IGNORED

Tammy rejected Nigeria : Now named in the England squad (Merged)

Reigate Red

50 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Or if you're English and are a top 6 registered player (important) and are either a squad player or they loan you out somewhere, you get picked. Even if you're in a side bottom of the league and you look half interested against Championship sides in cup matches...  

Exactly. Suppose that (i) Reid goes on to score 26 goals this season (ii) we get promoted and (iii) on 2 November 2018 we sit 17th in the Prem and Reid has scored 5 goals. Does anyone think that at that point Bobby would be picked in the England squad?

Of course he would not. Yet he would at that point have the same record as Abraham has over the past 15 months.

53 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Or if you're English and are a top 6 registered player (important) and are either a squad player or they loan you out somewhere, you get picked. Even if you're in a side bottom of the league and you look half interested against Championship sides in cup matches...  

I give you Loftus ****** Cheek !               He was garbage against us !

54 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

No, but most players don't stay too long these days.

Mutual admiration between Tammy and the club/fans while he was here and his heart very much in BCFC as far as I could see.

He was outstanding and always gave 100% for BCFC last season and became very much one of our own, even more laudible as he knew his stay here was finite.

As far as wishing him well and being pleased at his ongoing success, that'll do for me.

No...........lovely bloke and done brilliant for us, all I'm saying is I, personally, can't get excited about it .

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

I really don't like this getting picked before being established as a Premier League player.  Setting them up to fail.  Well run national teams don't do it unless the players are outstanding.  And none of the 3 mentioned compare to say Dembele, Mpappe etc.  It really shows how desperate we are. You wouldn't see the Germans or Spanish doing it.  They'd have to establish themselves first in La Liga / Bundesliga.  We're  making the problem with the lack of English EPL players worse.  

Kane, Sterling and Vardy are the only English players to score more than him this season, why not pick him? Why pick a striker who has scored less?

6 minutes ago, hodge said:

Kane, Sterling and Vardy are the only English players to score more than him this season, why not pick him? Why pick a striker who has scored less?

Exactly. Far more useful to see how Tammy performs than the likes of Welbeck or Sturridge. Friendlies are the perfect time to test people like him.

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

I really don't like this getting picked before being established as a Premier League player.  Setting them up to fail.  Well run national teams don't do it unless the players are outstanding.  And none of the 3 mentioned compare to say Dembele, Mpappe etc.  It really shows how desperate we are. You wouldn't see the Germans or Spanish doing it.  They'd have to establish themselves first in La Liga / Bundesliga.  We're  making the problem with the lack of English EPL players worse.  

I understand what you are saying but Germany like their players to play in their representative sides. Tammy Abraham has played for England at U18, U19, U21 ... Germany have played players like Podolski (19 or 20) in full Internationals. They have also promoted players from an U21 tournament to the next senior World cup squad ...The pathway is similar here for this particular player.

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

No...........lovely bloke and done brilliant for us, all I'm saying is I, personally, can't get excited about it .

Me neither. One year loanee and you’d think he was a Bristol born and bred prodigy by some of the fawning. 

As you rightly say, a lovely bloke, served us well for a season and now plays for SWANSEA. 

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

No, but most players don't stay too long these days.

Mutual admiration between Tammy and the club/fans while he was here and his heart very much in BCFC as far as I could see.

He was outstanding and always gave 100% for BCFC last season and became very much one of our own, even more laudible as he knew his stay here was finite.

As far as wishing him well and being pleased at his ongoing success, that'll do for me.

Well said

My interest and enthusiasm is

1 For the reasons you’ve highlighted above regarding his attitude whilst here

2 The fact that unlike some / many in the modern game he appears to be a genuinely cracking lad with little ego and a determination to do his absolute best whenever he steps on a pitch-, do everything he can to keep improving and he seems to appreciate the support he’s given - something I find so refreshing and uplifting in the modern game

Good Luck Tammy - your family should be proud of you - as you should be of yourself

On 07/09/2017 at 19:32, deadredfred said:

Or as we know him, Tammy.

Interesting article on how Nigeria are trying to poach him before he gets a full England cap. Slow news day, I know.

And that’s the reason England have called him up.

This may not be popular on here, but I don’t believe ( at the moment) he’s anywhere near good enough for top International football.

4 hours ago, Flint says No said:

Joe Gomez and Ruben Loftus-Cheek also in the squad 

This turn the other cheek fella; waz it all about then? Never heard of him.

4 hours ago, The Batman said:

I said it all Summer to my mates that he'd be going to Russia 2018. Now they're seeing what he's all about in the premier league, they're now agreeing with me. 

Well, well, aren't you the unique prophet. Take a bow and treat yourself to a calming chamomile. Lolz

14 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

This turn the other cheek fella; waz it all about then? Never heard of him.

Well, well, aren't you the unique prophet. Take a bow and treat yourself to a calming chamomile. Lolz

Sorry but if Tammy can get a call up so can Reid. Bobby is a better player. And I am not joking. My opinion. 

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I was very pleased for Tammy until I read that Ruben Loftus Cheek was also called up, and now I feel rather flat about it.

Kind of devalues the worth of being called up!

And Ashley Young!

