IGNORED

Lansdown about to talk on talksport

bs20ciderarmy

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

Vence properties bought AV for £7m, I believe. Can you see the council forking out anything for land in the current climate, especially as they can't build housing on it. They can't even afford contribute to the xmas lights. They have recently announced that there will be housing on the Alderman Moores site, with provision for a railway station.

Any housing on the original stadium site application was taken out of the equation at the first hearing, as the whole site was in the greenbelt (and still is) and there has to be a very special reason to allow any building on greenbelt. The reason the stadium got permission was that, there were no acceptable comparable sites for a stadium of that size in the region.

I may be wrong here and I haven't looked it up but isn't Vence Properties something to do with SL? 

4 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Interesting Redraw. Would be great if the academy and first team were all together on one site, Ashton vale 92 acres would of been big enough.

Isn't Abbots leigh's land owner by QEH school ? If we're building a state of the art training ground on that site , surely we'd have too buy all the school land ?

There's a pretty big field on the school grounds that doesn't get used at all, reckon city will use that and work with the school at the same time 

1 hour ago, Scrumpylegs said:

Can they put a basketball arena on Wickes site for Flyers? Would make sense and from what I've heard the basketball has got a good following and is a good night out! :bounce:

That’s the rumour I heard.....3,000 seater (might be wrong)......Basketball is a cracking night out, great atmosphere.

Can just imagine, home football on afternoon, into sports bar for "tea" and then nip round to Wickes for BBL.

6 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Interesting Redraw. Would be great if the academy and first team were all together on one site, Ashton vale 92 acres would of been big enough.

Isn't Abbots leigh's land owner by QEH school ? If we're building a state of the art training ground on that site , surely we'd have too buy all the school land ?

I did wonder who owned the land at the training ground, I played against QEH when I was at school and played up there, their pitches take up a lot of the space there so unless as you've suggested we're buying the land off them I'm not sure how much room for expansion there is up there. Unless we were looking to buy the fields next to the current pitches. 

In the States (probably other places too) basketball ball arenas are sometimes dual purpose and can also be used as ice hockey venues as they have a similar court size. Although the infrastructure is presumably a lot more complicated/ expensive with the removable wood court and ice etc. 

+ Anyone got any news if the Midas site and the old Braby site with the cherry pickers are likely to be included? 

1 hour ago, Lord Northski said:

In the States (probably other places too) basketball ball arenas are sometimes dual purpose and can also be used as ice hockey venues as they have a similar court size. Although the infrastructure is presumably a lot more complicated/ expensive with the removable wood court and ice etc. 

+ Anyone got any news if the Midas site and the old Braby site with the cherry pickers are likely to be included? 

It is a indoor arena for Basketball, Badminton, Tennis and music etc - so will be more multi purpose than a dedicated Basketball court from what I originally heard. If done well it should tie the Lansdown stand with the area so it will be a more pleasant fan area as well,

3 hours ago, Fiale said:

It is a indoor arena for Basketball, Badminton, Tennis and music etc - so will be more multi purpose than a dedicated Basketball court from what I originally heard. If done well it should tie the Lansdown stand with the area so it will be a more pleasant fan area as well,

I would hope considering the success of the fans zone they would relocate it to this new potential area.

6 hours ago, Fiale said:

This would be brilliant, if we can get that brook covered up well enough the footprint of this entire site would be huge and make the area much more of a destination. Thought I'd heard a hotel will be built as well though? Would make sense. 

8 hours ago, Lord Northski said:

A friend's 13 year old son plays ice hockey and has been picked out as having exceptional talent. They live north Bristol but have to travel to Swindon several times a week for coaching and training as there is nothing available closer. Ok Swindon isn't a million miles away but is a right pain for her to take him sometimes with work, school, traffic etc. They do travel all over the country to play too so there could be a demand for facilities like that here.

I thought too that we would be looking at an Arena on the Wickes site for Basketball and Badminton, I think we have or had an interest in Badminton at one stage didn't we? What about the opportunity for gigs and concerts etc now the arena at TM has stalled again. Cardiff and Birmingham is getting my money for these events at the moment

11 minutes ago, RedM said:

A friend's 13 year old son plays ice hockey and has been picked out as having exceptional talent. They live north Bristol but have to travel to Swindon several times a week for coaching and training as there is nothing available closer. Ok Swindon isn't a million miles away but is a right pain for her to take him sometimes with work, school, traffic etc. They do travel all over the country to play too so there could be a demand for facilities like that here.

