IGNORED

‘Gay’ computer generated footballers!

formerly known as ivan

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Oh for ***** sake, what does it matter? They're footballers, I don't care what their sexuality is.

I get what you're saying but just because you feel that way doesn't mean that gay players don't face a form of oppression because of their sexuality. 

Do you not think that it's a shame that players who are gay can't live an open and free life because of potential issues within their industry and possible persecution from certain sections of the public. 

Regardless of how you feel about it, there are obviously issues within the profession as no one seems comfortable to come out. And while this many only be a small gesture from the game developers, I see nothing wrong with a little show of support, every little bit of awareness helps.

Football Manager is a fantastic game. I should know; I spent over 1000 hours on the last two versions and am smashing through the beta of this year's release already. It's a game that prides itself on intense, detailed realism, such as its featuring of Brexit last time around. The addition of allowing the 'fake' players in later seasons to come out as gay is just an addition to this realism, not just a publicity stunt or trying to force things down people's throats. Think about it: if a professional football came out as gay, would it be featured in the news? Of course. That's all this addition is - a single news article in your inbox informing you. Nothing else changes. There isn't a little rainbow icon on his profile or anything like that. It's just an added realistic feature. And if you've got a problem with people coming out in the first place, just look at 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' to hopefully see a reflection of your personal, closeted homphobia. People are gay, get over it.

4 hours ago, RedDave said:

Publicity stunt.

if this were the case the publishers would have announced and made a song and dance about it. instead, a random player using the beta just happened to stumble across the feature. this is a game noted for its realism with infinite possibilities. players go awol, get sick, have massive life milestones in the game, there was even a brexit element in the last edition. this is just another layer to this. it's nothing to do with alC or publicity, and if it even just in one instance manages to change someone's perception, player or fan, about what it means to be gay in football, then all the better for it I say. 

When football players come out as gay they will get "Does your boyfriend know you're here?" chants or "You dirty gay *****" if they put the boot in. They're not going to get beaten up by their own fans or anything.

They will however get an absolute storm of media attention because of the many and various campaigns about this; their private life will no longer be their own.

I wonder if it is this latter, rather than the purported neanderthal attitude of some fans, that is stopping them.  And that in the press their whole football career will always be a mere footnote to the "First openly gay pro footballer" tag.

8 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

Presumably since the idea is to imitate real life, and one day a gay player will come out?

Rocket science, I know.

Then why not wait for that day to happen? To suggest this is going to help a gay footballer come out is ridiculous IMO.

Plus there are plenty of other sports games out there and as far as I’m aware there is no reference to sexuality in any of them?

As a gay man and avid football fan in general and a follower of Bristol City for the past 40years I would just like to say...what a joke and ‘non feature’ this is. My homosexuality has absolutely no baring on this part of my life ie: being a football fan. What a player does in his private life has nothing to do with their ability to play football. 

I am getting pretty tired of the gay debate rearing it’s head periodically on here and in the football world in general. In this day and age when it really doesn’t matter who you love, as long as it’s consensual and legal I don’t get why this is so debated so often. In a weird way the mere debate singles gay people as different hence the need to debate it. It’s a different part of the entertainment business but when Steven Gately came out as gay despite singing love songs with female based lyrics no one really said anything. Sam smith admitted he was gay a few years back and was met with a huge wave of ‘so what’?

I just wish that one player, any player would come out as gay so we can experience the huge collective shrugging of shoulders and avalanche of apathy from the football community in general, and we can put to rest this ‘huge issue’  once and for all. Sure he’s going to get stick from away fans, but as long as it’s light hearted and not meant offensively so what. Rather erm rotund  players get sung at, so do overtly tall or short players. And gingers, and those with alarming hair cuts. As long as the chants are not along the lines of the abuse black players got in the bad old days, I really couldn’t give a damn.

gay people in general are pretty tough cookies, us older ones who lived with it being illegal then Section 28 (google it, it’ll make your toes curl) and the general anti gay feelings in the 70’s and 80’s, then being blamed for the ‘gay plague’ that was AIDS, won’t be offended by a ‘does your boyfriend know you’re here’ chant at a gay player. Because probably he does and he’s sat with the other WAGS in the stand...

