IGNORED

‘Gay’ computer generated footballers!

formerly known as ivan

19 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Why should a private matter be public knowledge ? 

How do you know gay footballers are hiding their sexuality ?

are you present in training ? 

Do you go on social evenings out with the lads when ' partners ' are present ? 

It just really is none of our business.

As I previously wrote I believe in justice and freedom regardless of race, sex or religion.

There are approximately 50,000 professional football players in the world, and I believe there is currently one openly gay player

One 

To believe there are not gay footballers hiding their sexuality is akin to still believing in Santa Claus

10 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

If it helps you my friend , I don't want heterosexual players forcing their sexuality down my throat either. 

Playing a game of football is public life . Playing hide the sausage is private . 

I watch sport to escape the ' real ' world for a moment.

Keep politics out of it during the game . March on the streets afterwards for the just  causes , as I have done .

Peace be with you .

Yeah, because if gl1 had it his way they'd all be mincing around the pitch calling each other girlfriend.

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Why should a private matter be public knowledge ? 

How do you know gay footballers are hiding their sexuality ?

are you present in training ? 

Do you go on social evenings out with the lads when ' partners ' are present ? 

It just really is none of our business.

As I previously wrote I believe in justice and freedom regardless of race, sex or religion.

You genuinely think no footballers are hiding their sexuality? 

So either no footballers are gay, or footballers turn up to say, the PFA awards etc with their partners and no one has said anything...

I'm not really sure why anyone would have a problem with a football player 'coming out'. It would be a bit of a deal in the media for a bit and then eventually blow over and become normal. Then it wouldn't be an issue anymore and we wouldn't have to hear about it anymore. 

The sooner it all becomes a non issue, the better. But for it to become normal and not noteworthy it is going to have to be in the public eye for a bit while it gets normalised. Thats just how it works.

25 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Okay i will rename it a publicity feature then.  Included to be discovered and then talked about.  Its worked a treat.  Everyone knows the new Football Manager is now out

The main man behind FM is Miles Jacobson. It's a brilliant game, but he's such a self publicist in the most annoying ways and this is textbook him. 

He's started to try and subconciously get his politics into games too - he made the game feature Brexit last year which was always disasterous for you if you managed a British side. Sometimes you were limited to a couple of foreign players full stop which is a problem if you're trying to sign M'Bappe, Dembele and Kimmich for City in 2022! 

3 minutes ago, RedSA said:

You genuinely think no footballers are hiding their sexuality? 

So either no footballers are gay, or footballers turn up to say, the PFA awards etc with their partners and no one has said anything...

I'm not really sure why anyone would have a problem with a football player 'coming out'. It would be a bit of a deal in the media for a bit and then eventually blow over and become normal. Then it wouldn't be an issue anymore and we wouldn't have to hear about it anymore. 

The sooner it all becomes a non issue, the better. But for it to become normal and not noteworthy it is going to have to be in the public eye for a bit while it gets normalised. Thats just how it works.

Would be unfair to speculate who - but in the last 15 years we've apparently had a first team player who was gay, and it wasn't exactly a big secret.

The law of averages mean we've probably had more than one. Really not a big deal.

I think eventually though we'll see a high profile player 'come out'. Lots of potential marketing/advertising money to be made..

For those that think it's pointless to care, let's not forget that the BBC poll indicates that 8% of fans said they would stop following their team if one of their players came out.

That is an insane number, and as much as I like to think that our fans wouldn't be that disgraceful, the pessimist in me believes that if one of our players came out we'd see a fair few Bristol City fans on Twitter kicking up a fuss.

From Sega/Sports Interactive's point of view, this is merely a PR stunt as the new installment of their game is lacking in the new features department, much like how last year was the "Brexit" year. From a social point of view, it's a great step, and any move to promote LGBT values to the wider football community should be praised.

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Okay i will rename it a publicity feature then.  Included to be discovered and then talked about.  Its worked a treat.  Everyone knows the new Football Manager is now out

no it isn't, its not out until November 10th

3 hours ago, gl1 said:

As a gay man and avid football fan in general and a follower of Bristol City for the past 40years I would just like to say...what a joke and ‘non feature’ this is. My homosexuality has absolutely no baring on this part of my life ie: being a football fan. What a player does in his private life has nothing to do with their ability to play football. 

I am getting pretty tired of the gay debate rearing it’s head periodically on here and in the football world in general. In this day and age when it really doesn’t matter who you love, as long as it’s consensual and legal I don’t get why this is so debated so often. In a weird way the mere debate singles gay people as different hence the need to debate it. It’s a different part of the entertainment business but when Steven Gately came out as gay despite singing love songs with female based lyrics no one really said anything. Sam smith admitted he was gay a few years back and was met with a huge wave of ‘so what’?

I just wish that one player, any player would come out as gay so we can experience the huge collective shrugging of shoulders and avalanche of apathy from the football community in general, and we can put to rest this ‘huge issue’  once and for all. Sure he’s going to get stick from away fans, but as long as it’s light hearted and not meant offensively so what. Rather erm rotund  players get sung at, so do overtly tall or short players. And gingers, and those with alarming hair cuts. As long as the chants are not along the lines of the abuse black players got in the bad old days, I really couldn’t give a damn.

gay people in general are pretty tough cookies, us older ones who lived with it being illegal then Section 28 (google it, it’ll make your toes curl) and the general anti gay feelings in the 70’s and 80’s, then being blamed for the ‘gay plague’ that was AIDS, won’t be offended by a ‘does your boyfriend know you’re here’ chant at a gay player. Because probably he does and he’s sat with the other WAGS in the stand...

i know it's a long time ago, but I think a lot of gay players are put off by what happened to Justin fashanu. They would rather not make an issue of it. However by not coming out, as you say, keeps everything underground. 

