IGNORED

Match Report - Poor 60 minutes then bossed it

Olé

I need to keep it short because I've been drinking for the past 24 hours but once again we see the new improved City - win the tactical battle second half and physically miles ahead and finish the game strongly.

Actually a poor game and we were second best for an hour against a very average side. The two short guys up front didn't work, we didn't know who to aim for and the passing on both sides was poor. I think the plan was for the wingers to get on the ball and get forward to create space for the forwards but Paterson over elaborated and cut back too much in the first half - in fact O'Dowda was our only real attacking outlet and with devastating affect for the final 20 minutes.

I think our opener was our only shot of the half (excluding Flint's which produced the corner) - classic sucker punch with two short guys and Reid heads in at the far post. Equaliser was deserved but shocking goal, 30 seconds of penalty area ping pong, Flint possibly pushed and they eventually turn in.

Second half didn't get better although our best move was Reid dancing across the edge of the box, backheeling for Pack whose shot spun loose behind the defence but City could not follow up. A word on Pack, he's our best ball player but he was poor and is not good enough at this level, too many careless or loose passes undermining good play.

Inevitably it was the subs that changed it although arguably we looked like we were starting to turn the screw before they were all on - Johnson is clearly winning his tactical battles. Đurić was an obvious change but indispensable, a class act who wins everything and brings others into play perfectly, there could not be a more perfect sub in windy scrappy conditions.

Then Korey Smith came on and for me we were such a better team. Our midfield is far better with him, he does the simple things and other players look far more confident going forward. From then on there was only one winner and Đurić and O'Dowda, who abused their opposing numbers relentlessly for the final half hour, obliged. Đurić latched onto a loose ball in midfield before an opponent, to initiate a move that would put O'Dowda clear on the right, he drew the defender, beat him (as he did repeatedly second half) and floated a perfect ball over which Đurić nodded inside the far post.

Đurić, what a player, raced over and jumped onto the advertising hoardings gesticulating to the City fans up high in the upper tier, in that ultra passionate way only Eastern European footballers truly manage. We were all going nuts and he got booked but it was worth it. We ran the final 20 minutes and O'Dowda abused the full back repeatedly, while Reid, Smith and Đurić worked neat triangles out of midfield. Injury time highlighted by us managing to hold the ball by the corner flag for 2 minutes such was our dominance.

Final word for someone I haven't even mentioned. Joe Bryan. What. A. Player. Not a good game but best footballer on the pitch by a mile. Best game in a City shirt and his coming of age as a true defender. Totally bossed it, opponents didn't have a chance, as flawless a defensive full back performance as I've seen at City and easy man of the match.

Fielding 6 Suspect kicking
Wright 6 Dodgy distribution but solid when moved to CB
Bryan 9 Best player on the pitch 
Flint 7 Solid at both ends but also dodgy with his distribution
Baker 6 Solid until muscle tweak. Missed his no nonsense for their goal
Brownhill 6 Didn't get into the game as much as he has done
Pack 5 Passing was loose and too often careless
Paterson 6 Wasn't direct enough, tried to be cute in the wrong positions and didn't end up getting forward
O'Dowda 8 Our best forward player, was all over their full back second half and nearly got a third that would make him MOTM.
Taylor 5 Struggled to get in the game and looked like he wanted to come off before he did
Reid 7 Sharp throughout and energy sets an example to others, had more joy with Đurić on when we got consistent possess

Pisano 7 Absolutely solid
Đurić 9 Class to me is doing everything right beating everyone around you and being a winner. Đurić is class.
Smith 8 Our most reliable central midfielder

To the pub.

4 minutes ago, Olé said:

I need to keep it short because I've been drinking for the past 24 hours but once again we see the new improved City - win the tactical battle second half and physically miles ahead and finish the game strongly.

Actually a poor game and we were second best for an hour against a very average side. The two short guys up front didn't work, we didn't know who to aim for and the passing on both sides was poor. I think the plan was for the wingers to get on the ball and get forward to create space for the forwards but Paterson over elaborated and cut back too much in the first half - in fact O'Dowda was our only real attacking outlet and with devastating affect for the final 20 minutes.

I think our opener was our only shot of the half (excluding Flint's which produced the corner) - classic sucker punch with two short guys and Reid heads in at the far post. Equaliser was deserved but shocking goal, 30 seconds of penalty area ping pong, Flint possibly pushed and they eventually turn in.

Second half didn't get better although our best move was Reid dancing across the edge of the box, backheeling for Pack whose shot spun loose behind the defence but City could not follow up. A word on Pack, he's our best ball player but he was poor and is not good enough at this level, too many careless or loose passes undermining good play.

Inevitably it was the subs that changed it although arguably we looked like we were starting to turn the screw before they were all on - Johnson is clearly winning his tactical battles. Đurić was an obvious change but indispensable, a class act who wins everything and brings others into play perfectly, there could not be a more perfect sub in windy scrappy conditions.

Then Korey Smith came on and for me we were such a better team. Our midfield is far better with him, he does the simple things and other players look far more confident going forward. From then on there was only one winner and Đurić and O'Dowda, who abused their opposing numbers relentlessly for the final half hour, obliged. Đurić latched onto a loose ball in midfield before an opponent, to initiate a move that would put O'Dowda clear on the right, he drew the defender, beat him (as he did repeatedly second half) and floated a perfect ball over which Đurić nodded inside the far post.