10 minutes ago, gl1 said:

As a gay man and avid football fan in general and a follower of Bristol City for the past 40years I would just like to say...what a joke and ‘non feature’ this is. My homosexuality has absolutely no baring on this part of my life ie: being a football fan. What a player does in his private life has nothing to do with their ability to play football. 

I am getting pretty tired of the gay debate rearing it’s head periodically on here and in the football world in general. In this day and age when it really doesn’t matter who you love, as long as it’s consensual and legal I don’t get why this is so debated so often. In a weird way the mere debate singles gay people as different hence the need to debate it. It’s a different part of the entertainment business but when Steven Gately came out as gay despite singing love songs with female based lyrics no one really said anything. Sam smith admitted he was gay a few years back and was met with a huge wave of ‘so what’?

I just wish that one player, any player would come out as gay so we can experience the huge collective shrugging of shoulders and avalanche of apathy from the football community in general, and we can put to rest this ‘huge issue’  once and for all. Sure he’s going to get stick from away fans, but as long as it’s light hearted and not meant offensively so what. Rather erm rotund  players get sung at, so do overtly tall or short players. And gingers, and those with alarming hair cuts. As long as the chants are not along the lines of the abuse black players got in the bad old days, I really couldn’t give a damn.

gay people in general are pretty tough cookies, us older ones who lived with it being illegal then Section 28 (google it, it’ll make your toes curl) and the general anti gay feelings in the 70’s and 80’s, then being blamed for the ‘gay plague’ that was AIDS, won’t be offended by a ‘does your boyfriend know you’re here’ chant at a gay player. Because probably he does and he’s sat with the other WAGS in the stand...

I'm surprised the 'eternally offended' haven't jumped on the 'WAG's' term mate....to be 'politically correct' it should be along the lines of BWAG's....sounds like something Roy Hodgeson would say :laugh: ;-)

8 hours ago, Lympsham Red said:

Football Manager is a fantastic game. I should know; I spent over 1000 hours on the last two versions and am smashing through the beta of this year's release already. It's a game that prides itself on intense, detailed realism, such as its featuring of Brexit last time around. The addition of allowing the 'fake' players in later seasons to come out as gay is just an addition to this realism, not just a publicity stunt or trying to force things down people's throats. Think about it: if a professional football came out as gay, would it be featured in the news? Of course. That's all this addition is - a single news article in your inbox informing you. Nothing else changes. There isn't a little rainbow icon on his profile or anything like that. It's just an added realistic feature. And if you've got a problem with people coming out in the first place, just look at 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' to hopefully see a reflection of your personal, closeted homphobia. People are gay, get over it.

I don't want gay footballers forcing their sexuality down my throat. 

Equality regardless of sexuality, race or religion. We are all human beings .  

14 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I don't want gay footballers forcing their sexuality down my throat. 

Equality regardless of sexuality, race or religion. We are all human beings .  

How is saying “the club is proud to announce our latest player has been called up for England. He said to our official twitter feed, ‘it’s been a great year, finally got married to Brian my long term partner and now a call up for England, I’d like to thank all the Bristol City fans for all their tweets’ forcing their sexuality down your throat.

we won’t pin you down and make you watch ‘Brokeback Mountain’ over and over....

2 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Then why not wait for that day to happen? To suggest this is going to help a gay footballer come out is ridiculous IMO.

Plus there are plenty of other sports games out there and as far as I’m aware there is no reference to sexuality in any of them?

Since every day of the game is played in a fictional future, why not?

And by definition one game will have to do it before the others.

If the idea of this bothers people so little, it's funny how much of a backlash it's created isn't it?

