IGNORED

Big Rivalry?!

mozo

For me the only team I really really dislike are Swindon Town. That dislike goes back decades so far back that I can't remember when I first experienced that dislike.

I dislike Cardiff as well. The away trips to Ninian Park were a fantastic experience.. That dump was so hostile and intimidating  toward us away fans that I loved it. 

Im sure that type of  aggressive atmosphere was lost when they moved stadiums.

13 hours ago, CrazyInWeston said:

I dont listen to Radio Bristol.

I dont have any "gas" mates or know anyone from the rovers team, I dont follow anyone on Twitter nor actively look for those who are moaning about us.

I can only go by what I see, I dont see any of this, you may do, on Twitter etc but I dont, nor that I'm looking for it.

Simple answer is, is that I dont care about rovers, many people dont, and vice versa. Sure some still have a gripe, some will always do, lets take Sunderland fans for an example, still bitter about that game 40yrs ago, it'll never go away, nor will our PAST rivalry with Rovers. I still think its time to move on, Cardiff are our CURRENT rivals.

What an odd point - just because they’re not in your personal social media echo chamber doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist.

Rovers are, and always will be, our biggest rivals. Cardiff are second - but their biggest rivals are Swansea. Difficult for the severnside derby to overtake the Bristol derby if both us and Cardiff have a more hated rival.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

For me the only team I really really dislike are Swindon Town. That dislike goes back decades so far back that I can't remember when I first experienced that dislike.

I dislike Cardiff as well. The away trips to Ninian Park were a fantastic experience.. That dump was so hostile and intimidating  toward us away fans that I loved it. 

Im sure that type of  aggressive atmosphere was lost when they moved stadiums.

Yes. The Swindon fans have always had a weird obsessive hate for anything Bristol City. They're kidding themselves if they genuinely believe Oxford are their main rivals, any Swindon fan I have ever known cannot stick us and they find it hard to hide it too. 

4 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

Yes. The Swindon fans have always had a weird obsessive hate for anything Bristol City. They're kidding themselves if they genuinely believe Oxford are their main rivals, any Swindon fan I have ever known cannot stick us and they find it hard to hide it too. 

From your user name, I guess you are from the Bath area? The City-Swindon rivalry is much stronger around Bath and West Wiltshire and the Swindon fans there really hate us. In Swindon itself and central Wiltshire, they look more to Oxford.

2 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

From your user name, I guess you are from the Bath area? The City-Swindon rivalry is much stronger around Bath and West Wiltshire and the Swindon fans there really hate us. In Swindon itself and central Wiltshire, they look more to Oxford.

Trowbridge and yes the West Wilts area has as much City fans as Swindon and the rivalry was always there as a kid. I dont know barely any Rovers fans. Only know of them thank god.

What a load of bollocks! It’ll always be the Gas who are our fiercest rivals! If you’re a real Bristolian, there’s nothing like it. I despise Cardiff, I’d like to see them in the League Of Wales where they belong, but it’s the wins against the Gas over the years I was growing up that gave me far more pleasure than beating Cardiff.

2 hours ago, Vespa Red said:

I'm surprised that ticket sales for this game don't appear to be as high as the "derby status would suggest.  I would imagine Cardiff have sold their allocation already but there are loads of tickets in all of our areas...and that's before we even consider opening the rest of the Upper Lansdown 

Early kickoff probably doesn't help, especially as some will assume the early kickoff means it's on TV.  Still a chance for sales to increase though - CPFC sales were at 13k under a week before the game. A decent result at Fulham and I can still see the need for the Upper Lansdown to be opened for general sale. 

I'm not sure if Cardiff have sold out - a quick look on their website yesterday had the original article saying tickets were on sale but I couldn't see any followups updating on sales. Also worth considering tickets are only being sold to STs/members. 

9 minutes ago, Stoke_Gifford_Red said:

Early kickoff probably doesn't help, especially as some will assume the early kickoff means it's on TV.  Still a chance for sales to increase though - CPFC sales were at 13k under a week before the game. A decent result at Fulham and I can still see the need for the Upper Lansdown to be opened for general sale. 

I'm not sure if Cardiff have sold out - a quick look on their website yesterday had the original article saying tickets were on sale but I couldn't see any followups updating on sales. Also worth considering tickets are only being sold to STs/members. 

Have to say again prices aren't helpful. I cant attend the game as away but had a quick look out of interest and to sit in the wings of the Dolman it's £30 a ticket - for members. So I assume it's £35 for non-members. For a midday ko when the atmosphere is always a bit more flat it's just not that appealing. Millwall home earlier in the season was 'double discount' so a members ticket in the SS was about £17 from memory, then did Palace in the West upper for £15 last week. Far more appealing prices ...

Archived