IGNORED

City vs Manchester - Dustbin Thread (merged)

City fan 1982

38 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

So you genuinely think that Mr A who buys his membership at 6pm last night and never attends another game all season deserves equal priority on this specific fixture than Mr B who bought it in August and has seen 5 games this season? 

Yes- absolutely.

Unless MrA is informed at point of purchase that his lack of games or timing disqualifies him from certain matches. Like I said- either sell a membership or don't but you can't get a little bit pregnant.

Meanwhile - let's say another 1000 or so members come on board yielding the club valuable income/data capture and possible 10% ( or whatever) decide to attend more often.

Mr Lansdown has made it quite clear about sustainability and the club must make the hay when the sun is shining.

It's one flipping match . If you buy a ST you are guaranteed to see every home match in the league. Buy a membership and you are guaranteed cheaper tickets and benefits only over non members irrespective of how many times you've watched Aldershot or Newport or Chester in a meaningless game.

12 hours ago, eardun said:

I would also recommend that those thinking about buying a half season ticket because of the Man U match check first that this will give them eligibility. I’d be doubtful that it would given the half season ticket doesn’t start until Boxing Day (after the cup match).

It would be sensible for the Club to offer cup tickets as an incentive to increase the ST base, that would certainly be maximising the revenue and not just for the one game. I think it's fair enough if those people get tickets, it's open to everyone at present.

City/Man U game is going to be a huge occasion for the whole City of Bristol... many many casual sports fans who aren't necessarily full on football fans would be interested in this one and many City fans who aren't season ticket/members will also not be able to attend the Gate live... and its Christmas Time!... So wonder if the powers that be in our fair City might consider screening the game free in Millennium Square for the people of Bristol? ... call it a Christmas present if you like, it'll be very popular giving people the chance to come together and share in the excitement and atmosphere of a great Bristol sporting occasion in a way that wont be possible watching TV in a bar or at home. It would bring people into the centre and would only be good for early Christmas trading in the area too...  What better way to get people together with a common cause and having fun at Christmas?  .... Theres enough in this one for everyone, whether enjoying it live at The Gate, via TV subscription or at the pub to allow free public access to it on the public screen without affecting normal commercial interests/considerations.. THIS IS A GAME FOR THE WHOLE OF THE CITY and its happening at the perfect time of year for sharing. 

For the powers that be... If its not possible - then tell us WHY NOT?  where there's a will there's a way lets get Bristol Buzzing!!

Jeez..............:facepalm:

Some incredible over reactions to the Man Utd fixture.

If you look at their fixture in and around December they have plenty of difficult PL fixtures to prioritise and it would be no surprise to see Jose rest his star players and send a second 11. 

This cup is no big deal for them.

1 hour ago, bris red said:

As others have said its on sky.. the demand wont be there.

It is a fair point, perhaps I need to check out the best and biggest screen in Bristol to see it on Sky.  Saying all that, I'll probably surprise myself and manage to buy a ticket anyway.

I still feel the demand might be there for something else though, first time we've played Man utd in my life time, in a fairly large cup game.  Wouldn't mean so much if we had them a round or two earlier, but to face them in the quarter finals - makes this a huge game against one of the world's supposedly biggest teams.

5 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

City/Man U game is going to be a huge occasion for the whole City of Bristol... many many casual sports fans who aren't necessarily full on football fans would be interested in this one and many City fans who aren't season ticket/members will also not be able to attend the Gate live... and its Christmas Time!... So wonder if the powers that be in our fair City might consider screening the game free in Millennium Square for the people of Bristol? ... call it a Christmas present if you like, it'll be very popular giving people the chance to come together and share in the excitement and atmosphere of a great Bristol sporting occasion in a way that wont be possible watching TV in a bar or at home. It would bring people into the centre and would only be good for early Christmas trading in the area too...  What better way to get people together with a common cause and having fun at Christmas?  .... Theres enough in this one for everyone, whether enjoying it live at The Gate, via TV subscription or at the pub to allow free public access to it on the public screen without affecting normal commercial interests/considerations.. THIS IS A GAME FOR THE WHOLE OF THE CITY and its happening at the perfect time of year for sharing. 

For the powers that be... If its not possible - then tell us WHY NOT?  where there's a will there's a way lets get Bristol Buzzing!!

Or watch it in a pub and spend taxs on things that are actually needed.

14 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Yes- absolutely.

Unless MrA is informed at point of purchase that his lack of games or timing disqualifies him from certain matches. Like I said- either sell a membership or don't but you can't get a little bit pregnant.

Meanwhile - let's say another 1000 or so members come on board yielding the club valuable income/data capture and possible 10% ( or whatever) decide to attend more often.

Mr Lansdown has made it quite clear about sustainability and the club must make the hay when the sun is shining.

