IGNORED

Biggest let-down?

Edge1981

What do you think the most disappointing game that you’ve witnessed involving City? Not necessarily the worst performance (we’ve all seen plenty) but the biggest let-down... I’m going with the 2004 Play Off final. After the euphoria of winning the Hartlepool game with such a late and stunning come back I felt that it was written in the stars that we’d get promoted. We had a bunch of local lads in the team - Doherty, Hill, Coles, Carey, Woodman etc as well as some great experience - Tinnion and Butler. I remember looking forward to this game like no other. Went to the game with 5 mates and stayed at a friend’s house who was at uni in Cardiff just around the corner from the Millenium Stadium. Good night out the night before, big fry up in the morning and loads of beers on board on our way to the game. I felt so confident we’d put on a show and actually cruise to victory. I just could not believe it when we didn’t turn up and of the ways to lose a play off final, we lose to that late Leon Knight penalty! 

I was disappointed with the Hull final but nowhere near the same as the Brighton game. Any other matches that left you as disappointed as the Brighton game?

5 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

Had only been to one City game at that point against Fulham about two weeks before. 

That Fulham game was my first City game too. 

Plenty of highs & lows since then. It’s impossible to rank them in order. 

17 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

What do you think the most disappointing game that you’ve witnessed involving City? Not necessarily the worst performance (we’ve all seen plenty) but the biggest let-down... I’m going with the 2004 Play Off final. After the euphoria of winning the Hartlepool game with such a late and stunning come back I felt that it was written in the stars that we’d get promoted. We had a bunch of local lads in the team - Doherty, Hill, Coles, Carey, Woodman etc as well as some great experience - Tinnion and Butler. I remember looking forward to this game like no other. Went to the game with 5 mates and stayed at a friend’s house who was at uni in Cardiff just around the corner from the Millenium Stadium. Good night out the night before, big fry up in the morning and loads of beers on board on our way to the game. I felt so confident we’d put on a show and actually cruise to victory. I just could not believe it when we didn’t turn up and of the ways to lose a play off final, we lose to that late Leon Knight penalty! 

I was disappointed with the Hull final but nowhere near the same as the Brighton game. Any other matches that left you as disappointed as the Brighton game?

That’s why Danny got the sack. To answer question nothing comes close to that game for me 

21 minutes ago, glynriley said:

2nd May 1990. 

that 'un. When the teams trotted out and Ronnie Sinclair was shaking like a leaf, I knew we were in trouble. Felt for Joe Jordan... some fans treated him in the most abysmal fashion. For me, the game was finished when someone handed me a slip of paper with Ian Holloways home address on, and was told City fans would set fire to his house after the game. For them... it was a crowning glory. Fortunately they've been nowhere near that high since.

15 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Too humorous to mention, BUT I'd go for the BHA play off as well, we just didn't turn up.a non-event. Driving back ,nobody spoke until we'd crossed the bridge !

Hull was gutting, but we gave it our best shot, not to be .

Really? 

Or did your numbers go a bit funny?

12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

13th April 2002 - going for promotion....4-0 down at half time away at Blackpool....lost 5-1....utter disbelief in the away 'side' - we nearly went back to The Manchester Bar at half time, but saw it out to the bitter end...gutted...

That would be mine as well. But could not remember the date. Although play off against Brentford at home I think under John Ward ran it a close second.

The 04 play off was massively disappointing and its hard to look past that one.

I would like to throw Preston away on the last day of the season in 98. We were playing well under JW but with a few games to go we flogged the Goat to Man City and Jason Roberts had flounced off in a strop. This left on loan striker Sean McCarthy as the only man up front. All we had to do was win and we were champions. Keeping in mind we were about 10 points behind Watford in November, we had fought back well.

As it was McCarthy scored, pulled his back doing a daft celebration and was taken off and all we had left up front was Greg Goodridge.

The title was Watford's. 

25 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

Could not agree more.

I live in Sussex, I was in the City end, my wife insisted on going in the Brighton end, at that time I also coached a boys team, all of who supported Brighton, and Danny Cullip the Brighton captain was a regular at my local and a neighbour.

Was so sure we would win, and deserved the promotion, and was. Sick when we failed to turn up for that game, got stick from everywhere for the following weeks and was seriously pi..ed off for weeks.

plenty of other times when i have wondered why i bother, but then you get nights like Palace last week , and its great

COYRs

4 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

The 04 play off was massively disappointing and its hard to look past that one.

I would like to throw Preston away on the last day of the season in 98. We were playing well under JW but with a few games to go we flogged the Goat to Man City and Jason Roberts had flounced off in a strop. This left on loan striker Sean McCarthy as the only man up front. All we had to do was win and we were champions. Keeping in mind we were about 10 points behind Watford in November, we had fought back well.

As it was McCarthy scored, pulled his back doing a daft celebration and was taken off and all we had left up front was Greg Goodridge.

The title was Watford's. 

Didn't blame him too much, I believe his dad had died the night before!   Grief etc.  ?

14 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Could not agree more.

I live in Sussex, I was in the City end, my wife insisted on going in the Brighton end, at that time I also coached a boys team, all of who supported Brighton, and Danny Cullip the Brighton captain was a regular at my local and a neighbour.

Was so sure we would win, and deserved the promotion, and was. Sick when we failed to turn up for that game, got stick from everywhere for the following weeks and was seriously pi..ed off for weeks.

plenty of other times when i have wondered why i bother, but then you get nights like Palace last week , and its great

COYRs

Sounds like you suffered more than most City fans after that game. 

1 hour ago, Edge1981 said:

V Cardiff 0-6 , lost my program 

Archived