1 hour ago, RED4LIFE said:

Absolutely no problem with adding this 'feature' to the game, especially if it makes it more normal to certain people. 

I do like that it adds a boost to your commercial finances due to more LGBT fans though.

Wouldn’t that make the LGBT fans the problem here..? Why aren’t they supporting the team when it’s full of straight players?!

If an existing fan stops supporting because of a gay play, he’ll be a bigot. Yet it’s ok for LGBT fans to only support a team with a gay player..?

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Wouldn’t that make the LGBT fans the problem here..? Why aren’t they supporting the team when it’s full of straight players?!

If an existing fan stops supporting because of a gay play, he’ll be a bigot. Yet it’s ok for LGBT fans to only support a team with a gay player..?

Us LGBT fans will only support a team who’s kit matches our eye liner.

1 minute ago, gl1 said:

How is saying “the club is proud to announce our latest player has been called up for England. He said to our official twitter feed, ‘it’s been a great year, finally got married to Brian my long term partner and now a call up for England, I’d like to thank all the Bristol City fans for all their tweets’ forcing their sexuality down your throat.

we won’t pin you down and make you watch ‘Brokeback Mountain’ over and over....

If it helps you my friend , I don't want heterosexual players forcing their sexuality down my throat either. 

Playing a game of football is public life . Playing hide the sausage is private . 

I watch sport to escape the ' real ' world for a moment.

Keep politics out of it during the game . March on the streets afterwards for the just  causes , as I have done .

Peace be with you .

56 minutes ago, gl1 said:

Surely the fact that not one gay player has come out shows that there is an issue with the perception of being a homosexual footballer. I completely agree that it doesn't 'actually' matter. But for some reason players aren't comfortable with it being public knowledge. It's not about being able to shove it down anyone's throats @Major Isewater.  But I can imagine being in such a high profile profession, having to hide such a large part of your life must be quite stressful. 

6 hours ago, Greedo said:

if this were the case the publishers would have announced and made a song and dance about it. instead, a random player using the beta just happened to stumble across the feature. this is a game noted for its realism with infinite possibilities. players go awol, get sick, have massive life milestones in the game, there was even a brexit element in the last edition. this is just another layer to this. it's nothing to do with alC or publicity, and if it even just in one instance manages to change someone's perception, player or fan, about what it means to be gay in football, then all the better for it I say. 

Okay i will rename it a publicity feature then.  Included to be discovered and then talked about.  Its worked a treat.  Everyone knows the new Football Manager is now out

4 minutes ago, RedSA said:

Surely the fact that not one gay player has come out shows that there is an issue with the perception of being a homosexual footballer. I completely agree that it doesn't 'actually' matter. But for some reason players aren't comfortable with it being public knowledge. It's not about being able to shove it down anyone's throats @Major Isewater.  But I can imagine being in such a high profile profession, having to hide such a large part of your life must be quite stressful. 

Why should a private matter be public knowledge ? 

How do you know gay footballers are hiding their sexuality ?

are you present in training ? 

Do you go on social evenings out with the lads when ' partners ' are present ? 

It just really is none of our business.

As I previously wrote I believe in justice and freedom regardless of race, sex or religion.

22 minutes ago, RedSA said:

Yes it does show there is an issue, but I’m guessing no one wants to be the first, we all saw what happened to Justin fashanu. You’re right I bet it is quite stressful. I get it to a degree in my life, I’m not remotely camp, and have awkward coversations at the gym, when people there refer to ‘my missus’ when I’ve been careful to keep it gender neutral ‘partner’ ‘other half’ etc. And I don’t corrrect them, but I do at work when colleagues make the same mistake. But then I don’t get changed in the same room as my work colleagues so it maybe that, I don’t want to make fellow gym goers feel awkward if there’re getting changed with a gay guy there. 

Anyeay, back on topic, I still think the gay feature on this game is complete carp.

Archived