4 hours ago, gl1 said:

As a gay man and avid football fan in general and a follower of Bristol City for the past 40years I would just like to say...what a joke and ‘non feature’ this is. My homosexuality has absolutely no baring on this part of my life ie: being a football fan. What a player does in his private life has nothing to do with their ability to play football. 

I am getting pretty tired of the gay debate rearing it’s head periodically on here and in the football world in general. In this day and age when it really doesn’t matter who you love, as long as it’s consensual and legal I don’t get why this is so debated so often. In a weird way the mere debate singles gay people as different hence the need to debate it. It’s a different part of the entertainment business but when Steven Gately came out as gay despite singing love songs with female based lyrics no one really said anything. Sam smith admitted he was gay a few years back and was met with a huge wave of ‘so what’?

I just wish that one player, any player would come out as gay so we can experience the huge collective shrugging of shoulders and avalanche of apathy from the football community in general, and we can put to rest this ‘huge issue’  once and for all. Sure he’s going to get stick from away fans, but as long as it’s light hearted and not meant offensively so what. Rather erm rotund  players get sung at, so do overtly tall or short players. And gingers, and those with alarming hair cuts. As long as the chants are not along the lines of the abuse black players got in the bad old days, I really couldn’t give a damn.

gay people in general are pretty tough cookies, us older ones who lived with it being illegal then Section 28 (google it, it’ll make your toes curl) and the general anti gay feelings in the 70’s and 80’s, then being blamed for the ‘gay plague’ that was AIDS, won’t be offended by a ‘does your boyfriend know you’re here’ chant at a gay player. Because probably he does and he’s sat with the other WAGS in the stand...

Tom Daley like wise, but I wonder if these stars making a big deal of coming out in the first place make it a "thing"? Did Tom Daley really need to do a video announcement to the world, and did anyone really care (in a "so what", shoulder shrug way).

As far as I'm concerned I dont care, and i dont need to know, what sexuality a footballer is anymore than i care his race, skin colour, nationality or anything else that has no bearing on his ability to perform on a football pitch. I'd imagine the mass majority of football fans feel the same.

As for the chants, yes it will probably happen unfortunately because fans will do anything to try and get an edge over a player/team. I'd imagine most players are pretty thick skinned and switched off to what gets shouted at them. Not that it makes it acceptable of course, it isnt.

Thoughts on it being in FM18? Meh, dont really care

3 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

Since every day of the game is played in a fictional future, why not?

And by definition one game will have to do it before the others.

If the idea of this bothers people so little, it's funny how much of a backlash it's created isn't it?

It bothers me that they feel the need to include it in the game. 

I have a gay brother, I have gay friends. It’s not being gay that’s the issue, it’s the involvement of it in the game that’s an issue and completely unnecessary. 

Are they including someone coming out as being straight? Or due to have a baby? Both of which are also part of everyday life...

2 hours ago, EnderMB said:

For those that think it's pointless to care, let's not forget that the BBC poll indicates that 8% of fans said they would stop following their team if one of their players came out.

That is an insane number, and as much as I like to think that our fans wouldn't be that disgraceful, the pessimist in me believes that if one of our players came out we'd see a fair few Bristol City fans on Twitter kicking up a fuss.

That is mad, isn't it.  I wonder if any of them follow Queen of the South or the Irons - or used to attend Gay Meadow?   :blink:

57 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I have a gay brother, I have gay friends. It’s not being gay that’s the issue, it’s the involvement of it in the game that’s an issue and completely unnecessary. 

Are they including someone coming out as being straight? Or due to have a baby? Both of which are also part of everyday life...

that is a very good point to be fair,

But I think they've included all sorts of personal life stuff in it like marriage etc,  ( some one correct me please)

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

That is a real oversight of theirs not including someone coming out as straight, because it's inevitable it'll happen in real life isn't it?

The first gay player coming out will cause shockwaves, and we both know that's the case.

Football Manager's role is to essentially mirror real life in the future. It's pretty nailed on that a gay player coming out will be part of real life in the future, and will be big news when it happens. Just like in the game. I really don't see your issue.

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Yeah, they sort of have both, and have for some time (at least since 2014). When managing a club, and being over 35 there is a chance that your son will join as part of your yearly youth team intake. In order for that to happen there's an assumption that you'd have a female capable of procreation associated with you, most likely as a girlfriend/partner/wife. So, both being straight and having a baby are already there, making sense to include another part of everyday life is represented. 

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2014-discussion/161505-son-regen-spawning.html

4 minutes ago, Creg said:

Yeah, they sort of have both, and have for some time (at least since 2014). When managing a club, and being over 35 there is a chance that your son will join as part of your yearly youth team intake. In order for that to happen there's an assumption that you'd have a female capable of procreation associated with you, most likely as a girlfriend/partner/wife. So, both being straight and having a baby are already there, making sense to include another part of everyday life is represented. 

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2014-discussion/161505-son-regen-spawning.html

But can your husband also be your dad? It's a normal part of everyday life for our friends up the road.

1 hour ago, Robin 101 said:

Don't really see why showing how much of a fuss would be made about something which really shouldn't even be 'news' will encourage anyone to come out. Might be wrong but highlighting it as a feature or 'big thing' totally goes against the whole idea

I don't think any gay footballer is playing Football Manager today and thinking "Shit, I thought no one would make a big deal out of it".

33 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Presumably the players on the game are going to announce their favourite colour and favourite song. Both are as irrelevant as their sexual orientation.

That’s alright then, we can all look forward to the total lack of reaction when the first active gay player comes out in the Premier League.

Honestly some of the nonsense in here is more newsworthy than the announcement itself.

Archived