IGNORED

Does O'Driscoll deserve some credit ?

Major Isewater

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Interesting article from 2 days ago, where they suggest Forest should never have gotten rid of SoD.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/remember-odriscoll-nottingham-forest-must-643096

He had a plan...similar to what LJ is doing now. You need time to implement it. On the way you may have poor results, performances or even relegation. But given time it will come good. Clubs don't give managers enough time.

He's still in football working with Wolverhampton's academy.

Then he's back home as that's where he was born.

9 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

So not nonsense then?, Flint's value has rocketed (which makes SOD's honesty wrong) and I think you will find if you search enough a similar SOD quote re Pack where he basically said we paid too much for him.

SOD was talking specifically about the amount paid for Flint in 2013. No comment whatsoever on what would happen to Flint's future value. Though, for the record, both SOD and Pembo were confident Flint could establish himself at Championship level, and possibly beyond. 

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The only three players he spent money on: Fielding £250k, Flint £300k, Pack £100k. Not a bad record...

Sorry to be a pedant, KITR but he also paid money for Derrick Williams, only £100k and I think he was an excellent signing but he was a cash buy.

Sorry I'm going to go off topic a bit, but the post above defending McInnes really gets me "he had no money" is the bollocks usually trotted out.

He spent £2m on Baldock and Davies at a time that Pitman and Stead were already at the club, then sold Brett for £60k!.

Poor unfortunate Derek, who paid £200k for Richard Foster and wasted contracts on his mates Jody Morris & Mark Wilson too.

In my eyes he was even worse than the cash strapped SOD..

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

City v Sheffield Utd was the only time in 5 decades of watching us that I've actually fallen asleep at a match.  

This match acts as a  benchmark for rubbish - to those who weren't there it makes recent England performances akin to watching Brazil.

For 80 minures we passed the ball across the back 4 then for a change it went back to the keeper - we didn't appear to want to get out of our own half let alone consider attacking.

To add insult to injury we lost 1-0.

Dreadful game for this alone i refuse to give him any credit 

56 minutes ago, spudski said:

SoD isn't a manager...but he's a damn fine football Coach.

I think that's it, spud. He should've stayed up Failand, and left the "yes, we're up for the fight!" inanities and tub-thumping public pronouncements to someone else.

SO'D was a very poor public "front" for the club, at a time when we were on the slide, on a downer and in need of some optimistic, cheerful uplift. 

Certainly, LJ fits the bill and ticks more boxes for SL including on the public presentation front. Although LJ's cheeky, cheerful cockernee chappy chutzpah drove me nuts at times last winter, SO'D's dour, eyeore thing wasn't right either. His irritability with local radio was poor and yet, upstairs in the Rising Sun, doing a Q&A with us supporters - and some equally witless questions from the floor there! - he came across better.

If you have to have one thing or the other - SO'Ds dour, pessimistic realism v LJ's cheerful, optimistic delusion* - then a large organisation probably's best with the latter. Just don't remind me of this next time we are on a long, losing run(!)

I think that LJ encapsulates everything SL has been fumbling in the dark for with his previous appointments, he is the result of all the previous hc/managers, with all their plusses and minuses. 

SO'D liked coaching, or teaching, and that included the supporters. Only, it's not the right time, during and soon after a relegation, and then waiting until Oct 26 for his first league win, during a big "slump," to be "educating" the public with his counter-intuitive knowledge, steeped in modern sports psychology. Get the "outcomes" everyone wants first, then inform us as to your "processes" and thinking. 

3 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

It does make me smile, though, as SL is cheered for his strength in the face of poor results and supporter unrest/disappearing crowds: and that "noisy" fans clamouring for Johnson's head last winter were the "problem" with this club, etc.

Steve has "hired and fired" himself before and played his part in that culture, as well as bucking that trend with LJ. I know this will upset some posters, but is it true? I think it is.

I think SL realised that SOD was dragging every aspect of the club to his miserable level.  I do remember a few feeling we had turned the corner when he was fired but I guess we can look back and see it was the right decision now. 

Spot on Jack, there were precious few signs of "outcomes" though and the dwindling number actually bothering to go were considering suicide.

I remember us scraping a draw at home to Shrewsbury with a late goal and wondering how much worse it could actually get.

As Red Robbo has rightly said for such a "great coach" his players looked completely baffled.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Ferguson and Rogers never had to sit through the pile of shite he served up during his time here - if they had they'd have revised their opinions no doubt.

Football coaches, like everyone, are only as good as their last job. They can't bank their rep based on what they may or may not have done in the distant past.

People's ability can decline. Players do and so can coaches. Particularly those who start believing their own publicity about being some sort of maven and genius. They might become over-rigid in their ideas, start to ignore the obvious and refuse to change course when it is obvious they are driving off a cliff. They are "highly regarded" after all. How dare such puny things as results come into it. 

We can never know if SOD would have "come good" eventually. Neither his advocates or detractors can say for sure.

What I'd stake my house on is if this sudden turnaround happened it would take place in L2 before crowds of 7K or less.

Anyway, you and I agree on one thing: we've had this debate many, many times before and everyone just goes round in circles.

There is no point in rehashing it again.

IMG_0089.PNG

I genuinely didn't mind him.

Was really interesting to listen to at Q & A sessions, always spoke a lot of sense when it came to football too. You could tell he just wanted to be on the coaching field all day with players, not dealing with the media etc. which a lot of managers have. Also spoke a lot of home truths about the mess the club was in at that moment in time which people obviously didn't want to hear.

A lot of very well respected coaches in the game regard him hugely. He consistently gets good coaching jobs at good clubs.

I honestly think we'd have sank like a stone no matter who took over after McInnes. We were absolutely shit.

Flinty's late back pass at Port Vale in October, and his OG at home to Sheff Utd, probably "cost" SO'D his job. Cost us a couple of needed "outcomes," certainly. The irony of that..... I think those lost points might've lifted everyone's spirits a bit, although not necessarily the Head Coach's as well. 

As a bloke said above. He was the only manager under SL who had to operate with very limited funds. 

SLs own quote on SoD was we went down without a fight. Many of the youngsters brought in have nOt done well, but some have gone on to do well for us. 

The policy was V1 of the current policy without 5.2 m transfers. But who would have come to us back then anyway. 

The bloke was dour and pissed off fans and board alike and we were garbage. I remember Flint slashing the ball into his own goal against Sheff Utd in particular and the 2/2 draw against Orient which was a decent result then. Then he was gone. 

Maj has a point but I was as glad as SL when he was dispatched!

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Where does this praise end?.

How about Keith Burt?.

or how about this?.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSwjrZUlzbg

Anybody who passes through our club and who gives of their best deserves thanks and respect.

Whether they were good enough at their task is another matter .

To some extent we can also be thankful to the likes of Jody Morris , Nicky Hunt and company because we learn from the bad as well as the good .

We are the sum part of all our history.

Bristol City is what it is today because of our past .

IMO yes. I think what we see today was started during his tenure. He often spoke about performance rather than results, a phrase I'm hearing more & more in the higher echelons of the pyramid. Some fans like a personality in front of the camera and obviously, this was something he wasn't. But I personally found him interesting to listen to. Am I correct in saying that Louis Carey said he was one of, if not the best coach he ever played for? COYR 

Archived