IGNORED

Bryan for England

Dolman_Stand

Will Joe Bryan ever play for England?  

352 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

It could happen, of course, I just think it highly unlikely.

I see your point about Southgate wanting to get in credit with fans by picking someone who isn't one of the usual suspects, but Taylor at Watford(?) would suit that bill far better and I think our standing as a club would make it seem too far the other way and people would say stuff like "he only picked Bryan to try and get fans onside".

There would be more obvious players - but he's just an injury or two away from being in contention I think. Remember, Danny Rose and Luke Shaw have nothing to prove - it's the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th choice players who'd be getting games in the friendlies if places are at stake.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

I think it must be remembered that as much as we see/hear about how things are changing at our club, we are still widely viewed as "little old Bristol City" by fans of any Premier League side and some former ones (Sunderland and Villa notable examples)

I don't think that matters really - Huddersfield and Brighton are clubs like us and they've changed perceptions through success. 

27 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

I know it's FM, but in every save I've had for the past few years he's ended up representing Scotland, so that sounds about right.

Yep, he was once called up for the Scotland U21s in October 2012 but withdrew through injury.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=2986&newsCategoryID=6&newsID=10701

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

There would be more obvious players - but he's just an injury or two away from being in contention I think. Remember, Danny Rose and Luke Shaw have nothing to prove - it's the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th choice players who'd be getting games in the friendlies if places are at stake.

I don't think that matters really - Huddersfield and Brighton are clubs like us and they've changed perceptions through success. 

You make good points.

However looking at English left backs (using Futwiz's Fifa 18 database as a source, but not looking at the rankings) I think Bryan is further down the pecking order than I initially thought.

Even if we say Bryan is the best English left back in the Championship (he is certainly up there) there are still several Prem ones that would automatically be above him courtesy of their division.

Cresswell, Daniels, Gibbs, Chilwell and Taylor, then the obvious ones like Shaw, Bertrand and Rose.

Bryan would be lucky to be considered top 10 in the list right now.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

You make good points.

However looking at English left backs (using Futwiz's Fifa 18 database as a source, but not looking at the rankings) I think Bryan is further down the pecking order than I initially thought.

Even if we say Bryan is the best English left back in the Championship (he is certainly up there) there are still several Prem ones that would automatically be above him courtesy of their division.

Cresswell, Daniels, Gibbs, Chilwell and Taylor, then the obvious ones like Shaw, Bertrand and Rose.

Bryan would be lucky to be considered top 10 in the list right now.

Yeah probably, but Gibbs is 28 now and Southgate knows what he's about by now, likewise Bertrand and Cresswell. Hasn't Fabian Delph been playing there for Man City too?

Of course he's down the pecking order, but there'll be a push to give younger fringe players a go in friendlies. Charlie Taylor hasn't played in the Prem for Burnley yet so it's difficult to argue he's ahead.

It's not a particularly realistic situation unless we get promoted or he gets bought and plays in the Prem.. but neither of those are impossible. He's an injury to a rival and good personal form away from a possible place in that instance.

Will be interesting to see how far he can go. 

From what I've seen this season, Joe looks better than any England full back I've seen over the last couple of years and he's looked the part against 3 prem teams as well.

I'm sure he wouldn't disgrace himself in an England shirt but one has to wonder how he woyld fare against Ronaldo and the likes. Personally, I think he would do OK.

Hope he doesn't turn to Scotland though as I would love to see him at a World Cup or Euro.

I didn't rate Rose that highly when he was with us but he has improved a lot in recent years.  For me Joe is quicker, stronger and harder in defence andbetter in attack too.  England could really do with a fullback like Joe.

I hope he does get his chance at some point.

11 hours ago, Trueredsupporte said:

because you coated Joe Bryan off last season doesn't mean he was as crap as you made him out go be. a few weeks ago you said he couldnt shoot then up comes that banger v Palace. here is a  perspective. Joe Bryan is a very very good player who last season still at times showed he was very very good player in  team that nearly went down as fans on this forum also pointed out but you were having more of it. this season in what looks a good team he is showing how good he is by the week. no surprises.proving you wrong others very right.

