IGNORED

Supporting two teams?

Edge1981

Adopted Atlanta United as my second team.  It's the only way I can get to to see live football.  They're a new MLS franchise that started this year and made the play-offs in their inaugural season.  They lost last night so that's it for this year.  The crowds have been tremendous, with 72k on Sunday and 67k last night.  It's actually refreshing to see such support, and they are on average a younger crowd.  The older folks over here in general won't accept football/soccer (despite NFL losing popularity) so it's down to the younger ones to embrace the beautiful game, and they are doing so in droves.  

City number one all day long but Spurs are a second team of sorts.

liked Gazza and Lineker when I was a kid so Spurs were a team I followed and never given up I guess. Have been to Wembley twice this season as City were away.

If it was City v Spurs I’d choose my home town club 100% 

The most committed and passionate City fan I know is originally from Manchester and supported Man City when he lived there.  He's been to pretty much every City game for years.

My daughter was a Chelsea fan until the day I took her to City when she was 9.  Now she's more committed to City than me and as well as her season ticket wants to go to every away game - she now hates Chelsea.

When I lived away I regularly watched Aylesbury United and loved it. Non league was completely different to watching City so there was no guilt there.

City and City only. I couldn`t imagine `supporting` another league club as I just couldn`t get worked up enough about it. I do follow a few non-league sides in that I keep an eye on how they`re doing - Torquay, Truro, Taunton and Bodmin Town but they`re just mainly due to where I`m from, where I live and people I know - except Torquay, I think everyone likes Torquay don`t they?

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

City and City only. I couldn`t imagine `supporting` another league club as I just couldn`t get worked up enough about it. I do follow a few non-league sides in that I keep an eye on how they`re doing - Torquay, Truro, Taunton and Bodmin Town but they`re just mainly due to where I`m from, where I live and people I know - except Torquay, I think everyone likes Torquay don`t they?

Yes I love Torquay too. Been to around half a dozen of their away games with a Torquay supporting mate. Never saw them win but the gallows humour of their fans was great

8 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I can see how it may happen in practice - lifelong city fan moves from Bristol to, say, Hartlepool and then watches the monkey hangers for a fix. Clubs then draw each other in the cup, fan is still city first and foremost but there is a part of him that would be happy if Hartlepool won. No issues in that, and having affinity for a second team in that circumstance is fine.

However, lifelong Bristolians with no family links to Manchester cheering Utd on? Nah, not having that. Just a bit sad...

NB - The correct answer is, of course, Bristol City and Bristol City U23s

Lived in Liverpool for a few years and went to a fair few Everton games and still don't have any feelings for them but your right I do always hope they beat Liverpool because Liverpool are like the gas on Merseyside,totally outnumbered 

I'm city born and bred as only living at top of road and being the local club you have to support them. 

Admittedly I was also Manchester United fan back in the day but soon got bored of them (back in mid 90s) and concentrated soley on city since. I guess you had to support a 'prem team' whilst at school to fit in. :blink:

I have always had  a soft spot for southampton  (I'm not actually sure why, but I always look out for their results)

I will be fully supporting city as I always do regardless of who we play. 

I think as a youngster of about 7 or 8 I bandwagoned. Had a Liverpool shirt as they were the top team. Then Bristol City sent some players to our school to take a PE lesson and I never looked back. I think this would have been around 1980 so my timing was impeccable. (Looking back they were probably being punished for being relegated!)

Had a lucky escape as all my folks grew up in Eastville a stones throw away from where Ikea is now, but my Dad has never been into football much so wasn't a gashead. I shudder to think what could have been!

Always keep a lookout for Yeovil as I live there now. Been up to Huish a few times, although the opposition team I have seen most there is City at pre season friendlies! Wouldn't say I supported YT though, more a casual interest due to location and their various City links in the past.

I agree with the majority here in that I think you can only really support one team.

Mine are Bristol City and Napoli, Bristol City because my father supports them and Napoli because his wife is from Naples and I ended up watching Serie A every week with them. Bristol City will always be my first choice, Napoli are more of my second team. I don't think I could support two teams in the same league system though.

Personally I think it's possible to support 2 teams passionately. All comes down to circumstance.

Mine, being a football mad kid my first memory of football was the 82 World Cup and Bryan Robson scoring that goal against France, became an instant hero of mine and has been ever since. The following season he scored in both the FA Cup semi-final and 2 in the replay against Brighton and hero worship was bestowed! Now my parents wouldn't take me to a City or Rovers game due to football violence in the 80's! But bizarrely would take me to Utd games ( still no idea why ) so I got to see Robson in the flesh and United became my team. 

Although I followed the results for City in the paper I had no real feelings for them until I signed Schoolboy forms for them at 14, got free a free ticket back then, so badgered my dad into taking me down and that was the start of the City love in! 

Bob Taylor and David Smith were my City heros and so to was Andy Cole, who became a firm favourite when he signed for United. 

But my earliest memories, my footballing education, the emotions ( crying as a 10 year old when Robson did his shoulder at the 86 World Cup ) was all about him and United. I don't see how you can just switch that off. 

But City are my home club, the place I was born so yeah I do feel passionately about both clubs and anyone who knows me will back that up! 

I never understood the whole my dad was from Manchester so I support them or them and someone else.

Its very rare you get someone say there dad was from Carlisle, Peterborough, Southend, Cheltenham or anywhere that doesn't really have a winning team and that someone supports them for a really obscure reason.

