IGNORED

Bryan for England

Dolman_Stand

Will Joe Bryan ever play for England?  

352 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Stranger things have happened - I’m sure in their late twenties Lambert and Vardy didn’t see it coming either. 

But I think probably not. On current form he’s the best English left back in the Championship, but there’s a big gulf between that and the best English left back in the world. 

8 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

:laugh: at 2 of those. The other three are of the standard of Rose. 

Why do england fans refuse to accept we have world class players in Kane, Walker, Rose and Alli.

:facepalm: Because finally for the first time in years and years the vast majority of England fans have seen the truth. We dont have one single world class player in our squad dont kid yourself because they do a bit in the Prem!

8 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

Why do england fans refuse to accept we have world class players in Kane, Walker, Rose and Alli.

I'm gonna hazard a guess that Spurs are your "second team"? I can see no other reason for considering Danny Rose and Kyle Walker world class! Kane, yes...Alli certainly has the potential to be and I believe he ultimately will become world class. Not saying the other two aren't good players, but world class?

All about opinions though I guess.

9 hours ago, Harry said:

Bryan is having a better season and is improving. But whooaaah! Last season he was almost unanimously acknowledged to have had a pretty poor season. I personally thought he was one of the poorest players of the regular first team last season. 

He's improving this year but let's keep a perspective, blimey. 

because you coated Joe Bryan off last season doesn't mean he was as crap as you made him out go be. a few weeks ago you said he couldnt shoot then up comes that banger v Palace. here is a  perspective. Joe Bryan is a very very good player who last season still at times showed he was very very good player in  team that nearly went down as fans on this forum also pointed out but you were having more of it. this season in what looks a good team he is showing how good he is by the week. no surprises.proving you wrong others very right.

I'm not sure that the original post was insinuating that Bryan was ready for England now? Unless I am mistaken.

In all honesty if we were to go up this season, or if we didn't and a BPL team bought him over the summer I think he could definitely stake a claim for the next Euro's.

Anyone unsure of Joe B’s quality on here.

Just do what I do and go up near the top row of the Dolman or Lansdown and look DOWN on the game and watch Joe B’s movement/reading of the game from a LB/attacking LB position.

Gives a fascinating perspective on what he potentially could become. He is still young.

The guy is awesome currently.

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

I'm gonna hazard a guess that Spurs are your "second team"? I can see no other reason for considering Danny Rose and Kyle Walker world class! Kane, yes...Alli certainly has the potential to be and I believe he ultimately will become world class. Not saying the other two aren't good players, but world class?

Are you suggesting alli isnt as good as messi or neymar?

the only england player i can see being a really top player in a few years is rashford. 

• Admin
11 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Hmm not convinced he is too far behind those names you've mentioned

Of course he is, he hasn't played anywhere near the top LB in the Prem, he's playing for a top 10 Champ side at present

11 hours ago, Rossi the Robin said:

He makes the game look so easy at times in third gear 

That's the problem, and was mentioned in the summer he looks like he is always playing in third gear

10 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Joe Bryan is simply class. The best full back by a mile in this league. Please please let's keep him at least to the summer. 

@tinman85 You have just made me spit out my tea !!

What a nonsense statement - how many other LB in our league do you watch week in week out?

10 hours ago, Harry said:

Bryan is having a better season and is improving. But whooaaah! Last season he was almost unanimously acknowledged to have had a pretty poor season. I personally thought he was one of the poorest players of the regular first team last season. 

He's improving this year but let's keep a perspective, blimey. 

@Harry is spot on, it wasn't that long ago he was being highlighted for bad positional play, and being caught out of position during the game

Yes he has improved this season but is still a LONG way off being anywhere near the Prem not alone international level!!

11 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Alonso @ Chelsea, Alba @ Barcelona, Marcelo @ Madrid, Alaba@ Munich, Sandro @ Juventus

Don't disagree on the middle three but Alonso firstly is a left wing-back and secondly is terrible defensively.

JB won't ever play for England but it's nice to dream. But let's not forget six months ago we thought he'd lost his mojo and wasn't necessarily even the answer for us let alone Southgate.

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

Yes he has improved this season but is still a LONG way off being anywhere near the Prem not alone international level!!

Bristol City academy coaches described Joe Bryan as technically superb. That was years ago. Technically Joe Bryan is outstanding. He is a 360% player. He is an oddity in the Championship. Technically easily good enough for the Premiership and there have been English International players who have been less skilled. He would continue to improve in superior teams to BCFC.

England? Players should reach and stretch, who knows but the Premiership? All day long.

2 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

No, don’t particularly like spurs. But, let’s be honest, they’re the place to go if you’re a young player. 

2 hours ago, simon uk said:

Are you suggesting alli isnt as good as messi or neymar?

the only england player i can see being a really top player in a few years is rashford. 

There's world class and there's out of this world class, where the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar kinda sit! Alli had the potential but I have doubts over his attitude personally. If he gets his head in the team game he could be world class. 

You're right though... We are seriously lacking in potential elsewhere, regardless of the youth successes this year. Those players likely won't get chances at their clubs and so will struggle to become good enough for the senior team.

12 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

Rose is a good prem player but certainly not in the same bracket as the aforementioned. Not sure on Alonso, but Alaba and especially Marcelo at Madrid are streets ahead or Rose

• Admin
12 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

12 hours ago, Harry said:

Once they prove it on a world stage I'll believe it. To date, none of them have. 

Apart from Ali none of those would be on the radar for any top European side

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Bristol City academy coaches described Joe Bryan as technically superb. That was years ago. Technically Joe Bryan is outstanding. He is a 360% player. He is an oddity in the Championship. Technically easily good enough for the Premiership and there have been English International players who have been less skilled. He would continue to improve in superior teams to BCFC.

