IGNORED

Cardiff Attendance

GAS8R

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

So the majority of games that you've been to have been at the cheaper end of the scale then? Not wishing to argue but doesn't that prove the point trying to be made by some that cheaper tickets equals bigger attendance? Your 5 game average is £10.60 a pop? Appreciate you've also bought a few more expensive ones also which will push that up but still a good price. 

Personally, as a ST holder I have absolutely no problems with the club offering the tickets at as cheap a rate possible to get the crowds in. The more the merrier. A ST is an investment in the club that comes with perks (see the clamour for Man U tickets) and also provides a cheap match day ticket price as well. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford the outlay and be in a position whereby a ST is a sensible investment but not everyone is.  And I don't see why we should preclude those that aren't. They should be encouraged.  More the merrier imho. 

Majority, probably not quite - it's about a 50:50 split between discounted games and full price tickets. The full price ones tend to be our "biggest" games - Villa, Leeds, Cardiff, etc.

So in summary I'm happy to pay full price for the big games but a discount will draw me in. Worth also saying that I'm not able to commit the time to go every week so deliberately "pick and choose". If time wasn't an issue I'd have a season ticket as they are unquestionably the best value.

I don't think there's any doubt the cheaper tickets pushes attendances up. But that's not necessarily an argument to reduce prices unless the only objective is to fill the ground. The club have to strike a balance and ultimately they are looking to maximise revenues to enable us to compete most effectively. Personally I think they get the balance about right. The Leeds game nearly sold out at full price which doesn't suggest there's much wrong.

Whether the prices are morally acceptable for what was traditionally a working class game is a different discussion of course.

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Majority, probably not quite - it's about a 50:50 split between discounted games and full price tickets. The full price ones tend to be our "biggest" games - Villa, Leeds, Cardiff, etc.

So in summary I'm happy to pay full price for the big games but a discount will draw me in. Worth also saying that I'm not able to commit the time to go every week so deliberately "pick and choose". If time wasn't an issue I'd have a season ticket as they are unquestionably the best value.

I don't think there's any doubt the cheaper tickets pushes attendances up. But that's not necessarily an argument to reduce prices unless the only objective is to fill the ground. The club have to strike a balance and ultimately they are looking to maximise revenues to enable us to compete most effectively. Personally I think they get the balance about right. The Leeds game nearly sold out at full price which doesn't suggest there's much wrong.

Whether the prices are morally acceptable for what was traditionally a working class game is a different discussion of course.

Fair play CR completely see your points. You are able to afford the full price games alongside the cheaper games (which of course are cup games a lot of the time so we all benefit and the club should be applauded for that) 

I think your last point is the most pertinent to my thinking.  I really think that football in general could be doing a lot more to ensure that it's affordable across the board - it's not necessarily a City thing. For a parent to take their 2 teenage kids this week is going to cost £63 + bf.  Far too much for some people to afford. But like you say, another thread is probably needed. 

12 minutes ago, lenred said:

Fair play CR completely see your points. You are able to afford the full price games alongside the cheaper games (which of course are cup games a lot of the time so we all benefit and the club should be applauded for that) 

I think your last point is the most pertinent to my thinking.  I really think that football in general could be doing a lot more to ensure that it's affordable across the board - it's not necessarily a City thing. For a parent to take their 2 teenage kids this week is going to cost £63 + bf.  Far too much for some people to afford. But like you say, another thread is probably needed. 

Rightly or wrongly, I think you have to compare it to alternative family days out. 

I’ve just booked to go to the Hippodrome Christmas panto on a Sunday afternoon. £39 each! Same for my 3 year old son!

The cinema (a big tv!) is around a tenner a head nowadays. 

If I wasn’t an STH, or member, then going to live football with my son, to a “gold” category match, would cost £43. For Preston it would be £33.

No, it’s not cheap, but I’m not sure that football is alone in being a pricey day out. It’s better value than some things, especially many live events. 

Also, at those prices, it’s a one off/infrequent “treat”. If I went more often then membership would knock a tenner a time off of those prices. 

At the end of the day, I don’t think the highest crowds in 40 years suggest that it is TOO expensive for people, whilst obviously it will be too much for some. 

58 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

This is the point ive been trying to get across. Its a shame really that people dont get it or cant see it.. 'we have to be able to compete financially' is the answer many will throw at the debate and well that for me is where football has gone, its quite sad but thats the modern game now. 

It is what it is though really and if you don't like it you don't pay it ay !

Football is too expensive. It's as simple as that. Sky wants nice middle class football supporters who won't make a mess on the telly.

You only have to look abroad to the Bundesliga and La Liga to see how sensible the pricing structures are.

8 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Football is too expensive. It's as simple as that. Sky wants nice middle class football supporters who won't make a mess on the telly.

You only have to look abroad to the Bundesliga and La Liga to see how sensible the pricing structures are.

And the difference in atmosphere caused by an alternative demographic. 

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Rightly or wrongly, I think you have to compare it to alternative family days out. 

I’ve just booked to go to the Hippodrome Christmas panto on a Sunday afternoon. £39 each! Same for my 3 year old son!

The cinema (a big tv!) is around a tenner a head nowadays. 