Đurić, what a player, raced over and jumped onto the advertising hoardings gesticulating to the City fans up high in the upper tier, in that ultra passionate way only Eastern European footballers truly manage. We were all going nuts and he got booked but it was worth it. We ran the final 20 minutes and O'Dowda abused the full back repeatedly, while Reid, Smith and Đurić worked neat triangles out of midfield. Injury time highlighted by us managing to hold the ball by the corner flag for 2 minutes such was our dominance.

Final word for someone I haven't even mentioned. Joe Bryan. What. A. Player. Not a good game but best footballer on the pitch by a mile. Best game in a City shirt and his coming of age as a true defender. Totally bossed it, opponents didn't have a chance, as flawless a defensive full back performance as I've seen at City and easy man of the match.

Paterson 6 Wasn't direct enough, tried to be cute in the wrong positions and didn't end up getting forward
O'Dowda 8 Our best forward player, was all over their full back second half and nearly got a third that would make him MOTM.
Taylor 5 Struggled to get in the game and looked like he wanted to come off before he did
Reid 7 Sharp throughout and energy sets an example to others, had more joy with Đurić on when we got consistent possess

Đurić 9 Class to me is doing everything right beating everyone around you and being a winner. Đurić is class.

To the pub.

Pretty much spot on as usual, although I would make Korey Smith my man of the match because he did change the dynamic of this game totally, with his presence we suddenly dominated midfield and took full control and created quite a few good chances, I don't think we would have won without him that's for sure.

Completely Agree- first 60 mins was like watching pub football though, no midfield, just punting it from one defence/gk to another - feeding off nockdowns, if we were going to play that way then Đurić was perfect. Ironically getting a big man on allowed us to boss the game, get the second balls and actually play a bit of football . Special mention for ODowda from me, he was class on the left today, looked every bit the international player he is, hes fit, strong, quick, and was unlucky not to score. 

Sunderland remind me of our relegation season, loads of overpaid has beens - they look a broken team - play like that they are nailed on for L1 next year. 

20 minutes ago, Olé said:

To the pub.

Drink more please. Great report 

Thanks Ole. On radio and your report, it sounded like a poor game but these were the one's we were losing last year.

If we can keep on grinding these results out, it will give us a good chance of upper half security long before the end of the season which will give us chance to give our Academy boys some game time. And next season to make a real push for the top six.

25 minutes ago, Olé said:

To the pub.

need to keep this short!!!!  Brilliant write up!!  Fair play all those that went!!  Quality day, what with England U 17's and all!!  Up the City!!!

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Thanks Ole. On radio and your report, it sounded like a poor game but these were the one's we were losing last year.

If we can keep on grinding these results out, it will give us a good chance of upper half security long before the end of the season which will give us chance to give our Academy boys some game time. And next season to make a real push for the top six.

If our academy players are good enough to get in a play-off pushing side that’s great. 

Happy Birthday, I understand, @Olé.  Hope the beers go down even better after this result.

From Reading this and listening on radio looks like all of our little strikers prefer a big man alongside them.  Two little ‘uns doesn’t seem to work.

From the rare views of an injury prone Djúric last season, to Tuesday v Palace, maybe they’ve solved the root cause of the injury and we are starting to see some of Form from You-Tube when he signed.  He looked mobile on Tuesday, far more than last season.

Bodes well.

on tuesday i was amazed at Đurić skills of using his size and strength to pull off textbook turns and shots/passes without a hint of committing a foul.very skilful player indeed. no pushing/pulling,just 'im doing this and you wont stop me' stuff.

great report Ole thankyou, another 3 points. gutted fams out for 3 months but pleased as punch this guy has come good right now

55 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

"Đurić latched onto a loose ball in midfield before an opponent, to initiate a move that would put O'Dowda clear on the right left"

This isn't the Post you know ;). Great report, Ole. Now about O'Dowda repeatedly abusing their full back ...

Be honest, Rob's match reports when he is pissed are still a million times better than the shite they "write" in The Post..

Spot on report. In short we were rubbish until Đurić and Smith came on, then we were well on top and controlled the game.

I can see why they went with two small strikers as the Sunderland defence isn't the most mobile but it really didn't work and Taylor in particular was very quiet.

It was far from a classic but the conditions weren't great and no trip to the north east is ever easy. We'd not have won this game last season that's for sure.

Ole,

Another insightful report - thanks from someone unable to get to games at the moment.

As a matter of interest, what do you think has changed so that since the break we seem to be slow to get going at the start of games?

42 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Ole,

Another insightful report - thanks from someone unable to get to games at the moment.

As a matter of interest, what do you think has changed so that since the break we seem to be slow to get going at the start of games?

Yeah, we've started the last three games very slowly indeed. It cost us for Leeds, probably should have cost us for palace, and appears like it happened again today. 

Weird, because it had been being us who started like a rocket.

3 hours ago, Olé said:

A word on Pack, he's our best ball player but he was poor and is not good enough at this level, too many careless or loose passes undermining good play.

Glad you see it too, as he does seem to have his fan club who protest whenever he gets criticised. During one spell in 2nd half he played simple passes straight to Sunderland players when under no pressure at all twice in two minutes. Did win a lot of headers today and made one superb tackle late on, but overall just not good enough if we have real pretentions to make the top 6.

Archived