IGNORED

City vs Manchester - Dustbin Thread (merged)

City fan 1982

7 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It’s a great draw for us and I’m delighted we’ve finally got a genuinely massive team.. despite his moaning I think there might be something in the ‘conspiracy’ about the draw.. it’s a broadcaster’s dream quarter final out of the possible options 

Like you say who really gives a shit, it’s a fantastic draw for us an opportunity to show a wider audience than we would normally attract of how far our football club has progressed. 

There will be a national spotlight on us leading up to the game, this can only be good for the club.

We could be playing Bournemouth or Leicester away and these games wouldn’t be televised, wouldn’t generate an interest in the media. As others have said this will probably be in terms of a televised audience one of the highest we’ve played infront of. 

I accept we’re more likely to go out playing Utd, but I can’t see too many negatives for the club 

13 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Good idea, let 14k season ticket holders bring a Man Utd supporting mate each and screw the City members who've paid £20 for priority tickets and supported the club their whole life.

Who said i would bring a man u supporting mate. I've been going home and away with my pal for over 8 years he doesnt have an st this year for the first time. If i can get more than one ticket ill give it to him. But as others have said thats unlikely. 

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The point you seem to be missing is that the primary concern is non-City fans purchasing memberships after the draw and earning the same priority as existing members. As you say, members have paid for the privelige of priority tickets and that will potentially be compromised if the club does not distinguish between existing members and new ones. A legitimate concern.

I’m not missing the point but if supporters haven’t had the foresight to pay for membership (at least) then that’s unfortunately the luck of the draw.

How many Leeds fans did similar last weekend? Man Utd have a massive fan base & it’s obvious that fans will do whatever they can to get hold of tickets, similar to our fans when we last reached this stage of this competition or when we’ve made the play-offs & been unable to get tickets for our end for the away leg, for example, our away game at Walsall in the play-offs all those years ago, I got tickets in the home end because I missed out on tickets for the away end!

If opposition fans are willing to pay £50+ for one game of football & to help us progress as a football club then so be it, there’s nothing stopping any of our non-members from giving themselves the opportunity of a ticket by taking out memberships, is there?

The only thing that bothers me is this "here comes the plastics" comments. If anything these "plastics" are potential season ticket holders, merchandise buyers etc

If a young lad asks to go to the game because it's Manchester United and his dad takes him, or his friends go with him and we give them a great game or even turn them over that could be the one thing that really makes them proud of their local team.
I remember being in my first year of high school having just been moved away from Bristol to Cardiff, all of my new friends were Cardiff City fans and I was a Bristol born lad with a dad who supported Bristol City, I could have easily become a Cardiff City fan due to my peers but my dad took me to see us play Manchester United for Chris Garlands testimonial. That game ended 3-3 and was a massive impact on how I saw our club, I saw in the standing section with the Man United fans and City fans and the atmosphere was amazing and the match was amazing.

All of this "plastics" talk needs to be shelved, all of this "but what about me" entitlement also needs to be shelved, the club is in the spotlight right now, if anything we should be happy so many new people want to go to the game as it's a chance to potentially create future generations of fans and help the clubs support grow. 

9 hours ago, eardun said:

I would also recommend that those thinking about buying a half season ticket because of the Man U match check first that this will give them eligibility. I’d be doubtful that it would given the half season ticket doesn’t start until Boxing Day (after the cup match).

Sssh ! Mum's the word .

53 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The concern is that many new people will now sign up as members and will have equal priority with existing members who have already been to games. Hence the potential for genuine fans to miss out.

Ah, didn’t realise you could still buy memberships. Surely if there’s any common sense involved then any memberships sold after the ‘draw’ won’t be eligible for tickets. 

40 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Nothing like a huge audience to test the water for Bristol's real appetite for top class sport. 

If I was in charge of ST sales I would offer Man U tickets to anyone who signed up now for one and a half seasons, providing us current ST holders have got their fair allocation for Dec 19/20th

I'd suggest anyone prepared to sign up for a 1 1/2 year season ticket just to get to see Man Utd reserves is not particularly somebody who you'd want at AG 

IMHO Its laughable that people think that Man United fans even Bristol ones would be / are so desperate to spend hundreds and hundreds of pounds to watch their massive tie at AG 

Hardly their biggest game in the coming months 

Some of the posts in the last 18hrs are 'interesting' and 'amusing'

Some of our fan base coming across as bit star struck , and people's demands or cries for this , that and the other are not our finest hour IMHO but probably just reflect modern society, and modern football 

