IGNORED

Simon Grayson Sacked

cheshire_red

I could understand why he wanted to move on to a bigger club. It felt like he had taken us as far as he could, and his stock had risen significantly after putting us comfortably into the top half with a bottom 3 budget.

However it seemed like a strange move at the time given the problems at Sunderland and now with hindsight it's clear that he jumped ship for the wrong opportunity. Had he waited until the first round of sacking he may have got an offer from a big club with slightly better prospects than Sunderland off the pitch.

I wonder if the characters at Sunderland were too much for him. It's relativity easy to manage a squad like ours at Preston. All honest, down to earth, hard-working, low-paid, , motivated, British players on the up in their careers. Sunderland clearly have highly paid, big-time wasters and you wonder if Grayson has walked in there and some of the players have thought who the hell is this guy.

A shame for him but I'm pretty sure he'll get another Championship job sooner rather than later. He has his faults but he's a decent guy and decent manager at this level.

Was mentioned on ssn that he was only given 1.5m to spend this summer... Board has to take some responsibility if that is the case. Bloated squad of high earning over the hill wasters and he wasn't even given the opportunity to replace them. 

I felt really sorry for the Sunderland fans on Saturday. Not because of the result but because they have lost the will to support. They have absolutely no enjoyment from going to a game. 

Every club's supporters like to think that their club is special, but when the owners act that way, then problems follow. No club is too big not to go down at this level, unlike the Premier League where money can sometimes buy you out of trouble. The Championship is way more competitive and unforgiving.

Sunderland are deep up s*it creek, while Grayson has definitely got pedigree as a manager at this level, including at Preston when he was working with a fairly meagre budget. But to expect him to turn around a club like Sunderland in 15 league matches, when it has been full of overpaid under-performing players for at least a season, and he has been reduced to bringing in players on loan, smacks of a complete lack of understanding from the owners, who have significantly reduced the odds on trips to Rochdale, Scunthorpe & other such salubrious places next season. 

Any manager they appoint now, will have no confidence that he will make it to the end of the season anyway, so might as well just use it as a payday and cash in on a 3-year contract for 6 months or less actual employment. And Grayson will get another job at this level or League 1 soon enough. And he will probably be successful again, unlike Sunderland who look due a visit to the third tier for only the second time.

I was talking to some fans at the weekend before our match. They said very strong rumours about him being given just two more matches. Looks like the rumours were right. They thought the owner now would get an ex player in , someone the fans would love but would have little experience, so i told them about Tinnion. They ssid they were in a mess. Owner wants to sell and the Prem is not all its cracked up to be

1 hour ago, cityironman said:

Will they come knocking on our door for LJ perhaps?

That's probably the only chance they have.

One of my best friends is a Mackem

They are in dire shit. They so must be prepared to go further back to then recover.

But do they still have the premier league need.

It's great really that on there forum Saturday that some thought they should piss all over us as they have never heard of any of our players!!

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Esmond Million's Bung

Don't kid yourself though... Big drop off though it is, over 25k when bottom 2 of Championship, no home win since December.

Plus a downward spiral for about 6 years and one win this season? Still bloody decent, still a decent sized club.

A decent sized club with a mountain of debt ala Portsmouth and Bolton, managers turning them down right left and centre + all of the stuff you mention, a little honesty needs to be the order of the day at Sunderland, the stature has all but left the stadium of light, 25k per home game will not even pay the interest on their debts, they are in big big trouble.

A long since glorious past is not good enough to persuade any self respecting manager about the clubs stature.

12 hours ago, pnefcok said:

I could understand why he wanted to move on to a bigger club. It felt like he had taken us as far as he could, and his stock had risen significantly after putting us comfortably into the top half with a bottom 3 budget.

However it seemed like a strange move at the time given the problems at Sunderland and now with hindsight it's clear that he jumped ship for the wrong opportunity. Had he waited until the first round of sacking he may have got an offer from a big club with slightly better prospects than Sunderland off the pitch.

