IGNORED

Last season and Lee Johnson

MC RISK77

4 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

What a season we are having this far...4th place and a fantastic cup run and Lee now looking every bit the highly rated young manager many pundits suggest he is.

i can’t help thinking that last season and in particular the losing run was the best thing that could have happened to him. It takes real guts and resilience to stand your ground when pretty much 90% of the crowd wanted him gone during that period. Turning round and seeing a banner sayin o’drisvoll save us must have been a particular low point.

however the confidence lansdown showed in him must be a fantastic feeling in a climate where most teams would have got shot of him.

i think he has clearly learnt from that and is now benefiting from the experience.

still early days but he takes all the plaudits from me 10/10 this season from transfers...team set up..tactics and communicatio with the fan base.

i really hope he can take us places this season.

Plenty of so called supporters looking a bit thick now.

13 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

SL categorically stated in that interview that it was his decision alone whether LJ stayed…

Indeed he did. 

No major decision is made by anyone other than SL. 

The day to day running of the club he appointed MA to do. 

Obviously the footballing side is left to LJ.

5 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

What a season we are having this far...4th place and a fantastic cup run and Lee now looking every bit the highly rated young manager many pundits suggest he is.

i can’t help thinking that last season and in particular the losing run was the best thing that could have happened to him. It takes real guts and resilience to stand your ground when pretty much 90% of the crowd wanted him gone during that period. Turning round and seeing a banner sayin o’drisvoll save us must have been a particular low point.

however the confidence lansdown showed in him must be a fantastic feeling in a climate where most teams would have got shot of him.

i think he has clearly learnt from that and is now benefiting from the experience.

still early days but he takes all the plaudits from me 10/10 this season from transfers...team set up..tactics and communicatio with the fan base.

With respect...totally disagree.

I look at football and the way it sacks managers as completely bonkers.

Unfortunately....clubs and fans think this should be normal practice.

If you ran a normal business and sacked your manager and employees every two years, do you think you'll succeed?

Take that into football, and then give yourself transfer windows that only able you to operate fully for a few months a year, and expect to do well....Really?

Fans and owners 'expect' managers and players to achieve something every season. All going for 3 spots....

If we get knocked out in the QF of the league cup and end up finishing bang on mid table, you can guarantee many fans would think we've had a crap season....such is the fickle nature.

Football is complete madness and makes no sense at all.

Everyone is a complete hero one week, a complete **** the next.

3 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

You might be right - but the extra money from being up and parachute payments would mean the players we can recruit within FFP would change massively. I not saying I think we'll go up this season but the squad we would have if we don't go up and keep out players and add to them for a go at promotion compared to the one you would have even if relegated from the prem would be huge. Better to go up come down and then go for promotion again than hope we keep our best players in the summer and try and build on it.

Parachutes for better budget more money for better players. I like it. Still wouldnt it be more rewarding if we got there on our own merit and stayed up?

17 minutes ago, CrazyInWeston said:

Parachutes for better budget more money for better players. I like it. Still wouldnt it be more rewarding if we got there on our own merit and stayed up?

If we get promoted it is on our own merit. A season playing Man utd/City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Totenham, Arsenal etc at the gate and worse case scenario we get relegated and have tens of millions to build a even firmer foundation in the Championship as well as being a more attractive proposition to players.

16 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

This forum bares very little resemblance to the crowd at Ashton Gate on a matchday! 

I like the forum but out matchday support were a real credit last season. The polar opposite of the moronic drivel posted by many on here. 

While some peoples posting was shall we say a little over the top there is no ignoring the fact that for a great deal of last season results and some but not all performances were very bad, a record run of defeats in our entire 110 year history would have resulted in the sack for almost any other manager ever, I posted at the time if people learn from there mistakes we should win the league next season, well we aren't doing too bad at the moment so it looks like he did. 

5 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

What is the point of a board vote if it has no effect? What an awful corporate structure. 

Now there’s ironic post of the day given your username...although we have to assume that SL is not going to oversee the deaths of 50 million people...

And ”awful corporate structure” or not, the board of directors are there to deliver results, and answer to, the shareholders and, if one shareholder is a majority they can guide as much as they like but ultimately, as mentioned before, that shareholder can pretty much do as they wish...of course, the directors could resign if they were completely against it.

22 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

No. maybe someone ITK can confirm but both Lansdowns were ready to pull the trigger,

If only one board member wanted LJ to stay and both Lansdowns wanted him gone it sounds like the solo stayer is extremely powerful; that is the sum total 'result' of your two posts. In short I am confused!