If I wasn’t an STH, or member, then going to live football with my son, to a “gold” category match, would cost £43. For Preston it would be £33.

No, it’s not cheap, but I’m not sure that football is alone in being a pricey day out. It’s better value than some things, especially many live events. 

Also, at those prices, it’s a one off/infrequent “treat”. If I went more often then membership would knock a tenner a time off of those prices. 

At the end of the day, I don’t think the highest crowds in 40 years suggest that it is TOO expensive for people, whilst obviously it will be too much for some. 

Some good points mate. I'd say the panto is defiantly expensive but at least it's a 'one off' event a year.  

I'd also say that just because we are getting the highest crowds for years doesn't mean that there isn't a problem. It's may be a new demographic starting to attend. Which is fantastic.  But those families who have been the lifeblood of our suport should be looked after as well. Perhaps we could introduce low income related prices as an idea? I don't know. I just hate seeing football as a whole becoming a luxury event. I know people who have had to stop their ST because of the cost now. 

It is and should remain the game of the people. Imho it shouldnt be a treat - not because of price anyway. But maybe it's gone well past that now. I just hope I can continue to afford it.  

14 minutes ago, lenred said:

Some good points mate. I'd say the panto is defiantly expensive but at least it's a 'one off' event a year.  

I'd also say that just because we are getting the highest crowds for years doesn't mean that their isn't a problem. It's may be a new demographic starting to attend. Which is fantastic.  But those families who have been the lifeblood of our suport should be looked after as well. Perhaps we could introduce low income related  prices as an idea? I don't know. I just hate seeing football as a whole becoming a luxury event. I know people who have had to stop their ST because of the cost now. 

It is and should remain the game of the people. Imho it shouldnt be a treat - not because of price anyway. But maybe it's gone well past that now. I just hope I can continue to afford it.  

Profit over passion.

1 hour ago, Keyardiv said:

Quick intermission - haven't driven up before, is Bedminster Cricket Ground a good place to park? 

If dry yes. If rainy it’s a bit of a quagmire. Cheaper than the other close one. The office building (county gate?) is 2 quid more and they pack em in tight so it’s a bit of a wait getting out. 

My wife treats her daughter and granddaughter to the panto as their Xmas pressie. This year no change out of £140 as she left it too late to get cheaper. I know one is guaranteed a laugh and not begrudged on bit but it puts into perspective what is charged for a local derby in one of the top half dozen leagues in the world.

7 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

My wife treats her daughter and granddaughter to the panto as their Xmas pressie. This year no change out of £140 as she left it too late to get cheaper. I know one is guaranteed a laugh and not begrudged on bit but it puts into perspective what is charged for a local derby in one of the top half dozen leagues in the world.

How much are the tickets for the fortnightly pantomime at the Memorial Ground?

On 31 October 2017 at 21:46, bris red said:

This pretty much sums it up for me. I like you Bill over the years when i was a season ticket holder never cared for POTD prices.. aslong as Ashton Gate was full and people weren't being priced out. 

For me we shouldn't be charging anything over 25£ for an adult rocking up on the day to watch Championship football regardless of category of opposition. Me and my mate payed 33£ to watch Leeds. Too much in my humble opinion.

It would only work if ALL Championship clubs charged £25 for all away seats and their cheapest area for home fans. It's nice to see the reduced prices for the Hull game. Will we reciprocate when they come to AG?

5 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Bundesliga yes La liga No!

Ive just paid 77euro to watch Malaga v Eibar !! Not cheap. Ok I could have bought cheaper tickets but cheapest was 57 Euro. 

7 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Bundesliga yes La liga No!

Ive just paid 77euro to watch Malaga v Eibar !! Not cheap. Ok I could have bought cheaper tickets but cheapest was 57 Euro. 

****! I thought it was one of the cheaper ones, appear to have been very very wrong.

I do think people have a point when they complain about the price of watching football, but while the cost has never been higher neither generally have the attendances been.

As long as rubbish teams like West Ham are pulling in 55,000 punters every week I can't see that changing.

5 hours ago, WessexPest said:

I do think people have a point when they complain about the price of watching football, but while the cost has never been higher neither generally have the attendances been.

As long as rubbish teams like West Ham are pulling in 55,000 punters every week I can't see that changing.

Didn’t WHU do a special deal onST’s ? Ended up selling over 50k.

just looked and when they moved they introduced a new ticket for £289, the dearest being £900.. 

12 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Ohhh no it doesn't 

58 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Didn’t WHU do a special deal onST’s ? Ended up selling over 50k.

just looked and when they moved they introduced a new ticket for £289, the dearest being £900.. 

Yes but they almost doubled their capacity moving to the Olympic Park so they would still be getting more revenue at those prices, and they have Sky money to subsidise the whole thing.

Season tickets cheap as chips. 

Individual match tickets, even with Membership rates, expensive. Paying £35 quid - £70 for my 2 tickets - for the Cardiff game is OTT in my opinion. Hopefully, as that's nearly a pound a minute we will win 90-0 and I'll leave thinking that was value for money. 

I think we need some 'exiles' rates - if you live more than 100 miles from The Gate - you get a discount given extra travel costs and attendance not justifying a season ticket :-)

Hats off to those who do travel distances and have season tickets though. 

Archived