IGNORED

Bournemouth please

where's the joy

to uphold the tradition of getting to league cup semi finals every generation i, for one, would like a chance to get through to the next round

so for me its bournemouth at home please;

as its the best chance we have of getting through by comparison with the rest of the team's still in the Carabao.

yes they can play a slick forward passing game but they do concede, which is more than can be said for the likes of Spurs and Man City

and we might just nick one.

then onto the semi's where we will look to generate money, fill the ground and bow out gracefully to the eventual cup winners; 

and we can go see our boys put up a valiant fight both home and away against a true top flight team, if that was spurs we could get to wembley.

for many though man u at home would be great in the next round, i just want us to go further

how about you?

5 minutes ago, Super said:

I dont get ones wanting big teams now. Give me Bournemouth or Leicester maybe west ham or Everton at home and a great chance to get to a SF.

Sort of agree but if we got Bournemouth and got beat we would have to wait how long again to get a "big" club. Swings and roundabouts really,  lets just enjoy the ride.

5 minutes ago, marmite said:

Sort of agree but if we got Bournemouth and got beat we would have to wait how long again to get a "big" club. Swings and roundabouts really,  lets just enjoy the ride.

I wouldnt moan if we drew one of the big teams obviously but would love to get to a SF again. Forest in 89 was an amazing occasion.

The remaining teams in the last 8 will all suddenly remember that they are a couple of games away from a domestic trophy and a spot in the Europa league so Doris the Tea Lady will be disappointed to learn she won't be in the Match day squad and they'll start to take it seriously. 

Whoever we play will be well up for it and see us as a simple stepping stone into the semi finals.

We will need to be at our best and I think that's easier to achieve against a bigger club who would be more likely to take us lightly. 

TBH I would be happy with a home tie.

If it's one of the 'weaker' sides then great - we would have a good chance.

If it's one of the big boys then great too, a full AG and a great atmosphere ( and still have a chance).

An away tie would be a disappointment in some ways as we need all the advantages we can get now.

1 hour ago, where's the joy said:

to uphold the tradition of getting to league cup semi finals every generation i, for one, would like a chance to get through to the next round

as its the best chance we have of getting through by comparison with the rest of the team's still in the Carabao.

yes they can play a slick forward passing game but they do concede, which is more than can be said for the likes of Spurs and Man City

then onto the semi's where we will look to generate money, fill the ground and bow out gracefully to the eventual cup winners; 

and we can go see our boys put up a valiant fight both home and away against a true top flight team, if that was spurs we could get to wembley.

for many though man u at home would be great in the next round, i just want us to go further

how about you?

In it to win it young'un .

Never say die .

:winner_third_h4h:

I'd prefer to look at things from a different angle. A "home" tie against anyone, and we're in with a shout. Our team would discover abilities and energy they didn't know they had. Lets face it. we'd have nothing to lose...put Man City or Tottenham out of the Carabao Cup, and the psychological advantage against the likes of Wednesday or whatever are huge. Bring it on I say.

I've seen a lot of comments basically saying "let's draw Bournemouth and get to the semis" 

Let's not assume that the smallest name necessarily means the easiest tie and remember Bournemouth are a Premier League team who will probably beat us if they play to their best ability or if we don't.

I'd quite fancy a crack at Arsenal personally. A manager under pressure, their team criticised for a lack of cutting edge, an impatient fanbase and fortunate not to be out already. Not to mention Wenger isn't exactly known for taking this cup seriously. I think they look very vunerable and they certainly wouldn't relish a night against Flint or Đurić! Ditto West Ham if they make it through but that looks doubtful already.

29 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

Looking for third time lucky for me. We were so close versus Spurs in 1971 and the same again versus Forest!

Yes, we were drawn away in every round until we were first out the hat against Spurs in the two legged semi final.

We drew 1-1 at home, then lost 2-0 after extra time away, which meant we played longer in the away leg than the home leg!!!

:grr:

Bournemouth would probably be the last team I want to draw. They’d most likely beat us as they don’t have a huge squad. They would make changes but probably more like us where it’s 5-6 changes with players that have all played at some point in the league. 

Leicester or West Ham are who I would want if I wanted the best chance to go through. Or Arsenal who play some fringe players with academy players. I hope we get the big team now as we are underdogs no matter what. 

11 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Deflected on to a post by Steve Hodge, which just happens to be my big brothers name. I think I always looked at him differently after that. ;)

IIRC, the away goals rule had changed that very season so away goals didnt count double in the event of a draw after a replay.....had that not been the case, the result at the end of normal time in the Forest replay at the Gate would've seen us through to Wembley.....:sad26:

7 hours ago, Robin101 said:

Arsenal at home would be the ideal mix of big team and, if the stars align, a decent chance of a win!

Did want Everton. Now my first preference would be Arsenal. Then Man Utd probably.

Seem to be playing a lot of their youngsters and struggled with Doncaster and Norwich so might be more winnable and less glamorous than some think.

13 hours ago, where's the joy said:

how about you?

Semi finals aren’t two legs anymore are they?

Ignore me I’m thinking of when they scrapped the 2 legs in 1st and 2nd round!

8 hours ago, WSMRobin said:

I didn't make it to our famous win at anfield so to go to old trafford or stamford bridge to support my team would be a dream come true. 

what a night!!!!! I remember the likes of Mark Walters taunting our defence.... and me silently screaming....hold on.....just hold on. Get your nose in the way, your ass in the way, a foot in the way.....anything. And then being relieved when the ball flew wide or we cleared. I was up in The Centenary Stand with my mates bouncing up and down at the end.... and then we caught sight of the Kop End.... who stayed to the end to applaud City off the pitch.

We stopped off on the way back, and went into a pub full of Everton fans.... who wouldn't let us put our hands in our pockets to buy a drink for the rest of the night. They paid for the lot!!! 

That whole night still gives me goose bumps, and I don't want to be selfish. A whole new generation should get the same sort of night out

Archived