IGNORED

The best ever ?

gow2gooseya

21 minutes ago, Hellfire Corner said:

Disagree. He was up against big ******* back then and his football brain/positional sense was second to none. Not all central defenders need to be Aden Flint height

Disagree. There's far more giants in the game these days and far more emphasis and goals scored in dead ball situations.  It's very difficult to defend a set piece with a short arse center back. There's very few (in any) teams operating these days with center backs as short as Geoff.

I agree about his attributes and he also had a great leap (you didn't mention) which could compensate to some extent. He could operate as a left back in the modern era but was too one-footed to be a great left back.

21 minutes ago, sarasin said:

Disagree. There's far more giants in the game these days and far more emphasis and goals scored in dead ball situations.  It's very difficult to defend a set piece with a short arse center back. There's very few (in any) teams operating these days with center backs as short as Geoff.

I agree about his attributes and he also had a great leap (you didn't mention) which could compensate to some extent. He could operate as a left back in the modern era but was too one-footed to be a great left back.

Yep his left foot was awful sometimes. Still a very good player tho.

2 hours ago, sarasin said:

Forget about athleticism, the comparison is based on ability.

Collier was more mobile and far better on the ball than the likes of Baker/ Flint/ Wright and at least as good defensively.

Football has moved on so much in 20-30 years. I find it hard to believe players of an older generation would cope with today's game. No matter how good they were back in their era. A modern day collier, conditioned to cope with today's demands? Then yes. But the ~1980 Collier chucked into the 2017 championship? I doubt it? 

I wasn't around in the 70s but I think given the way the game has moved on in terms of physical power, conditioning and professionalism then there's a fair case to be made that the current team is the best Bristol City team ever. It's certainly the best in the last 25 years and after that I think things get tricky to judge.

15 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Judging a group of defenders is hard as without the whole team defending as one, even the greatest defenders in history would come unstuck. 

Except Maldini. Maldini could play any XI on his own and still grind out a 0-0

However good Maldini was he did have Baresi, Costacurta and Tassotti alongside him and they weren't too shabby either.

15 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Norman Hunter was a class to himself who represented England, a top British team regularly competing in European competition and was peerless at Ashton Gate.

Collier should have made a good deal more of his career but injury took over.

The current crop of defenders couldn't hold a candle to these two imo

Chuck Geoff Merrick in there also plus Sweeney. Absolutely no way is this our best defence ever. Also we are  what ? 18 games into the season !

Premature evaluation......it can happen to anyone.

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

not even the best we've had in the championship, let alone best ever

If you're referring to our 07/08 back four, as much as they were a fantastic unit I think that we rode our luck an awful lot that season, and I would certainly hesitate as to whether they were better footballers than what we have now?

5 minutes ago, YCbrs said:

If you're talking about the 07/08 defence, as much as they were a wonderful unit I would certainly hesitate to say that they were a better group of players than what we have now?

thats the point though, defense works as a unit, while we have better defenders today, they aren't as good a unit as the 07/08 unit, we had two good fall backs in Mcallister and Orr, who could both overlap, tackle, pass and cross,

We had a big little combination in Carey and McCombe who complemented each other well and a decent enough if not eccentric keeper in basso, 

Put that defense with this seasons attacking unit and we'd be top of the league at the moment

1 hour ago, ForeverRes said:

Football has moved on so much in 20-30 years. I find it hard to believe players of an older generation would cope with today's game. No matter how good they were back in their era. A modern day collier, conditioned to cope with today's demands? Then yes. But the ~1980 Collier chucked into the 2017 championship? I doubt it? 

But could Christiano Ronaldo cope with football back then, smoking 5 fags at half time, having a few pints the night before and travelling to the match on the bus with fans?

16 minutes ago, Hellfire Corner said:

But could Christiano Ronaldo cope with football back then, smoking 5 fags at half time, having a few pints the night before and travelling to the match on the bus with fans?

Could the modern CR deal with football back then? Yes, he would destroy them. Would a Ronaldo who smoked and drank before games be as effective? No. 

Thsts the argument, it's so hard to compare. 

But the modern footballer is better, mainly because of cultural changes within the sport and the consequent effects on athleticism/ skill.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Ford, Parr, Connor, LOW and Briggs were the back five I remember.

But certainly Ouch!