I'll break this down as follows :

1) "I coated him off therefore he's not crap". Not just me, many reports on here and elsewhere stating he had a poor season last year. Not sure how you watch your football, but I watch live and also use BCTV to re-watch and analyse the full 90. In a high amount of games last season, Bryan was poor. Mostly poor decisions on the ball losing possession or poor decisions off the ball in terms of awareness and understanding or simple laziness in working hard to be in the right places. As another poster said on this thread, his desire wasn't there and it was bleeding obvious in his performances. 

2) You are mis-representing me. I have never said he "couldn't shoot" and was proven wrong by his "banger". I replied to a comment a couple of weeks ago (think it may have been after the Derby game), where someone stated "Joe is 'known' for his shooting". I replied that he was not "known" for it. Which he hasn't been to date in his career. Maybe after Palace that impression changes. 

3) Yes, I agree that Bryan has talent. But I am happy with my assessment that he needs to do a lot more to realise that talent. As said earlier, I analyse the games very closely and I have numerous examples this season where Joe has been caught out. Again, through application / awareness as much as anything. I do not question his talent / ability. Just how he's applying it sometimes. 

I will (and already have) acknowledged that he's improving this season. I think his one-on-one defending has been excellent. However, I still see numerous times where the possession breaks down too often and too easily with him. And more importantly, when it does I've seen too many examples of him not getting back into a defensive position quickly enough. This is why you see more sliding tackles from Joe than anyone else, it's invariably a last ditch or late effort from him. He wouldn't need to do so many slide tackles if his desire to position himself better and be more alert improved. 

So, right now, he's encouragingly improving but there's still a lot to do, in my opinion. 

17 minutes ago, Harry said:

1) "I coated him off therefore he's not crap". Not just me, many reports on here and elsewhere stating he had a poor season last year. Not sure how you watch your football, but I watch live and also use BCTV to re-watch and analyse the full 90. In a high amount of games last season, Bryan was poor. Mostly poor decisions on the ball losing possession or poor decisions off the ball in terms of awareness and understanding or simple laziness in working hard to be in the right places. As another poster said on this thread, his desire wasn't there and it was bleeding obvious in his performances. 

2) You are mis-representing me. I have never said he "couldn't shoot" and was proven wrong by his "banger". I replied to a comment a couple of weeks ago (think it may have been after the Derby game), where someone stated "Joe is 'known' for his shooting". I replied that he was not "known" for it. Which he hasn't been to date in his career. Maybe after Palace that impression changes. 

3) Yes, I agree that Bryan has talent. But I am happy with my assessment that he needs to do a lot more to realise that talent. As said earlier, I analyse the games very closely and I have numerous examples this season where Joe has been caught out. Again, through application / awareness as much as anything. I do not question his talent / ability. Just how he's applying it sometimes. 

I will (and already have) acknowledged that he's improving this season. I think his one-on-one defending has been excellent. However, I still see numerous times where the possession breaks down too often and too easily with him. And more importantly, when it does I've seen too many examples of him not getting back into a defensive position quickly enough. This is why you see more sliding tackles from Joe than anyone else, it's invariably a last ditch or late effort from him. He wouldn't need to do so many slide tackles if his desire to position himself better and be more alert improved. 

So, right now, he's encouragingly improving but there's still a lot to do, in my opinion. 

Is there not a danger of over-analysing on your part? If you were to watch any player named on this thread that closely for long enough you will always find mistakes that get made.

If nobody ever made a mistake every game would finish 0-0!

7 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Can the player play off both feet in any direction adeptly, does the players have differing skills to play North to South, West to ... 360%. Its a reviewing tool. There is also TIPS ... Technical, Insight, Personality and Speed . SPIT ... Speed, Personality, Insight, Technique. Profile wheels and on.

And of course we see with our eyes, although sometimes we do not want to see what is there v what we would like to see. 

Do you mean 360 degrees rather than % ?! 

16 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Is there not a danger of over-analysing on your part? If you were to watch any player named on this thread that closely for long enough you will always find mistakes that get made.

I don't intend to pick out one player when watching. But certain things become obvious the closer you watch. So I'm not over-analysing Joe and looking for mistakes. They simply become apparent. 

