IGNORED

Paul Cheesley

Elruliri

He was before my time, I've seen the old footage but was he as good as I've been told. Would he of played for England and who does he compare to of today's players. I've met him a few times and I must say what a lovely down to earth bloke he is. From what I've heard we were robbed of a excellent player, who was about to be in his prime.

I was only a young lad of about 9/10 back in 75/76 when Paul Cheesley was such an outstanding CF. I would say the closest player of today's era would be Andy Carroll just purely on his ability in the air but he had a bit more to his game than Carroll and could have played for England had his injury not finished him

The classic " what might have been story".

I think it was in our promotion season we played W Ham in the league cup. He was up against top flight defenders ( Frank Lampard snr was one) and made them look ordinary.

He was excellent in the air, had strength, power and decent pace and could hold the ball up brilliantly. Could have been more prolific, as I don't think he scored as many as legend leads us to believe.  He was an absolute handful and I have little doubt that he would probably have gone to a bigger club and would also have played for England. I think I am right that he turned down an England call up to play for City in a key game - others might know better and confirm if this was the case.

One of those players who you always felt would make something happen and I absolutely loved watching him play.

I've never saw him play, but my dad summed it up by saying him and Paul Mariner of   Plymouth were the best young Centre forwards about at the time. Dad said that Chessley was better than Mariner. For those that don't know, Mariner went onto play in the top flight for Ipswich and Arsenal and was also capped for England on a number of occasions.

100% would have played for England, he already been picked for the U23 team (unusual back then for a second division player when the first div was all British).

Shearer the nearest comparison, he was way better than Carroll . Lethal in the air, powerful shot with either foot, Never bullied, held the ball up.

My favourite City player along with Gerry Gow.

39 minutes ago, downendcity said:

The classic " what might have been story".

I think it was in our promotion season we played W Ham in the league cup. He was up against top flight defenders ( Frank Lampard snr was one) and made them look ordinary.

He was excellent in the air, had strength, power and decent pace and could hold the ball up brilliantly. Could have been more prolific, as I don't think he scored as many as legend leads us to believe.  He was an absolute handful and I have little doubt that he would probably have gone to a bigger club and would also have played for England. I think I am right that he turned down an England call up to play for City in a key game - others might know better and confirm if this was the case.

One of those players who you always felt would make something happen and I absolutely loved watching him play.

We drew away at WHU the Cash saved a pen. Lost at home 1:3. 75 I thought. But could be wrong. 

34 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

I've never saw him play, but my dad summed it up by saying him and Paul Mariner of   Plymouth were the best young Centre forwards about at the time. Dad said that Chessley was better than Mariner. For those that don't know, Mariner went onto play in the top flight for Ipswich and Arsenal and was also capped for England on a number of occasions.

Mariner is a decent comparison but the Cheese was bigger. 

In true City fashion after signing from Norwich (Cheese is a Bristolian but we weren't very good at picking local talent back then) he took shit something fierce as he took a few games to settle in. Then he scored a cracking header from a long way out against Carlisle I think and never looked back. 

Geoff Merrick thought Cheese would play for England as did everyone else. Great partnership with Tom Richie helped with Clive Whitehead and Trevor Tainton providing the Ammo and Gerry Gow killing it in central midfield. A great team. Cheese was the business but Gerry was king! 

If i was making comparisons...Lukaku with Skill  

Paul Cheesley was a a great centre forward who was still developing his considerable talent in a very good team. For those who did not see him, look at the footage of the opening game in the First Division against Arsenal.

I was living in London at the time so missed the next game that ended his career. If he had not been injured, Bristol City would certainly not have been fighting relegation that year.

Reports are that his rehabilitation programme was crude at best. I often think how modern surgical treatment and aftercare would have saved that promising career. He would have played for England. He was that good. 

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

Dad was right, Paul was better than Mariner in every aspect. Faster, 2 footed, stronger and better in the air for starters.

Definitely England's centre forward in the making when fate struck imo.

No doubt Cheesely was a crucial part of the City's push up into Div 1 and would have made a real impact had he not suffered a terrible injury. His partnership with Tom Ritchie was something we really haven't seen the like of since (although Super Bobby Taylor was a top scorer later). I remember him battling for crosses with Stoke's Peter Shilton on a couple of occasions but landed badly on the third - and that was the sad end to what could have been. Only a game and a bit into the Division 1 fixtures and it was over. What could we have achieved if he hadn't...

Obviously I didn't see as much of him as you lot, but he was something special at the time.  He had a lot more skill to his game than people anticipated for a big bloke, and I can't imagine many of today's prima-donnas coping with the tackles that used to fly in back then.  I think he would have become a regular in the England squad if fate hadn't been so cruel. 

10 hours ago, REDOXO said:

We drew away at WHU the Cash saved a pen. Lost at home 1:3. 75 I thought. But could be wrong. 

Mariner is a decent comparison but the Cheese was bigger. 

In true City fashion after signing from Norwich (Cheese is a Bristolian but we weren't very good at picking local talent back then) he took shit something fierce as he took a few games to settle in. Then he scored a cracking header from a long way out against Carlisle I think and never looked back. 

Geoff Merrick thought Cheese would play for England as did everyone else. Great partnership with Tom Richie helped with Clive Whitehead and Trevor Tainton providing the Ammo and Gerry Gow killing it in central midfield. A great team. Cheese was the business but Gerry was king! 

If i was making comparisons...Lukaku with Skill  

He did take some shit when he first came in I remember my dad saying "we could have bought a lamppost for  £300 and it would have done the same job". But he was perhaps the ultimate in "buying for potential". Apparently Alan Dicks cut his off season short and spent a month working with him on a one to one basis before the  preseason started. He looked a completely different player at the start of that season and once he started scoring, his confidence was such that he just seemed to grow in stature.

An England player for sure. 

Just a note in defence of Mariner, I thought where he did have an advantage was in movement off the ball. I remember a game where Ipswich beat us 2 0 and he took up positions that completely confused Collier and Merrick He led the line beautifully that day.

I was at “that Highbury game” with some Arsenal season ticket holder friends ( I was living in London at the time). They said that Paul Cheesley’s performance that day was one of the best that they had seen. They told me that on that performance they would far rather have signed him than Malcolm Macdonald ( who was making his debut for the Gunners.

He was the best centre forward I can ever remember seeing at the gate. Like Shearer, but bigger, stronger and quicker with both headers and shots like bullets.

His injury happened right in front of me and was simply a bad fall when challenging Peter (does your wife kno where you are) Shilton. He doesn't blame Shilton and nor do I.

With modern techniques, I often wonder whether his knee could have been fixed, but who knows. Would surely have played for England though if it was.

Local lad wh started out at Norwich and bought for a bargain 30k.  Did try to make a couple of comebacks without success and managed to play a bit of Rugby for Gordano.

He doesn't like Alan Dicks for some reason though.

Archived