I thought too that we would be looking at an Arena on the Wickes site for Basketball and Badminton, I think we have or had an interest in Badminton at one stage didn't we? What about the opportunity for gigs and concerts etc now the arena at TM has stalled again. Cardiff and Birmingham is getting my money for these events at the moment

Yep, there's the Bristol Jets in the National Badminton League. They've played - as with the Flyers basketball - at SGS Wise to date.

35 minutes ago, RedM said:

He won't have far to travel as they are building an ice rink at cribs 

19 hours ago, GrahamC said:

That is exactly the case re Ashton Vale, there has already been an announcement on Bristol City Council's website about the first houses that are expected on it in 2019, and a contract has already been signed with Wilmott Dixon in order to build them.

My understanding is that SL has now sold the non TVG part of the land to the council, enabling him to recoup his outlay for the whole site, but that the bit designated as Village Green cannot be developed at all.

Presumably this will continue to be where Rovers Supporters who live in Kingswood/Cadbury Heath hold barbecues, bird watch and ice skate or much more likely take their dogs to shit and dump their old mattresses..

Fixed it for you...

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

This would be brilliant, if we can get that brook covered up well enough the footprint of this entire site would be huge and make the area much more of a destination. Thought I'd heard a hotel will be built as well though? Would make sense. 

Yes, I am not 100% sure what the plans are for it, or how big it will be.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Same for Gymnast, we have a family member who is on the fringes of the UK squad (goes to the meets etc) and since she was a small kid she has had to travel to Plymouth (I think it was Plymouth) as we have no facilities here. It's pretty disgraceful how backwards we are in Bristol for facilities, we have slowly been catching up, but we need an indoor arena and training facilities somewhere (maybe UWE can step up to the plate now a dedicated football stadium appears dead.).

47 minutes ago, Coombsy said:

He won't have far to travel as they are building an ice rink at cribs 

True. But the trouble is he is now attached to a team which plays in Swindon, I guess if Bristol can establish one he maybe able to switch in the future, but it's not that simple in reality I don't suppose. Yes I know it would be the same if BS built an ice rink multipurpose complex but how much talent for these various sports have been lost to other teams and cities/towns as we haven't got the facilities here. 

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:59, RedRaw said:

I've not heard the radio interview. All I am saying is that based on what redcityman confirmed from the interview, we appear to be staying at Abbots Leigh but improving the facilities. The other 3 developments have been rumoured and or there is some basis of truth in them.

We know he owns AV and is planning to build a new academy, an application for a new training facility for Bristol Rugby has been approved, we believe he owns the Wickes site and rumours suggest a small arena could be included.

There are a few on here that may know a little more through their connections with supporters club etc but are sworn to secrecy.......isn't that right @Dollymarie ;)

Do you have a link to this?

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

See post #18 on this thread. @RedRaw can confirm but I assume the relevant paragraph is taken from The Post.

I have read it but wondered if there are really are plans to build a new academy. Having visited top level academies there are elements BCFC could replicate without the sums spent by Man City or Southampton. 

I am utterly confused. Why would we build an Academy at AV. I thought they had to go College? Or would they all go to Ashton Park. Why wouldnt we move our trsinung ground there. Surely if we want Premier class training we cant continue to share with a school. As an aside it really annots me when they are filmed in front of rugby posts. Tinpot.

8 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

I am utterly confused. Why would we build an Academy at AV. I thought they had to go College? Or would they all go to Ashton Park. Why wouldnt we move our trsinung ground there. Surely if we want Premier class training we cant continue to share with a school. As an aside it really annots me when they are filmed in front of rugby posts. Tinpot.

People have been posting about - https://www.bcfc.co.uk/academy/  not another http://www.cityacademy.bristol.sch.uk/

On 25/10/2017 at 14:24, GrahamC said:

That is exactly the case re Ashton Vale, there has already been an announcement on Bristol City Council's website about the first houses that are expected on it in 2019, and a contract has already been signed with Wilmott Dixon in order to build them.

My understanding is that SL has now sold the non TVG part of the land to the council, enabling him to recoup his outlay for the whole site, but that the bit designated as Village Green cannot be developed at all.

Presumably this will continue to be where locals hold barbecues, bird watch and ice skate or much more likely take their dogs to shit and dump their old mattresses..

Who buys their dog their own matress, let alone replaces it, leaving the dog needing to dispose of their old one..?!

Archived