For example. One of the main flaws to Joe's game this season has been in the high tempo pressing tactic we've often employed. I've seen all too many times where in certain areas of the pitch you'll have a press occurring, such as Bobby closing the full back, Brownhill closing quickly and tightly onto the recipient of the full backs pass, O'Dowda then busting a gut to press high and quick into the next man. As a unit they are working to pressurise the opposition into a mistake. But then when the ball ends up with the man Joe is responsible for, he has 5 yards of space and Joe doesn't have any urgency to close down. The opposition suddenly have no-pressure possession and the time to think about their next move. It's almost like he's a couple of moves behind the rest of the team and not engaging the opponent in the right way when he should be. 

If you want an example right off the bat to demonstrate what I mean, watch Wolves first goal. 

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Do you mean 360 degrees rather than % ?! 

Yes. The ° degree symbol seems to have gone awry,

10 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

100%. If a player strives for perfection he would not take risks, play safe your nil nil analogy is correct.

If you over analyse a player you will never see any positives. That is self defeating. Negative.

A player like Joe Bryan has to make mistakes offensively otherwise he would never cross a ball, most crosses result in lost possession - This is the game.

14 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Yes. The ° degree symbol seems to have gone awry,

100%. If a player strives for perfection he would not take risks, play safe your nil nil analogy is correct.

If you over analyse a player you will never see any positives. That is self defeating. Negative.

A player like Joe Bryan has to make mistakes offensively otherwise he would never cross a ball, most crosses result in lost possession - This is the game.

The losing of possession I refer to is not from crosses or attempted high risk high reward passes. It's simple stuff a lot of the time. 

31 minutes ago, Harry said:

The losing of possession I refer to is not from crosses or attempted high risk high reward passes. It's simple stuff a lot of the time. 

Again part of the game. It was not a LOT unless you can really quantify it. You appear to find it very hard to be positive about this player.

8 hours ago, phantom said:

So Kane is ONE PLAYER and you call me clueless!

Let's see if any of the top sides sign him

No, I quite clearly also mentioned Rose and Walker as well. Do you actually read anyone’s posts. Kane is quite possibly, even probably, the best centre forward in the world. Every single club in the world would have him if they could, and if he wouldn’t cost a bomb at around 200million 

Bryan's performances weren't great last season but I for one thought it was clear he had the making of a superb left back.  To say his desire wasn't there @Harry is complete nonsense.  He was suffering from a lack of confidence, not desire. 

I've said it before, Bryan is better than 4/5 Premier League first choice left backs and someone should be trying to snap him up for £10m before too long.  The position of full back used to be deemed unimportant but not any more.

12 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

No, I quite clearly also mentioned Rose and Walker as well. Do you actually read anyone’s posts. Kane is quite possibly, even probably, the best centre forward in the world. Every single club in the world would have him if they could, and if he wouldn’t cost a bomb at around 200million 

I'd rather Bobby.

18 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Again part of the game. It was not a LOT unless you can really quantify it. You appear to find it very hard to be positive about this player.

I've made positive comments about him in this very thread. 

Again, I'm not actively looking for errors. But they are very evident to me. I have stated that having analysed footage I have seen numerous times where possession was conceded too easily. You seem intent on disagreeing with my analysis. Fair enough. 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

I will break it down.

The boy had  a dodgy season in a dodgy team but still on occasions showed his class. if Joe Bryan was as poor as you made him out to be Lee Johnson would have never have persisted with him and clubs would not be interested in him.  Lee Johnson got this one very right. give it up you got it totally wrong. 

9 hours ago, Harry said:

I've made positive comments about him in this very thread. 

Again, I'm not actively looking for errors. But they are very evident to me. I have stated that having analysed footage I have seen numerous times where possession was conceded too easily. You seem intent on disagreeing with my analysis. Fair enough. 

I asked if you could evidence base your analysis. You have not Analysis is detail. Posters used examples of Joe Bryans goals in this and other threads to highlight the standard of Joe Bryans shooting .

You seem intent to unevenly criticise one player using anecdotal examples of play negatively. Its a consistent.

Your he has talent was hardly a positive comment. All professional footballers have talent. That is why they are not on this forum, and we are.

Archived