Reflecting back I guess there was the same scramble and queue jostling when we reached PO Final so maybe nothing's changed , games like this just shows the wrong side of people

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

How do you calculate the odds of the draw being made by a rugby and cricket player? :P

Maybe they used a rugby and cricket player this time after the ex football players made such a hash of who was drawing home and who was drawing away in the previous round 

You all know that the draw was pre-recorded right? And that the EFL and twitter announced prior to broadcast that it was pre-recorded. Which probably explains why rumours of the ties came out ahead of the video

This is why you people can't have nice things

PS if you were a broadcaster seeking to rig the draw and you have 5 'Champions League' teams left, surely you'd pair 2 of them together. That way, you have a 'big' game in the Qtrs, would be pretty sure if getting 2 or 3 of your 'big' teams into the semis and then could have a 'big' final  

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

What's not to get? Suspending memberships - or selling to those with a booking history first - ensures those who've already paid for priority get first dibs ahead of many non-City fans jumping on the bandwagon.

Ensuring tickets get into the most deserving hands should come ahead of commercial interests.

If you've already been to four games at full price this year then with respect it was madness not to get a membership, which would already have paid for itself.

Yep I was one of those mad enough not to buy a membership and then POTD a few games. Regretting it now.

13 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I'd suggest anyone prepared to sign up for a 1 1/2 year season ticket just to get to see Man Utd reserves is not particularly somebody who you'd want at AG 

IMHO Its laughable that people think that Man United fans even Bristol ones would be / are so desperate to spend hundreds and hundreds of pounds to watch their massive tie at AG 

Hardly their biggest game in the coming months 

Some of the posts in the last 18hrs are 'interesting' and 'amusing'

Some of our fan base coming across as bit star struck , and people's demands or cries for this , that and the other are not our finest hour IMHO but probably just reflect modern society, and modern football 

Reflecting back I guess there was the same scramble and queue jostling when we reached PO Final so maybe nothing's changed , games like this just shows the wrong side of people

I agree. I get that people are excited but it’s a quarter final League Cup tie, not the World Cup final.

How would we ever cope in the premier league?

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I would add one thing to this, maybe new members that have purchase history this season? 

This, for me, should be key in the clubs thinking. Anybody who has purchased any ticket to watch Bristol City FC this season should have priority. ST Holders then Members with a booking history.

I've heard people saying that a rugby season ticket holder could potentially use their membership to get a ticket (not sure if true or not). But if that person has not purchased a single ticket to watch City, they should IMO be excluded from any priority bookings. Those are the one's who are more likely to move a ticket on to a Manchester 'fan'.

39 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

If the demand is there for the Utd game, perhaps turn a cinema into an Ashton Gate mark 2 - or some other large venue - with suitable facilities.

I recall when a game was shown in the Whitchurch Sports hall (was it Rotherham or Millwall?) a few years back, and no do doubt it has been done for other matches.

Just make sure the screen is big enough and the image clear enough, oh and plenty of drink and food on hand!

General thoughts?  Is this worthwhile, or completely unnecessary?

I saw the Liverpool game at the Sports Centre plus the Millwall game too some years ago. I'm not sure they could do that sort of thing again? I'm sure would let us use the TF Theatre though.  

25 minutes ago, Spike said:

The only thing that bothers me is this "here comes the plastics" comments. If anything these "plastics" are potential season ticket holders, merchandise buyers etc

If a young lad asks to go to the game because it's Manchester United and his dad takes him, or his friends go with him and we give them a great game or even turn them over that could be the one thing that really makes them proud of their local team.
I remember being in my first year of high school having just been moved away from Bristol to Cardiff, all of my new friends were Cardiff City fans and I was a Bristol born lad with a dad who supported Bristol City, I could have easily become a Cardiff City fan due to my peers but my dad took me to see us play Manchester United for Chris Garlands testimonial. That game ended 3-3 and was a massive impact on how I saw our club, I saw in the standing section with the Man United fans and City fans and the atmosphere was amazing and the match was amazing.

All of this "plastics" talk needs to be shelved, all of this "but what about me" entitlement also needs to be shelved, the club is in the spotlight right now, if anything we should be happy so many new people want to go to the game as it's a chance to potentially create future generations of fans and help the clubs support grow. 

Spot on Spike.  Always seems odd to me that some fans resent new people coming along.  If you want the team to be successful, in the long run you need bigger support.  Yes it will change things, but overall for the better.

11 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I do wonder what the real , usable capacity is.

Singing section down 10% H&S

Away area segregation and maybe the 10% A’s they think they’ll stand.

probably nearer 26,500 ish ?

