficial singing/standing sections.. Would be amazing. 

3 minutes ago, streety_bcfc said:

There were a fair few students there too from UWE and Bristol Uni, we met some that were actually Spurs fans from London studying here. They seemed really impressed by our way of football. Seems to be a market we should be tapping into to get some extra bums on seats. 

They used to offer a student discount on STs but stopped it a couple of years ago. I was surprised that not more was done, given the location of UWE Bower Ashton Campus. 

27 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

So many new people around me last night. Took a good 10-15 minutes into each half for everyone to be in their seats. Don’t you love cup matches? Also the steward near me was a bit thick. Clearly wasn’t informed on where seats were around him and had a group of about 15 people on the steps next to me where we all had to stand a good 2-3 minutes for him to figure it out. Surely leave them on the steps up to the stand while you figure it out and not impede a few hundred others in their seats on time. 

One steward I saw didn't really care about the seating situation, just stood there singing all the songs. What a guy. 

2 hours ago, ooRya said:

Which I would put down to a lot of people there that don't normally go. Certainly seemed to be a lot of families around me in the Dolman.

So the question is, why did so many "new" people decide to go last night?

Playing a Prem team? Possibly, but it was only Palace...hardly a glam tie.

Easily being able to buy seats to sit as a group? Maybe.

Half Term? 3pm on a Saturday isn't an issue for kids.

Ticket prices? The most likely reason I would say, so even though we are getting great gates at the moment, maybe it suggests that we haven't quite got ticket prices right.

All in all, probably a combination of all of the above, and certainly shows the potential we have to fill the ground if we really start to do well.

Re ticket prices, it depends what you mean by getting them "right". If the objective is just to fill the ground every week, then no they haven't.

If the objective is to maximise revenues to help us compete financially, then I'd say getting 24k with full price tickets on Saturday followed by 22k with reduced price tickets three days later suggests they are pitching it about right.

Not to say that football overall isn't overpriced though.

Just now, exAtyeoMax said:

They used to offer a student discount on STs but stopped it a couple of years ago. I was surprised that not more was done, given the location of UWE Bower Ashton Campus. 

Especially next year with Metrobus (if it actually works) coming in would be an easy way of ferrying students to and from the area. 

I really enjoyed the atmosphere last night although seating was a little chaotic.  Assuming a fair number of ST holders didn't attend (or switched seats) there's going to be a lot more people in a crowd of 22k who don't know exactly where they should be sitting.  Despite the confusion nobody around me got tetchy as has happened in the past.

Unfortunately I think being ahead (or at least being in the ascendancy) has the greatest impact on atmosphere.  Once Leeds took control on Saturday, there was very little to sing about.

Even the Palace fans gave up after Joe Bryan's wonder goal last night.  It's difficult to maintain that buzz when you sense the game is already over.

But blimey, that was one of the most enjoyable games I've seen for quite a few years.

23 minutes ago, harrys said:

No idea who all the “new” fans were sat around me, heard a lad in the concourse at h/t telling his mate on the phone how he was wearing a “Bristol” shirt he’d bought in a charity shop !!!

I think that's great.  It has to start somewhere for everyone.  Maybe the fourth round of the league cup in 2017 is where it starts for him.  And he'll soon pick up the lingo!

The only frustrating thing about the whole night was the two guys sat in front of me, arrived 10 minutes late, left half way through the first half, came back, left with 10 minutes to go till half time, came back ten minutes into the 2nd half, left again after 70 minutes, came back, left for good after 85, they only saw about 30 minutes of football!!

A certain steward in W10 was truly woeful last night, took my 10 year old brother to his first game and at half-time he disappeared to go toilet and was confident on how to get their and back so left him to it. Got a call about 10 minutes later from him saying the steward wasn't letting him back in because he didn't have his ticket, I had to walk down the stairs show him a ticket to get a 10 year old back to his seat - Jobsworth!

Same steward blocked my view of the game for 5 minutes as he rowed with people in the wrong seats instead of sorting the issue and then to top it off a city fan who was giving it the big-un had to be ejected and as he's pushing him up the stairs he trips falls into my brother forcing him to fall back onto a seat with the bloke landing on top of him, no apology just got up and carried on with the ejection.

Soured an other wise brilliant evening and luckily the little brother wasn't too fazed!

2 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

The only frustrating thing about the whole night was the two guys sat in front of me, arrived 10 minutes late, left half way through the first half, came back, left with 10 minutes to go till half time, came back ten minutes into the 2nd half, left again after 70 minutes, came back, left for good after 85, they only saw about 30 minutes of football!!

Sounds like they saw all the goals mind !

Archived