IGNORED

Jens Hegeler....

spudski

....does anyone else think story about Jens having an operation on a cartilage in his knee, and staying in Germany for 3 months, is a bit of a smoke screen?

I said to a mate after he was subbed straight after Leeds third goal, that I doubt we will see Jens in a City shirt again.

Looked like words were said when subbed...and LJ doesn't seem to be that enthused when talking about it.

Strange one....

1 minute ago, Chris_Brown said:

No. 

I think you're seeing a conspiracy where there is none. 

If he was so badly thought of that one bad game would be enough to do for him then Magnússon would have started ahead of him, or Flint and Wright with Vyner at RB. 

No conspiracy.

It felt to me like a 'Taylor Moore' moment. Maybe I'm seeing something that's not correct, but I just have a gut feeling.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

It felt to me like a 'Taylor Moore' moment. Maybe I'm seeing something that's not correct, but I just have a gut feeling.

I get where you're coming from, but it just doesn't quite add up for me. 

I do, however, wonder whether ultimately he will manage to adapt to the Championship even if your theory is incorrect. 

18 minutes ago, spudski said:

....does anyone else think story about Jens having an operation on a cartilage in his knee, and staying in Germany for 3 months, is a bit of a smoke screen?

I said to a mate after he was subbed straight after Leeds third goal, that I doubt we will see Jens in a City shirt again.

Looked like words were said when subbed...and LJ doesn't seem to be that enthused when talking about it.

Strange one....

Yes I think it is rather ironic too that he is out for 3 months now after one shocking performance.

1 minute ago, Chris_Brown said:

I get where you're coming from, but it just doesn't quite add up for me. 

I do, however, wonder whether ultimately he will manage to adapt to the Championship even if your theory is incorrect. 

I think you may be right. I watched an interview recently with him about his role playing CB. Which he said he enjoyed and had played many times before in Germany. In fact he found it easier than playing midfield here, with 3 games a week.

He said he played CB his way...as he did in Germany. Bringing the ball out of defence into midfield, which he said is normal in Germany but not here.

Saying it will be up to the gaffer to determine whether that's what he wants in his tactics.

I get the impression the 'German way' is ingrained and something he believes in.

Playing out from the back and maybe losing the ball in a dangerous position, is excepted in Germany. A fine line and risk.

13 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

Yes I think it is rather ironic too that he is out for 3 months now after one shocking performance.

I didn't think he was shocking - not a dominant  CB,  but I thought the major mistakes were elsewhere, on the whole.

I personally think he will have a major say in the coming seasons. Looks absolutely like a quality “sweeper” to me and not a full back. 

I text a mate saying why the hell was he in when Magnússon was in the bench, so, sorry LJ I think that was a bad call. Hauling him off however, wasn’t. 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Strange one....

All very reminiscent of Adam Matthews spat last season when injured/mistake and stormed off...pity because Jens isn't like that.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Strange one....

I totally agree with you and said the same thing to someone today.

15 minutes ago, redsontour said:

I personally think he will have a major say in the coming seasons. Looks absolutely like a quality “sweeper” to me and not a full back. 

I text a mate saying why the hell was he in when Magnússon was in the bench, so, sorry LJ I think that was a bad call. Hauling him off however, wasn’t. 

Yup, looks like a sweeper to me if he's going to be in defence and not midfield. Seem to remember us getting a continental sweeper before with Vilmos Seebok. Both good players in their own right but if we're not going to play that way there's no point in getting those type of players in.

Well, unlike Diedhiou who we all saw get injured Hegeler didn't do so in public sight and didn't look to be remotely injured when he went off.

Add to that a pretty gutless performance, the head coach giving him the hook immedately after the third goal went in and to me us having absolutely no idea some ten months after signing him as to what his best position really is, (is he a centre back? a holding midfielder? LJ then made some bizarre comment recently about trying him as a number 10!) then Spudski may well be right.

I can't see him featuring for us again either.

I think that thinking Jens will leave in Jan is probably bang on, for the reasons identified - i.e. He doesn't really "fit" into the system, is ingrained in a different way of playing etc.

However, to then jump to say he is in effect persona non grata until that move seems a leap. We've got a lot of injuries, could get more, and even if Jens is now 5th choice CB/4th CM why pay his wages and not have him as an option?