It's one flipping match . If you buy a ST you are guaranteed to see every home match in the league. Buy a membership and you are guaranteed cheaper tickets and benefits only over non members irrespective of how many times you've watched Aldershot or Newport or Chester in a meaningless game.

Fair point. I can see both sides. If I didn’t have a season ticket I’d probably feel the same regarding whether I should get some kind of priority for buying a membership now. ! 

8 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

It is a fair point, perhaps I need to check out the best and biggest screen in Bristol to see it on Sky.  Saying all that, I'll probably surprise myself and manage to buy a ticket anyway.

I still feel the demand might be there for something else though, first time we've played Man utd in my life time, in a fairly large cup game.  Wouldn't mean so much if we had them a round or two earlier, but to face them in the quarter finals - makes this a huge game against one of the world's supposedly biggest teams.

Maybe it's just me but I'd be amazed if there was any value in the club doing anything other than hosting the game in the usual way.

Most people who have an interest will hopefully get a ticket and everyone else will either watch it at home or in a pub. 

Winning the game would just put us in a semi final. We won't have won anything.

13 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Absolutely, heaven knows we need some more speed bumps and cycle lanes!

These ideas also fall into the category of spend taxs on things that are actually needed - which in this case they may or may not be.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I see where you are going with it a bit, but as others put it, a whole generation of City fans have not seen a tie like this.

Liverpool in 94 surely the biggest before now...Everton 04 was pretty good but nothing like this tbh.

Supported City since 1998 and this my biggest tie in memory, so yeah I'd say the excitement is pretty justified tbh. I remember many ties v Brentford, or LDV vans games and on and on...or a year we lost to Crewe and then they got Liverpool away next round in League Cup.

That’s a fair point Mr P

Ive been fortunate to have followed City and England in relatively exciting periods of 1st div days , Leeds & Liverpool in 84 Forest , Liverpool etc and been lucky enough to have been to England World Cup Semi and a World Cup Final , European Cup Finals etc

Tend to forget that we have a generation who havnt had much to get excited about Cup wise since Anfield 

Sign of age I guess !!!

i am really pleased for the generation that have missed out , and feel privileged I guess to have seen us go toe to toe with Leeds , Forest or Liverpool with their first choice sides in a full blown tie

Fantastic financial and publicity opportunity for the Club and a nice reward for SL

And for a generation at least of supporters an exciting night 

So what’s not to like

The fact I’m not so ‘overwhelmed’  by it as some is neither here or there - as long as it’s a positive thing for the club , which it undoubtedly is it’s all good

Just can’t stand the over hype in football now and been saddened by the attitude of some posters - almost spoils the appeal of the game IMHO

Perhaps it’s just me but I am intrigued and thrilled about the overall progression we are making in overall terms and establishing ourselves in Championship , and results like Ipswich than I am with the Circus coming to town ;)

Pack v Pogba. £500,000 v £80,000,000. Go get him Packy. Like to see Bryan have a go at Rashford. Flint v Ibrama thingy. Đurić v Smalling/Jones. Smalling/Jones will be in for a tough match. Its all pretty exciting. City players have a great incentive to play well in the weeks between tomorrow at Sunderland and the cup tie. COYRs.

The key to matching Man U has to be pace. We need our more mobile guys out there. Definitely cannot start slow like we did against Palace. 

Great fan of Bobby Reid before this season but Taylor and Đurić looked decent together.

Dont envy LJ in selecting his team.

Based on my time working at AG, there will be some very careful scrutiny of anyone without a previous booking history looking to buy tickets for this game (even if they have recently purchased a membership). I was part of a team checking ticket applications for the West Ham Cup game a couple of years ago, and had a very entertaining phone conversation with a young lad from Croydon who had bought online tickets in the Williams during the general sale period. He claimed to be a proper 'fan of Bristol' who came to three or four games a season, although he couldn't quite remember the last one. I asked him why he didn't show up on our booking history and he said  he always paid cash on the day. I pointed out that you couldn't pay on the day, so then he claimed his mate always booked the tickets. I asked him his mate's name, but he only knew his first name, not his surname. I then asked him how he could explain the fact that I was sitting at my computer looking at his Facebook page which showed quite clearly that he was a West Ham fan. He told me to **** off and put the phone down. We cancelled his tickets and made sure they went to City fans. We were under no obligation to offer refunds to people who had knowingly booked tickets in the home end, but generally speaking we did. In his case we made an exception :-) 

I don't really understand the panic. Yes it's a brilliant draw but for me they haven't got the wow factor that they had under Fergie. 

I didn't renew this season after becoming disillusioned last season, but i'm sure if I want a ticket I'll get one. If not I'll watch it on the telly.

Last year it was Newcastle away that would definitely be sold out by season ticket holders yet somehow went to general sale and took a week or so at that before eventually selling out. 

Not every season ticket or member holder will buy tickets and even if they did it would probably still go to general sale.     

Archived