23 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

johnson out

5 hours ago, redsontour said:

Now there’s ironic post of the day given your username...although we have to assume that SL is not going to oversee the deaths of 50 million people...

And ”awful corporate structure” or not, the board of directors are there to deliver results, and answer to, the shareholders and, if one shareholder is a majority they can guide as much as they like but ultimately, as mentioned before, that shareholder can pretty much do as they wish...of course, the directors could resign if they were completely against it.

Silence Western scum!

The politburo is an incredibly democratic entity. 

I agree with much of the OP's sentiment.

I am optimistic about how we are doing now and I think there is a distant possibility of promotion this season.

However, let's just get to the end of the season first before singing his praises too much because we don't want the team becoming complacent or too big for their boots.

On 28/10/2017 at 19:20, The Horse With No Name said:

Although SL had the final say in the matter, only one board member  voted to keep LJ last season and it wasn't Lansdown, So to say SL deserves praise for showing loyalty isn't strictly true.

That doesn’t make sense I’m afraid.

If SL wanted him gone and had the final say and voted to sack him, then I’m quite confident LJ would have gone.

Some statements on this thread which I don't think are quite correct :-

1) 'OTIB is a good cross section of the crowd at BS3'.  

- No, many come on here because it's a way of keeping in touch with and being part of the club they no longer get to see (for whatever reason). The most vocal have often been following the club from their sofa. Had last season's crowd at BS3 reflected what was being said on here by most then there would have mass demonstrations. There wasn't.

2) 'SL was loyal to Lee Johnson'

Not for one second do I believe this to be the reason Lee stayed on. All this 'bromance' and 'adopted son' spin was utter utter nonsense. SL may like and respect Lee but the minute he thinksLJ is not up to the job- he'll be gone. I think it was the same  case  for a few on here in that he could see the horrendous losing run was disguising the attributes of an intelligent and capable young manager . No one was better placed to see this than SL.

3) 'SL was overruled about sacking LJ as stated by an employee from the inner sanctum'.

The final decision is Steve's to make and no doubt he thought long and hard about it. Employees come and go at Bristol Sport and Steve Lansdown has not yet handed over the very biggest decisions at the club to a committee , his Board or an employee. He may well take close council and weigh up the advice given but he's the one pushing the button on the biggest issues.

19 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

The final decision is Steve's to make and no doubt he thought long and hard about it. Employees come and go at Bristol Sport and Steve Lansdown has not yet handed over the very biggest decisions at the club to a committee , his Board or an employee. He may well take close council and weigh up the advice given but he's the one pushing the button on the biggest issues.

Absolutely spot on.

SL didn't get where he is today by listening to the opinions of committees.......................:shocking:

Ive said many times before that the club is currently as healthy as I've never known and that's entirely down to SL employing professional people to run the club.

He finally decided that the club needed long term stability and that's why LJ is still the head coach. He trusts LJ to stick to his strategy of developing young players both from our academy and from other clubs academies. We've seen the likes of Taylor Moore, CoD and several other youngsters sign for City and go out on loan to play regular and proper men's football.

it amazes me that LJ gets criticism for adopting that strategy..........:facepalm:

The old way of chopping and changing the manager and all the managers backroom staff was destabilising the long term future of the club and SL has acumen and balls to change that.

@Robbored

I think that a lot of people in Football looked on with a sense of both incredulity and admiration that SL didn't pull the trigger last season. Although if the fans had truly turned on the Manager then he wouldn't still be here but they didn't. And for that reason I think the fans actually played a major role in turning our fortunes around.

The constant chopping and changing is counter productive to any football club and maybe just maybe there will be other Club's who are a little less trigger happy in the future if Lee continues to do ok. It will be a great example to quote.

I wanted johnson gone, I'm not ashamed to admit it, I spotted what was happening at our home defeat to preston and got laughed at by the group I go with,

I also said new season new slate and so far lee has delivered,

When we are poor we are awful that hasn't changed, but we also don't give up and everyone works for each other and gives 100%, which is all I ever want out of my team,

I still think we'll finish around 12th as we still lacking decent depth in some key positions (central midfield and fallbacks), if Lee solves that in Jan then we'll make the play-offs 

On 28/10/2017 at 19:20, The Horse With No Name said:

Although SL had the final say in the matter, only one board member  voted to keep LJ last season and it wasn't Lansdown, So to say SL deserves praise for showing loyalty isn't strictly true.

Exactly what I was told.....

Archived