IGNORED

Last season and Lee Johnson

MC RISK77

What a season we are having this far...4th place and a fantastic cup run and Lee now looking every bit the highly rated young manager many pundits suggest he is.

i can’t help thinking that last season and in particular the losing run was the best thing that could have happened to him. It takes real guts and resilience to stand your ground when pretty much 90% of the crowd wanted him gone during that period. Turning round and seeing a banner sayin o’drisvoll save us must have been a particular low point.

however the confidence lansdown showed in him must be a fantastic feeling in a climate where most teams would have got shot of him.

i think he has clearly learnt from that and is now benefiting from the experience.

still early days but he takes all the plaudits from me 10/10 this season from transfers...team set up..tactics and communicatio with the fan base.

i really hope he can take us places this season.

I think for the most part- those who wanted him out were relatively muted in the ground itself.

I know this forum is a good cross-section but the only real time- and we don't know how many stayed away during the awful run.

However, the only notable time at home I feel the crowd really turned was after the 2nd Fulham goal IMO.

Also, there was resigned exodus of people getting up and leaving after the 3rd v Cardiff- following a similar scenario v Reading in past League home game.

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think for the most part- those who wanted him out were relatively muted in the ground itself.

I know this forum is a good cross-section but the only real time- and we don't know how many stayed away during the awful run.

However, the only notable time at home I feel the crowd really turned was after the 2nd Fulham goal IMO.

Also, there was resigned exodus of people getting up and leaving after the 3rd v Cardiff- following a similar scenario v Reading in past League home game.

This forum bares very little resemblance to the crowd at Ashton Gate on a matchday! 

I like the forum but out matchday support were a real credit last season. The polar opposite of the moronic drivel posted by many on here. 

27 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Immense credit also to SL. Loyalty is a very rare thing in football nowadays and I for one am pleased we showed more of it than most other clubs would have.

Although SL had the final say in the matter, only one board member  voted to keep LJ last season and it wasn't Lansdown, So to say SL deserves praise for showing loyalty isn't strictly true.

2 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Although SL had the final say in the matter, only one board member  voted to keep LJ last season and it wasn't Lansdown, So to say SL deserves praise for showing loyalty isn't strictly true.

Was it? That does surprise me. JL presumably then or am I misreading things totally?

18 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

This forum bares very little resemblance to the crowd at Ashton Gate on a matchday! 

I like the forum but out matchday support were a real credit last season. The polar opposite of the moronic drivel posted by many on here. 

Too true, it seems many on here view this as the Bristol City complaints department!

The support last season were a real credit to sticking behind the team in a bad run.

Dont get me wrong, I do like a larf by some of the moaners on here.

Wanted him to succeed, didn’t see it happening, so wanted him out....even though I never want that to happen to any manager.

Definitely proved he’s capable of learning (and quickly)....nothing worse than stubbornness.

He’s actually gone back to his beliefs and principles, which he tossed out the window last season.  In the main, he’s recruited for that 442 he wants to play.  Think others have said that out and out wingers haven’t done it this season, but I think LJ likes the hard-working type, capable of drifting in on either foot (Pato and COD, even Brownhill early in season).

Its working.

Long May it continue.

17 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think next season could be the peak. We need to hold onto most of this group and really go for promotion in the 2018-19 season.

The potential is undoubtedly there and Johnson would be making steady progress

Are we not really going for promotion in 17/18? I am easily fooled you know!

20 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Are we not really going for promotion in 17/18? I am easily fooled you know!

I'm sure every club in the world is, but realistically most won't. It feels to me (you might disagree?) that the experience and confidence gained by our young squad could equip them to be at the required level next year, but that they're not up to it yet?

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

I'm sure every club in the world is, but realistically most won't. It feels to me (you might disagree?) that the experience and confidence gained by our young squad could equip them to be at the required level next year, but that they're not up to it yet?

I'd rather us strengthen in Jan and next Summer before trying for promotion this season.

3 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

So we are not going to try for promotion this season, which games have they decided to lose do you think?

I just think its too early, sure we may have in the cup beaten 3 teams in said league, but I just feel we need extra strength or we'd go right back down. Hey, I'll be very happy to admit I'm wrong if we go up and stay up.

29 minutes ago, mozo said:

Not sure Mozo.  We look good value for fourth most weeks. The problem is offers. Bryan must be on the radar of every side out of the big five as is Brownhill. 

Keeping players is key to next season and who we bring in. I don't think SL is thinking this is a dress Rehearsal for another year. If we are good enough we will stay up there. That's what Sheff Utd and Cardiff will be thinking. The division favorites are largely struggling so why not us. Bugger me if Wolves have played a better team than us on the night I will be amazed. Think Big. Is my thoughts 

5 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Not sure Mozo.  We look good value for fourth most weeks. The problem is offers. Bryan must be on the radar of every side out of the big five as is Brownhill. 

Keeping players is key to next season and who we bring in. I don't think SL is thinking this is a dress Rehearsal for another year. If we are good enough we will stay up there. That's what Sheff Utd and Cardiff will be thinking. The division favorites are largely struggling so why not us. Bugger me if Wolves have played a better team than us on the night I will be amazed. Think Big. Is my thoughts 

I'll pass on that offer, if it's all the same to you Oxo - no matter how big you are thinking.

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

No. maybe someone ITK can confirm but both Lansdowns were ready to pull the trigger,

I'm confused ( not difficult! ). But SL was ready to pull the trigger, but then only one member of the board wanted  LJ to stay & that swayed his opinion in the other direction? COYR 

29 minutes ago, CrazyInWeston said:

I just think its too early, sure we may have in the cup beaten 3 teams in said league, but I just feel we need extra strength or we'd go right back down. Hey, I'll be very happy to admit I'm wrong if we go up and stay up.

You might be right - but the extra money from being up and parachute payments would mean the players we can recruit within FFP would change massively. I not saying I think we'll go up this season but the squad we would have if we don't go up and keep out players and add to them for a go at promotion compared to the one you would have even if relegated from the prem would be huge. Better to go up come down and then go for promotion again than hope we keep our best players in the summer and try and build on it.

Absolutely bull...

Sorry, but if SL wanted LJ gone, LJ would be gone. Unanimous decision my arse. 

Your “source” is, I’m afraid either a bulls***** or a sh**tstirer.

Under what circumstances does a privately owned business with a majority shareholder require anything other than the majority shareholder to make a management change?

2 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

How many on the board ? Seven or eight I think. So, if only one voted to stick with LJ - how come he was not sacked ? This statement is obviously rubbish. 

SL has supported LJ consistently since he became Head Coach and it is now coming good. 

With regard to last season, yes it was dreadful in the last few weeks of 2016 and early 2017 but if you care to check my posting record you will find me supporting LJ throughout and I always thought he would come good.

As the OP says, he had the guts to get through that nightmare and is much stronger as a result. 

We are now seeing a settled management team, a squad now almost entirely chosen by Lee who are developing a great understanding between them, and the best of the youngsters (particularly Reid) developing into superb players. 

Feels good today after a great win away at Sunderland.

OH - and we are home to Man U just before Christmas.

Happy days ! 

27 minutes ago, redsontour said:

Absolutely bull...

Sorry, but if SL wanted LJ gone, LJ would be gone. Unanimous decision my arse. 

Your “source” is, I’m afraid either a bulls***** or a sh**tstirer.

Under what circumstances does a privately owned business with a majority shareholder require anything other than the majority shareholder to make a management change?

How about if that board member was the Chairman? Would that make a difference? 

Archived