For me; I support Bristol City. My dad took me down when I was 8 years of age, and that was that for me. If City packed up in 82, I wouldn't have found another club to support. It wouldn't have been the same. That said though, I do enjoy watching certain other sides...Liverpool in their pomp, Barcelona, Arsenal when it's going well etc. Last season Chelsea won the Premier League. They could have played in Orange for all the notice I took. I didn't watch 'em (even on Match of the day) once. It's not a successful team I want to watch on the telly...it's style that counts. The win is a bonus

I kind of support Montreal Impact in the MLS, because I lived there for some years. I have always supported city though.

I found that I couldn’t share my support between two teams in the same sport, so now I just support city again. And Montreal Canadiens in ice hockey. I think I’m allowed that aren’t I?

I don't support them but I do occasionally look out for West Ham's results.

As a 5-6 year old, I couldn't watch Match of the Day but on a Sunday afternoon, I did sometimes get to see The Big Match in black & white at my grandparents. I really liked their young goalie Mervyn Day (still a City scout I think) who was one of the last to play without gloves. And then they won the 1975 FA cup final, the first game I ever saw live on TV at a time when that was the only one you could see live during the day.

September 1975 City draw West Ham in the League Cup. Dad got us seats in the Dolman. City lost but I was hooked and wanted to see more games at the ground. Of course we got promoted that season, and by the age of 7 West Ham were a thing of the past.

And I have no divided loyalties when we have played each other. City to win just as much as against any other club!

Moved to Bristol from Alton in Hampshire when I was 4 and  had Southampton as my kind of “ birth/home” team in my head ( Bizarrely remember early on at school being almost not allowed to support a Bristol team because I wasn’t actually born here !!). My dad took me to Ashton Gate at about age 8 AND then a few years later a lad from Hartcliffe who I fancied the pants off moved to my ( North Bristol) Primary school and that was it- City forever!! Bizarrely my eldest brother is a two team fan ( Man U being the other...). My 7 year old nephew has made the unpleasant outcomes which will occur should he support the wrong team come December VERY clear and all priorities are now correctly aligned!!

On 10/27/2017 at 10:30, bris red said:

No respect for any grown man that supports two teams, complete nonsense that you'd expect to hear from a primary school kid. Bristol City and Bristol City only for me.

Love Bristol City. Every other club irrelevant.  My 10 year old loves Bristol City only. He has been told though if he ever says he 'supports' another club i won't take him to Ashton Gate again. Hopefully won't find a Man utd shirt hidden under his bed ever.

On 28/10/2017 at 08:25, winterbournered said:

Personally I think it's possible to support 2 teams passionately. All comes down to circumstance.

That's true.

A circumstance, for example, can be the passion for football at 360°: that is (was) my case.

Here's my story.

I'm Italian, and I've always lived in Italy, so my first contact with football was the Serie A. I didn't have any interest in this sport, but many members of my family - first of all, my dad - were huge Inter fan, so one day I decided to try to watch some Inter matches on tv: surprisingly, I was captured by that stadium's atmosphere, the colours of the shirts, the class or the grit of some players (Ronaldo,Djorkaeff,Simeone,Zamorano,Bergomi, etc.)...and little by little, match after match, I began to understand why football was so charming for people around me, and I became a supporter too. :chant6ez:  Some people would disagree about this choice, claiming that everybody should support their local team  , but I don't think so: you can feel a bond with your town/city, without being automatically interested in its football team: the fact that my hometown club's crest is similar to AC Milan's one and the shirts have the same colours was another reason to keep it at a distance. :disapointed2se:

Anyway...some times later, I discovered English football, watching the Premier League on Sky, but it was only the first step: thanks to an Italian forum about British football, I started to appreciate the English Cups too, the stories of some clubs, etc. . The Calciopoli scandal in 2006 marked a rupture between me and Italian football :redcard: , and I continued to follow only Inter's games; at the same time, this rupture made my interest for English football even stronger, and in a certain way, pushed me towards City.

In 2007, I went to a pub with a friend of mine (who had a simpathy for Bristol Rovers), to watch a cup match between a Premiership side and a L1 team which was pushing for promotion in the league: Middlesbrough-Bristol City. Despite having watched a good amount of FA/League Cup matches, I had never seen these ''Robins'' in action, so I was curious...especially after I read that there was an ex Arsenal player in that team (David Noble).

Well, City's performance was really good, and Boro needed penalties to beat their opponents. I was impressed byt the fighting spirit and good quality of that team, and the passion of the travelling fans...so I started following City's results.

The promotion in the Championship gave me the possibility to watch more City matches:yawn:(thanks to an Italian sports channel), and slowly my relation with City growed, probably influenced - at the beginning - by the great results achieved by GJ's army. That's why I would say that my first true season as a City supporter was the 2008/2009 one, because I continued to follow the team despite the disappointement caused by the playoffs outcome: for me, it was the proof that Bristol City had become important for me, like it was a sort of final step in my long ''English football-related path'', and my visit to Ashton Gate in 2011 (BC-Posh) made my passion even more ''real''. :city:

Since then, years have passed, and nothing has changed: Inter and Bristol City are my football teams, and the rest of football occupies a lower place. :cool2:

That being said, there's obviously a difference in terms of support's level ;) : my bound with Inter is more deep, for many reasons (links with family/friends, origin of my passion for football, possibility to watch all the matches - sometimes at the stadium too - and to be fully immersed in the Nerazzurri's world, etc.), but this doesn't affect my support for City, which remains strong, in a different way. I was really happy when Inter won the Treble, and the same happened when City won the double (different levels but, hey, trophies are always trophies!)...but there is also the other side ot the medal: when both lose a match - especially an important one - the disappointment is double!  :sweatingbullets:

That's it.

Tonight I will follow City on BCTV+ and on Sunday I'll go to San Siro to watch Inter-Torino: the hard life of a football fan! :D

Ciao

Archived