I wonder if the characters at Sunderland were too much for him. It's relativity easy to manage a squad like ours at Preston. All honest, down to earth, hard-working, low-paid, , motivated, British players on the up in their careers. Sunderland clearly have highly paid, big-time wasters and you wonder if Grayson has walked in there and some of the players have thought who the hell is this guy.

A shame for him but I'm pretty sure he'll get another Championship job sooner rather than later. He has his faults but he's a decent guy and decent manager at this level.

Grayson himself might of thought he'd taken you as far as he could and wanted a fresh challenge, 

Sunderland need a complete rebuiild from top to  bottom and as kid says going down again may be the answer, look at Southampton, Norwich, Leicester and Leeds, all far better clubs now then they were when they went down to league one,

Bolton will drop again but the will bounce right back and become more stable as well, 

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think this is a classic case where relegation to League One would actually do them some good. They need to hit rock bottom and completely rebuild. 

Couldn't agree more, relegation isn't always a bad thing. It will give them a much needed clear out starting from the top. They will attract no doubt, the best players as a league 1 club. As for Grayson, he has achieved promotion at each of his former clubs unless I'm mistaken, he is a proven decent manager. Not sure who fancies taking on that poisoned chalice. 

Makes you wonder if parachute payments are really the safety net some clubs think they are. Sunderland are in a mess with them, maybe clubs take their eye off the ball and think they just have to slosh some money around and they'll be alright. By the time they realise this and go plan B (after sacking a succession of managers and having to pay their high paid bench warmers whose heart isn't  in the club) it's too late as the payments have stopped.

I'm glad in that sense Steve Lansdown at least understands money.

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

A decent sized club with a mountain of debt ala Portsmouth and Bolton, managers turning them down right left and centre + all of the stuff you mention, a little honesty needs to be the order of the day at Sunderland, the stature has all but left the stadium of light, 25k per home game will not even pay the interest on their debts, they are in big big trouble.

A long since glorious past is not good enough to persuade any self respecting manager about the clubs stature.

Think Sunderland are a bit bigger than those 2, should be capable of surviving at this level.

However I tend to agree, past glories, down major debt up they are in big trouble.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think Sunderland are a bit bigger than those 2, should be capable of surviving at this level.

However I tend to agree, past glories, down major debt up they are in big trouble.

Of course they are bigger but sometimes the old sayings hold true today "the bigger they are" etc and so forth.

4 hours ago, RedM said:

Makes you wonder if parachute payments are really the safety net some clubs think they are. Sunderland are in a mess with them, maybe clubs take their eye off the ball and think they just have to slosh some money around and they'll be alright. By the time they realise this and go plan B (after sacking a succession of managers and having to pay their high paid bench warmers whose heart isn't  in the club) it's too late as the payments have stopped.

I'm glad in that sense Steve Lansdown at least understands money.

If you do some digging you will find Sunderland made some particularly abysmal transfer dealings. Reminds me of that Harry Enfield sketch where 'loadsamoney' says 'proudly' when asked how he comes to be rich and in his faux posh git voice says 'I buy high and sell low' without a hint of understanding it being a contradiction in terms. Sunderland have been culpable of that on a monumental scale. Now they are paying for it.

Hardly surprising decision. Failing to beat the bottom team at home, conceding 3 but scoring 3, only one win all season, hopeless 2017 form. I was one of those who thought Grayson was mad to go there.

Just heard Mickey Gray on talkSport earlier stating how Sunderland don't deserve to be in the bottom 3, i don't agree, you finish where you deserve. And if Sunderland get relegated then it will be deserved, due to poor form and terrible management.

I fail to see how the owner wouldn't want to invest, either directly in the team, the stadium, the infrastructure etc as all have a positive knock on effect. Then wonders why no-one wants to buy or he has to sell at a bargain price. Although i feel sorry for the Sunderland fans, i have no sympathy for their plight with such a crap owner in charge. Methinks they are going to have many a dark day and night before any sizeable improvement.

Should make us realise how lucky we are and but for the grace of god go we....

:city:

Archived