I did like Southgate's explanation for leaving out Chris Smalling though, "We want to play in a certain way and the players I have brought in I want to see using the ball from the back and building it up in a certain way." Essentially a nicer way of saying that he's shit in possession of the ball.

20 hours ago, Northern Red said:

And Ashley Young!

I did like Southgate's explanation for leaving out Chris Smalling though, "We want to play in a certain way and the players I have brought in I want to see using the ball from the back and building it up in a certain way." Essentially a nicer way of saying that he's shit in possession of the ball.

And yet he still picks Clayface Jones !

I'd be interested in any stats on how many English players currently play in the top-flight, and who many of those players have received at least one England cap.

I'm happy for Tammy, and for any player that puts the shirt on, but since Hodgson it's felt like the only thing you need to do to play for England is to be English and play in the Premier League. I'm all for picking in-form players, but it devalues the national team, and given that clubs nowadays are more than happy to feign injury on their players to keep them away from England duty, the FA needs to do more to make playing for England worthwhile.

1 hour ago, EnderMB said:

I'd be interested in any stats on how many English players currently play in the top-flight, and who many of those players have received at least one England cap.

I'm happy for Tammy, and for any player that puts the shirt on, but since Hodgson it's felt like the only thing you need to do to play for England is to be English and play in the Premier League. I'm all for picking in-form players, but it devalues the national team, and given that clubs nowadays are more than happy to feign injury on their players to keep them away from England duty, the FA needs to do more to make playing for England worthwhile.

A huge part of Tammy’s probable call up is to keep him out of the clutches of Nigeria, get him his full cap & then he’s tied to England, he’s still only 20, so has plenty of time to progress in the game & he’s not done bad for himself, so far I’d say.

2 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

A huge part of Tammy’s probable call up is to keep him out of the clutches of Nigeria, get him his full cap & then he’s tied to England, he’s still only 20, so has plenty of time to progress in the game & he’s not done bad for himself, so far I’d say.

It's a friendly so wouldn't hold him to England

48 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It's a friendly so wouldn't hold him to England

But him getting a call-up for the full team will let him know he’s in the running for a place, if England had just kept him involved in the U21’s & Nigeria tell him they’ll call him up to their full team, it would possibly turn his head knowing that he could earn full international recognition now.

Given the choice of full international or U21 recognition, who is a 20 year-old more likely to choose?

By England involving him at full level, with the mention of him possibly getting some minutes before our next meaningful game (World Cup 2018), is likely to mean that he can put any thoughts about Nigeria out of his head.

Or we carry on with the intention of involving him at U21 level while Nigeria offer him full international recognition now, where’s he likely to go?

And then The FA have to deal with losing arguably our most talented young striker to another country & all the finger pointing from the press, especially when we’re still choosing Defoe & Sturridge in our recent squads, which doesn’t point towards us having a great deal of talent to choose from.

Similarly, why do you think Wales got in there for Ben Woodburn after only a few appearances for Liverpool? To stop him playing for another nation.

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

But him getting a call-up for the full team will let him know he’s in the running for a place, if England had just kept him involved in the U21’s & Nigeria tell him they’ll call him up to their full team, it would possibly turn his head knowing that he could earn full international recognition now.

Given the choice of full international or U21 recognition, who is a 20 year-old more likely to choose?

By England involving him at full level, with the mention of him possibly getting some minutes before our next meaningful game (World Cup 2018), is likely to mean that he can put any thoughts about Nigeria out of his head.

Or we carry on with the intention of involving him at U21 level while Nigeria offer him full international recognition now, where’s he likely to go?

And then The FA have to deal with losing arguably our most talented young striker to another country & all the finger pointing from the press, especially when we’re still choosing Defoe & Sturridge in our recent squads, which doesn’t point towards us having a great deal of talent to choose from.

Similarly, why do you think Wales got in there for Ben Woodburn after only a few appearances for Liverpool? To stop him playing for another nation.

Lots of hypothetical

But back in Sept  Tammy publicly committed himself to England

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/tammy-abraham-england-nigeria-international-swansea-latest-news-a7961126.html

One of numerous articles about it

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Lots of hypothetical

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/tammy-abrah

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Lots of hypothetical

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/tammy-abraham-england-nigeria-international-swansea-latest-news-a7961126.html

One of numerous articles about it

And having met with the head honcho of Nigerian football & having technically got no closer to a full England international call despite the aging Defoe & the underperforming Sturridge continuing to get calls, maybe Tammy just decided to call The English FA’s bluff & see where he stood with a World Cup on the horizon & him being one of only three English strikers playing regularly in The Premier League, he felt he deserved a go now, prior to the World Cup?

Tammy strikes me as far from stupid & would of probably known exactly what he was doing & it does him no harm when it comes to pushing for a place in Chelsea’s first team squad or at getting himself another nice little pay rise!!

It may well all be hypothetical but isn’t that the way most of the revolves? Grasp the nettle while there’s a chance?!?

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

I think that if we get promoted to the Prem (unlikely but possible) the first thing LJ would do would be to contact Chelsea about Tammy's availability. With all the TV money we could afford to pay £20M or whatever and we know he loves the club.

Yeah, signing for Bristol City will do wonders for his International prospects..! 

Let’s move on, eh..!

Archived