Assuming the Atyeo isn't split home and away it will presumably have 3700 Manure fans, as that was what Leeds got. That's approx 500 less than its capacity of 4200. S82 singing section probably only knocks off 100. If on TV there may be further reductions to accommodate cameras etc. I can see capacity being about 26k max. 

1 minute ago, Nibor said:

Spot on Spike.  Always seems odd to me that some fans resent new people coming along.  If you want the team to be successful, in the long run you need bigger support.  Yes it will change things, but overall for the better.

I think the resentment comes from the perception that some people are going to buy a ticket to see Man Utd without having “paid their dues” watching Oldham, Gillingham or Burton. People who have attended for years and sat through all sorts of rubbish will feel aggrieved if they now cannot get the “pay-off” of a ticket to this game.

It’s not resentment of new fans per se, it’s the timing of their arrival.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I keep seeing this ‘people who have never seen City before will get a ticket whereas I’ve been going for years....’ stuff. 

How is that going to happen? Not sure how many season tickets we sold but I’m guessing that’ll account for maybe 12k(?), then Forever Bristol members who by definition, the majority must be getting to a good few games or else what’s the point in the membership?

What’s after that? Straight to general sale or are there other levels of membership?

Surely hardly any, if any, will actually get to general sale? By the time you’ve taken out the away allocation, players and their hoardes of hangers on, corporates, season ticket holders and members, that’s surely going to be about it?

The club need to look at this for this game IMO.

@ExiledAjax  puts it well above. They need to really look at this for this game if at all possible IMO.

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

It's laughable that people are talking about plastics, Mancs in the home end etc. The football capacity is about 25,800, take away 4,000 Mancs that leaves 21,800. Take away 14,000 season ticket holders that leaves 7,800 tickets to be sold to the rest of City's membership and those with previous buying history. Unless City fans sell their tickets on then Mancs and plastics ain't getting in the City home end.

The main worry is plastics will buy memberships, despite never attending a game before and will be given the same priority as those who had membership before the draw was made. 

8k tickets isn't really that much if the rest of Bristol Sport clubs get "membership" priority, as well as City memberships - a quick look online shows Bristol Rugby tend to get around 8k this season and I expect most of them would qualify for "Forever Bristol" membership. 

Season Ticket Holders - first priority (one each)

Members who were members before 4pm on 26 Oct - second priority (one each)

Any name that appears on the Bristol Sport database as having previously purchased a ticket to watch City home or away - third priority (one each)

All remaining tickets (unlikely there will be) to go on sale on a first come first served basis.

Think that's the fairest way to ensure as many 'proper' City fans as possible get tickets for this one.

How about this?

We allocate the Atyeo for 4,000 City Season ticket holders who are lucky enough to be drawn out of the hat. These seats will be free as all will have ST.

The rest of the seats will be for the South West of England Plastic Manure fans at a fixed price of £100.

And then City go our and stuff them 3-0!

1 hour ago, tinman85 said:

Well we kept being told 27K stadium. Now capacity much lower hmmmmm

27.5K on paper...

However:

• First 2 rows of Atyeo not sold owing to pitch incursions v Birmingham
  • 10% reduction in areas with unreserved seating.
  • Read something about 10% reduction in away end too as anticipation away fans would stand- I don't know if that's additional or separate to the first 2 rows thing.

18 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Ah, didn’t realise you could still buy memberships. Surely if there’s any common sense involved then any memberships sold after the ‘draw’ won’t be eligible for tickets. 

That would be equally as wrong though.

Either accept new members on equal terms or don't accept new members. 

BCFC is a loss making business and has been for decades so on the very very rare occasion that demand outstrips supply then I have sympathy for the club in their efforts to maximise income. No matter what- there will be disappointed fans.

Ultimately- it's the current season ticket holders who are the financial life blood of the club and should ( and will) all get one ticket. The rest is all up for grabs and the club will try and balance fairness with income potential with the net result of people kicking off .

As an aside, I'd much prefer to be watching City v Man U twice next season than once in 37 years.

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think the resentment comes from the perception that some people are going to buy a ticket to see Man Utd without having “paid their dues” watching Oldham, Gillingham or Burton. People who have attended for years and sat through all sorts of rubbish will feel aggrieved if they now cannot get the “pay-off” of a ticket to this game.

It’s not resentment of new fans per se, it’s the timing of their arrival.

Well yes in this instance but I was talking about the more general resentment that seems to be an undercurrent sometimes.  It crops up every now and then usually when it's time to buy season tickets or move people around the stadium.

Archived