Taylor was different - he was given a loan.

For me, Jens injury seems kosher. He needs an operation and the only question is whether we're giving him that op to make the sale easier or get him back to fitness for us.

Such a classy player, I would have loved to have seen him given a run in the centre of midfield alongside Brownhill and Smith. The sort of player we need to break through stubborn 9 man defences ala Bolton and Burton as well as the better back fours at home in particular.

I have wondered for sometime if LJ would pick LJ?

I have the same feeling. Said to some mates 3 months is conveinient as it takes up january. Told them I don’t think he will come back from Germany. Though it does not seem like something the club would do. Maybe Jens has asked? Or maybe he is actually injured? Idk I guess we will find out in January

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Strange one....

I don't think you're being paranoid, I thought the same.....

I think Jens is a classy player.  I’ve seen him doing things on the ball that very few of our squad can match.

But do I think we play a style / tactic that fits him?  No, although I think some made him a scapegoat for the Leeds game, I think he is best suited at CB.  Barnsley and Stoke he was fine against different strike forces.  But in the current squad, LJ is gonna pick Baker, Wright and Flint over him every time.

His only real hope is either if we change to a back 3/5, or a midfield 3.  I see little sign of that happening on any regular basis.

What did we pay for him?  £150k (or was it £300k).  Would suggest we could recoup that, no probs.

As for conspiracy?  No idea, could have family problems back home, who knows.

I think he's finished here.

I sit in the Lansdown behind the bench, LJ ALWAYS shakes every players hand and acknowledges them as they come off when subbed off........he totally blanked Jens and wouldn't even look at him.

I think he maybe had a slight issue (with the cartilage) that he's been playing through - and LJ has said go back to Germany, get yourself fully fit and get your agent to find you a club there ready to move in January as your game isn't suited to the Championship.

I'll be amazed if he comes back a d plays.

9 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

I think he's finished here.

I sit in the Lansdown behind the bench, LJ ALWAYS shakes every players hand and acknowledges them as they come off when subbed off........he totally blanked Jens and wouldn't even look at him.

I think he maybe had a slight issue (with the cartilage) that he's been playing through - and LJ has said go back to Germany, get yourself fully fit and get your agent to find you a club there ready to move in January as your game isn't suited to the Championship.

I'll be amazed if he comes back a d plays.

Was very excited when we signed him. Hoping he could offer some steel and creativity but appears to struggle. Expect he will be moved on. 

What I find interesting is the amount of LJ has fallen out with players stories. 

Tomlin. Half a dozen different ones

Matthews. Mentioned above

Abraham. Dodgy drivers license

Flint. WAnts a move

Freeman. Refused to sign

Ayling.  Post Cheltenham apology

Hegeler. Per OP

GON. Complained to SL

Not to mention various staff. 

Funny thing is I don't have an issue with it when we are winning  :laugh:!

I don't understand the people who want to see him in midfield again - he was completely outclassed last season (was it Fulham at home?) and apart from a good game vs Stoke - when I actually thought he was lucky on two occasions (or perhaps in the right position in the second half) to have the ball bounce off him when the forward tried to beat him.

Like other posters I also haven't ever seen him play so well that I would welcome his name in the starting line-up - we have better in midfield and defence, he needs to move on.

The truth about Hegeler is that he's just not very good and I've been consistent in that opinion since he joined.

His two best games in a City shirt have probably been on his debut in a dour 0-0 draw versus L1 Fleetwood and this season versus a completely lacklustre Stoke side.

LJ has commented on him needing to get up to "Championship speed" and it hasn't happened and is unlikely to in the near future. 

Just not up to the frantic pace of English football unfortunately, poor signing but hey thankfully they seem to be in the minority these days.

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

What I find interesting is the amount of LJ has fallen out with players stories. 

Tomlin. Half a dozen different ones

Matthews. Mentioned above

Abraham. Dodgy drivers license

Flint. WAnts a move

Freeman. Refused to sign

Ayling.  Post Cheltenham apology

Hegeler. Per OP

GON. Complained to SL

Not to mention various staff. 

Funny thing is I don't have an issue with it when we are winning  :laugh:!

Half of those are hearsay!  

Archived