IGNORED

Your Best/Worse Player Pairing This Century

The Coach

As per title... yawn

As a supporter, what would be the best & worse player pairing you have witnessed so far since 2000?

This covers two centre back pairings, two central midfielders, and two strikers. Unfortunately, fullbacks, and wingers do not meet this criteria.

You have to justify each pairing choice, and also consider the fact that the pairing has to make sense, and would most likely work. For example, most people may have a strike partnership choice of Lita & Maynard. However, I believe most people would agree this striking partnership would most likely not work. Please give a short description of the pairing choice.

So for me, I would go from the top of my head....

Best Pairings:

CB's: Carey & Caulker - Carey was probably the best centre back in this league when we first came up back in 2007, and was so for a few seasons. Caulker was immense for us in his loan season, and with Caulkers height and power, and Carey's reading of the game. The perfect combination in my eyes. 

CM's: Hartley & Elliot - a Marvin Elliot first season... say no more. With Paul Hartley's midfield general ability. Not many other teams would dictate play. 

ST's: Abraham & Brooker - Tough choices, was either Abraham or Maynard but I feel Abraham had more in his locker, and for a first season debut he was astonishing. Was a big fan of Stevie B's work rate, and his ability of bringing others into the game. I think they'd been a very good pairing.

Worst Pairings:

CB's - Stewart & McManus - Two slow coaches who would most likely concede 4 goals before the half-time whistle. 

CM's - Kilkenny & Dinning - Kilkennys ability to stand there and point blame, and Dinning doing a Houdini. 

ST's - Savage & John - Bas Savage.. the Yeovil dive, how he made it as a footballer I do not know. With Stern Johns ability of unable to run longer than 3 foot.

There was some really hard decisions to make.. especially with the likes of Tinman, Maynard, Doherty, Coles, Adebola, etc.

Look forward to reading others!

Best pairings

CB - Techincally not a pairing but I’ve gone for Ayling, Flint, Williams. They were all pretty much ever presents in the best defence in the league. And I felt reassured whenever I read the lineup.

CM - Tinnion and Doherty. Both would be contenders for my City XI and were part of a Danny Wilson side which was a joy to watch.

ST - Brooker and Lita. Complemented each other’s game very well. If only we could’ve held on to Lita for longer and kept Brooker free from injury. I remember a game vs Hull, Peter Taylor wanted to sign the pair after that.

I’ll have to think about the worst

37 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

So for me, I would go from the top of my head....

Best Pairings:

CB's: Carey & Caulker - Carey was probably the best centre back in this league when we first came up back in 2007, and was so for a few seasons. Caulker was immense for us in his loan season, and with Caulkers height and power, and Carey's reading of the game. The perfect combination in my eyes. 

Best centre back in the league? Did he even make the team of the year? 

16 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Best

CB: David Rogers and Norman Huntet

CM: Gerry Gow and Jimmy Mann

ST: John Atyeo and Brian Clark

Worst - just about any combination in the Del / SoD era

This century?  They were good, but I think they’d struggle a bit :whistle:

3 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Best

CB: David Rogers and Norman Huntet

CM: Gerry Gow and Jimmy Mann

ST: John Atyeo and Brian Clark

Worst - just about any combination in the Del / SoD era

Dave Rodgers, a threat to both the City and opposition goal at corners! 

Best: Caulker and Carey, Hartley and Freeman (14-15), Maynard and Abraham (Kodjia also up there).

4 hours ago, Hellfire Corner said:

- and it didn’t help the abuse a number of fans were giving him at the time.

I agree, but he was especially bad at that time. It was sad because he'd been so, so good for us. Nyatanga was always an accident waiting to happen so he was just frustrating. The situation with Fonts was sad

Archived