And Terry Bush also moved to wing half which in modern terms would be midfield. And up front Atyeo and Brian Clark. All of these supported the "midgets" like Ray Savino, Lou Peters, Shadow Williams and the very talented but enigmatic Jantzen. End of old man's ramblings.

Even though I posted previously that it's almost impossible to compare players from different eras, there are many from the past who, if born twenty five years ago and brought up in the modern game, would still have been very very good footballers and defenders. Collier, Hunter, Newman, Connor, Merrick, Sweeney, Thresher etc. would still be highly regarded by our supporters and no reason why all or some would not be playing at the highest level.

Nice to reminisce about the past but we now have probably the best collection of back four players that I can remember since 1980.

We have the experienced Pisano, Flint, Wright, Baker, Bryan and Magnússon. I'd even include Hegeler but would prefer him in midfield. But that's another topic.

Added to these, we have several extremely promising youngsters in Vyner, Moore, Kelly and perhaps even Plavotic. Plus others not too far behind in Harvey Smith and Aden Baldwin. 

A bright future? I believe so especially when one also considers the quality of the Academy midfielders and forwards.

30 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

And Terry Bush also moved to wing half which in modern terms would be midfield. And up front Atyeo and Brian Clark. All of these supported the "midgets" like Ray Savino, Lou Peters, Shadow Williams and the very talented but enigmatic Jantzen. End of old man's ramblings.

Even though I posted previously that it's almost impossible to compare players from different eras, there are many from the past who, if born twenty five years ago and brought up in the modern game, would still have been very very good footballers and defenders. Collier, Hunter, Newman, Connor, Merrick, Sweeney, Thresher etc. would still be highly regarded by our supporters and no reason why all or some would not be playing at the highest level.

Nice to reminisce about the past but we now have probably the best collection of back four players that I can remember since 1980.

We have the experienced Pisano, Flint, Wright, Baker, Bryan and Magnússon. I'd even include Hegeler but would prefer him in midfield. But that's another topic.

Added to these, we have several extremely promising youngsters in Vyner, Moore, Kelly and perhaps even Plavotic. Plus others not too far behind in Harvey Smith and Aden Baldwin. 

A bright future? I believe so especially when one also considers the quality of the Academy midfielders and forwards.

For somewhat esoteric reasons I sometimes frequent a small restaurant next to the Parc des Princes and, even though he only played a handful of games for them, the young Jantzen Derrick is often mentioned by the older PSG fans on the rare occasions they want to talk about English footballers.

I mentioned in a previous thread that I saw Hegeler playing in midfield; in a Franz Beckenbauer type of role, just in front of the back four bringing the ball out of defence to set up the young midfield and onwards.

But I agree: there certainly seems to be a bright future ahead.

Bryan is the best City LB in quite some time. As good as Bell and Brennan I reckon and there's another left back roughly 20/25 years back  signed from Sunderland I think whose name escapes me who was pretty useful as well.

City will have difficulty next summer hanging on to him. He'll be in demand from PL clubs for sure.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Bryan is the best City LB in quite some time. As good as Bell and Brennan I reckon and there's another left back roughly 20/25 years back  signed from Sunderland I think whose name escapes me who was pretty useful as well.

Do you mean Martin Scott who we sold to Sunderland and bought from Rotherham?

Mickey Bells free kicks and penalties put him ahead of Joe Bryan for me at the moment.

Come on Joe, watch a few Bell free kicks, and get up there with him.

I don't know how to do it, but can someone get some of Mickeys goals on here?  Please.

We've got Mickey Bell, we've got Mickey Bell .............

3 minutes ago, 42nite said:

Mickey Bells free kicks and penalties put him ahead of Joe Bryan for me at the moment.

I don't know how to do it, but can someone get some of Mickeys goals on here?  Please.

Neither of them as good as Darren Barnard for me.... yet anyway.

6 minutes ago, 42nite said:

Did Bell really score that many free kicks? I remember him scoring two against Plymouth on a night game but reckon he probably only hit 5 or 6 during his time with us. He took a great penalty though. Did he ever miss for us? 

6 hours ago, sarasin said:

Speedy wasn't that good, and similar to Sir Geoff, his lack of height would be exploited in the modern game.

Yes that Mascharano is crap and Cannavaro was lucky with his career wasn'the..

Geoff Merrick was an excellent "second ball" centre half but was also brilliant when he shifted to accommodate Norman.

Some of the strikers he came up against then would make most modern players look like schoolboys.

Archived