England? Players should reach and stretch, who knows but the Premiership? All day long.

Can you explain what a 360% player is?

Never heard that before.

I voted yes but suspect it will be no because of the arrogant way very average prem players are given caps.

IMHO Joe is probably one of the most valuable assets in the championship certainly English player anyway, I think that we will have a massive job to hold onto him, Reid, O'Dowda and Brownhill if they keep up the progress they are making and possibly Baker if he remains fit.

Interesting days lie ahead.

The progress he has made since last season is remarkable, last season he bounced off of players in tackles now they generally bounce off of him, his new found strength has been the key IMO for his massive step up in class.

39 minutes ago, phantom said:

Apart from Ali none of those would be on the radar for any top European side

What? So Kane isn’t on the radar of Real Madrid. Walker didn’t sign for Man City, when the had the option of any RB in the world. Danny Rose isn’t wanted by quite possibly the biggest club in world football in Man Utd. 

******* Clueless

1 hour ago, 42nite said:

Can you explain what a 360% player is?

Never heard that before.

Can the player play off both feet in any direction adeptly, does the players have differing skills to play North to South, West to ... 360%. Its a reviewing tool. There is also TIPS ... Technical, Insight, Personality and Speed . SPIT ... Speed, Personality, Insight, Technique. Profile wheels and on.

And of course we see with our eyes, although sometimes we do not want to see what is there v what we would like to see. 

2 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Can the player play off both feet in any direction adeptly, does the players have differing skills to play North to South, West to ... 360%. Its a reviewing tool. There is also TIPS ... Technical, Insight, Personality and Speed . SPIT ... Speed, Personality, Insight, Technique. Profile wheels and on.

And of course we see with our eyes, although sometimes we do not want to see what is there v what we would like to see. 

Ah right. Nice one, thanks. :thumbsup:

• Admin
1 hour ago, JasonM88 said:

What? So Kane isn’t on the radar of Real Madrid. Walker didn’t sign for Man City, when the had the option of any RB in the world. Danny Rose isn’t wanted by quite possibly the biggest club in world football in Man Utd. 

******* Clueless

So Kane is ONE PLAYER and you call me clueless!

Let's see if any of the top sides sign him

I do think he could one day.

I don't think he would be a regular though.

Right now there is Gibbs/Rose/Cresswell/Taylor and probably 2-3 more ahead of him.

But he's young (though so is Taylor) and has a good 10 years left. If he keeps his development up and makes some smart career choices, then yes he could one day get a handful of caps for England.

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I do think he could one day.

I don't think he would be a regular though.

Right now there is Gibbs/Rose/Cresswell/Taylor and probably 2-3 more ahead of him.

But he's young (though so is Taylor) and has a good 10 years left. If he keeps his development up and makes some smart career choices, then yes he could one day get a handful of caps for England.

This.

If he keeps up this level of performance, he WILL end up in the Premier league, be it with us or someone else. Once he's there, it wouldn't take a lot for him to be noticed by the head beaks at the FA.

It's certainly not beyond the realms of possibilities that JB could represent England one day but it's one step at a time.

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

This.

If he keeps up this level of performance, he WILL end up in the Premier league, be it with us or someone else. Once he's there, it wouldn't take a lot for him to be noticed by the head beaks at the FA.

It's certainly not beyond the realms of possibilities that JB could represent England one day but it's one step at a time.

Sadly I dont think he would get a call up while still our player, even if we were promoted.

(Huge if, but) If Kelly realises his potential (could be better than Bryan I think) and as a club we make a few strides forward- become a stable, if unspectacular, Premier League team- then he may have a chance of getting a call up as a Bristol City player.

17 hours ago, Distortia said:

EDIT: Something tells me he's eligible for Scotland too? Not sure where his allegiances lie (I'd assume England) but that's a far more realistic proposition.

I know it's FM, but in every save I've had for the past few years he's ended up representing Scotland, so that sounds about right.

11 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Sadly I dont think he would get a call up while still our player, even if we were promoted.

(Huge if, but) If Kelly realises his potential (could be better than Bryan I think) and as a club we make a few strides forward- become a stable, if unspectacular, Premier League team- then he may have a chance of getting a call up as a Bristol City player.

He could; imagine we get promoted and we keep the core of our squad together, and this time in a year we're hovering around mid table like Huddersfield or Brighton. He's exactly the sort of player who'd make the squad for a friendly.

Gibson made the France squad in June.. same age and in a position that has lots of stiff competition.

Lots of ifs and buts there of course.. but I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Southgate will want a bit of good credit with England fans before the World Cup and if he selects players who are a bit different from the same old names who'll give everything for the shirt it'll add a bit of intrigue to games in the build up to the WC.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He could; imagine we get promoted and we keep the core of our squad together, and this time in a year we're hovering around mid table like Huddersfield or Brighton. He's exactly the sort of player who'd make the squad for a friendly.

Gibson made the France squad in June.. same age and in a position that has lots of stiff competition.

Lots of ifs and buts there of course.. but I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Southgate will want a bit of good credit with England fans before the World Cup and if he selects players who are a bit different from the same old names who'll give everything for the shirt it'll add a bit of intrigue to games in the build up to the WC.

It could happen, of course, I just think it highly unlikely.

I see your point about Southgate wanting to get in credit with fans by picking someone who isn't one of the usual suspects, but Taylor at Watford(?) would suit that bill far better and I think our standing as a club would make it seem too far the other way and people would say stuff like "he only picked Bryan to try and get fans onside".

I think it must be remembered that as much as we see/hear about how things are changing at our club, we are still widely viewed as "little old Bristol City" by fans of any Premier League side and some former ones (Sunderland and Villa notable examples)

Archived