IGNORED

Arsenal & Man City face probe into use of subs in Carabao Cup

Flagon

4 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

So why cant you use subs in extra time.  If that is a rule, its bonkers.  Who knows why a substitution is made? A subbed player may have an injury.

I think it’s one of these interpretation issues. You can use 4 subs overall I think in Carabao Cup but only 1 in extra time. They used two in extra time. 

• Admin
58 minutes ago, chucky said:

I thought the new rule was that you gain a 4th substitution in extra time. I thought that your other 3 subtitutions could be used at any time during the match including extra time.

That's the issue, the rules didn't EXACTLY explain it precisely, it was ambiguously worded to be open to interpretation 

There’s a precedent at the lower levels. Westbury were incorrectly told during ET by both a linesman and the ref that they could make a fourth sub during their Fa Vase tie with Christchurch. They went on to win 5-2 in extra time and later the FA forced the 90 minute result to stand and they had to go down to Christchurch for a replay which they lost 1-0. So, the precedent should be that it’s not the refs fault and if they’ve broken the rules then a replay should happen.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

There’s a precedent at the lower levels. Westbury were incorrectly told during ET by both a linesman and the ref that they could make a fourth sub during their Fa Vase tie with Christchurch. They went on to win 5-2 in extra time and later the FA forced the 90 minute result to stand and they had to go down to Christchurch for a replay which they lost 1-0. So, the precedent should be that it’s not the refs fault and if they’ve broken the rules then a replay should happen.

Ahhh , I see your mistake. You applied logic and in football logic only applies if you're a smaller club, and then not always.
The two clubs involved are 'BIG' clubs and so only ever get the proverbial slap  on the wrist. 
I agree with you though , about precedent , but it won't happen. 

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Your right the FA should follow the same rules and demand a replay but you forget that this is two Premier League clubs and the FA will brush it under the carpet so avoid affecting a fixture pile-up.

This is the actual rule from the Official cup website https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/carabao-cup/about-the-carabao-cup/carabao-cup-rules--regulations/

10.1 Subject to Rule 10.2, in all matches, each team is permitted up to seven substitutes of whom not more than three may take part in the match.

10.2 Where any match goes to extra time (in accordance with the provisions of Rules 14.4, 14.5 and/or 14.6), then subject to the League having obtained the prior approval of the International Football Association Board (IFAB) to the application of this Rule, each Club participating in that match will be permitted to use an additional substitute (in extra time only).

It is not brilliantly drafted but by my reading of it you get your additional substitute in extra time regardless of whether you have used all three of your normal substitutes in normal time. Also,  there is nothing that says that the three normal subs must be used in normal time.

It seems open to some interpretation or guidance but on the face of it I don't think either club has done anything wrong.

Archived