IGNORED

Supporting two teams?

Edge1981

This may have been done before (I’m sure it has) but the cup draw has got me thinking about how people support two teams. I know a couple of City season ticket holders who are also Manchester fans (both born and bread in Manchester) Both will be going and in the home end but say it’s the will be quietly supporting the away team. I just don’t get it? I’ve never supported any other club other than City and just don’t understand it. 

How do these fans support City but also support a premiership team?

I know city fans who also support Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea, Newcastle, Everton and Southampton. Funny that their support of the other team is a watching them when they are on Sky and maybe making a trip to watch them once every three seasons. They would still say that the Premier League team is their first team and City are their second despite going fairly regularly to watch City play  

Anyone else care care to admit to supporting another team and explain how supporting two teams work. Who would you support if City played the other team?

I keep an eye on Premiership results and catch the odd game but mostly to chat in work - not really a massive fan of any of them.

However in the big office I work in many, many people support Premiership teams, and quite a few support local teams to, particularly City.

Can't say any of them wouldn't want their local team to beat the Premiership side - the local team are their "first" team with the Premiership side more one they enjoy watching on TV...

7 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

This may have been done before (I’m sure it has) but the cup draw has got me thinking about how people support two teams. I know a couple of City season ticket holders who are also Manchester fans (both born and bread in Manchester) Both will be going and in the home end but say it’s the will be quietly supporting the away team. I just don’t get it? I’ve never supported any other club other than City and just don’t understand it. 

I know city fans who also support Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea, Newcastle, Everton and Southampton. Funny that their support of the other team is a watching them when they are on Sky and maybe making a trip to watch them once every three seasons. They would still say that the Premier League team is their first team and City are their second despite going fairly regularly to watch City play  

Anyone else care care to admit to supporting another team and explain how supporting two teams work. Who would you support if City played the other team?

Wasn't Wally equally conflicted when the Blue Few went to Chelsea?

I'm a city fan first and foremost but I also have a soft spot for Barrow (don't ask why....) somebody who I go with to city though is a "big" Manchester fan, and so has been pestering me to give my ticket to his brother who is also a Manchester fan, never understood it myself... 

Just now, Bristol Rob said:

Wasn't Wally equally conflicted when the Blue Few went to Chelsea?

He went to a game for his favourite team Chelsea, and sat there wondering who this awful team they were playing was.

Then realised they were the ones he'd bought so instantly cancelled the UWE and started looking at exit strategies! 

2 minutes ago, KingLear said:

Could be worse, my sister is a Man City fan. Never been to Manchester in her life and never seen them play live.

That's not the worse bit, she used to be a Man Utd fan, but switched allegiances because 'Man City are better now'. :blink:

That’s shocking! I remember quite a few kids at school becoming Blackburn fans almost overnight. I wonder who they all support now?

7 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

That’s shocking! I remember quite a few kids at school becoming Blackburn fans almost overnight. I wonder who they all support now?

Also her husband is a Man Utd fan, also never been to Manchester or seen them play live.

Not what I would call a 'football' household.

The only football team I support is Bristol City. There are a number of other teams I take an interest in for various reasons, but the only result I care about on a Saturday afternoon (or Tuesday night, Wednesday night, Friday night, occasional Saturday evening or Sunday lunchtime) is Bristol City's

My great grandad played for Woolwich Arsenal, mum was brought up in Highbury so yeah I also follow Arsenal and yeah if they’re on the telly yeah i’ll Watch them, but then again I watch match of the day every weekend so could now be seen as a football fan, nothing compares to City though. 

Being born in London I first supported a London club. When I moved to Bristol 20 years ago I wanted a team to support and my son went with a friend to Ashton Gate and I became a City fan by default and a season ticket holder. Still a soft spot for my original team and another south London team when I lived there for a few years. NB They all have one thing in common, RED.

50 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

Your two friends are entitled to tickets for the game being City season ticket holders, but it does seem odd. I just don't get how somebody could invest their time, money and heart into two different clubs... Your team is your soul, your identity.. It's like having two wives or something. I've had soft spots for other teams (all from other countries) over the years but it's never gone further than checking their results and going to the odd game

That said, if fans of other clubs living in the Bristol area want to buy a season ticket and follow the City as a second team then great! The more the merrier, and they are very welcome imho. Hopefully over time, they will become properly converted to our cause.

40 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I've always liked Aresenal ever since the early 70s and I always look out for their results and any live matches they're involved in but I don't support them. I don't go to watch them or buy any merchandise but with City I do both.

Big difference.

Arsenal are pretty boring, just like you. It's a perfect match.

Archived