IGNORED

The rising star of Lee Johnson

reddogkev

Plaudits have to be given to Lee for this outstanding start to the season.

When things are going so well, both on and off the pitch, when teams start reaching quarter finals of serious cup competitions, it means the manager is doing a superb job.

Top work Lee, let's hope you can take City onwards and upwards -  firstly to become a feared Championship side, and then push for a spot in the top division.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Credit to SL for sticking by LJ last season.

Yep, you do have to wonder if SL can see the future.  Would explain how he made his billions ...

And the mistakes in his earlier years as Chairman - just a smoke screen to hide his secret gift!

55 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

No surprise. We have a great coach on our hands. Evidently clear from the second he walked through the door.

His potential was certainly clear at Oldham and someone who works in the town I know he was very highly regarded there.  

Johnson clearly learning from his mistakes and seems to be improving as a coach and as a man-manager.  Did well to turn Flint's head back who has been a rock this season.

32 minutes ago, grifty said:

LJ is learning from errors too which is good to see. We do now have a settled squad/formation and he only changes 1-2 players a game for injuries/tactical reasons, not the 5-6 and formation changes like last year.

Last year was a mark of desperation.

Desperation is the mix-amitosis of the football world 

6 hours ago, RedDave said:

Incredibly there are still some fans who would still sack him now

I don’t think there are, are there?

i still stand by the fact that he should’ve got the boot last season. We were absolutely desperate for the most part.

But I’m not sure anyone could have seen this coming!

”What would Johnson have to do to win you back?”... this. Exactly this. 

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

i still stand by the fact that he should’ve got the boot last season. We were absolutely desperate for the most part.

I believe i am on record as saying exactly that.. He should go. Then.. Ok so SL is standing by him. The only way he will turn me and plenty others around is top 6. I think I may have said promotion as well... Maybe I know something that not even I know. Is that an inverted oxymoron or just a bunch of interminable hyperbole? Anyway... Lets enjoy it. Feet firmly on the ground and not going anywhere near a hot air balloon anytime soon.

6 hours ago, allyolly said:

Genuinely interested to hear opinions from posters who wanted LJ gone last season. I recall some said they would not renew season tickets etc or even step foot in the ground whilst LJ was our manager. Not saying those opinions weren’t justified at all. 

I wanted him gone last season, firstly the run of losses for me was unacceptable. To add to that too many performances in my opinion were poor and also they’re appeared to be unrest in the dressing room, and certain players were causing problems behind the scenes.

However, the club stood by him and I do believe that will stand us in good stead when looking for a new manager (Johnson will either move onto a bigger club or will be sacked that’s football).

I have been surprised by our form this season, on the whole we have been fantastic, playing fast attaching football, we press the ball and look solid in defence. As others have said Johnson has kept changes to a minimum (unlike last season) and appears to have learnt from last season.

I am extremely impressed with the start this season and whilst it is early days the outlook would appear bright.

A lot of credit for that has to go to LJ and his staff.

Long may it continue but this is a very tough league, on their day any team can beat anyone else, we will have a bad spell and it’s how we recover from that is key to whether we have really turned a corner.

There were undoubtedly mistakes last year.  But in not sure there were as many as it seems. We had a lot of players coming to terms with this division  (CoD, Josh, Bobby, Marlon etc) or with new positions (Joey) and all trying to understand a new style of play. Trying to halt the run resulted in too much tinkering, true, but the development of the team last year is evident this season.

I was one of the few on here who advocated keeping him as I could see what he was trying to do and had belief that what we've seen this year was possible, albeit maybe not until next year. I'm extremely relieved that my faith was not misplaced...and excited to see just how this progresses from here.

I wanted him gone last season - and was one of those who didn't renew my ST. I just felt unable to face another run like last season's record straight losses.

I have to say some of the traits that turned me against LJ seem to have been addressed. Unaccountably dropping players for weeks on end. Playing five formations in one game. Calling out players in public. All those things seem to have gone. 

Credit to SL for seeing the potential was there. LJ is delivering now on what he promised. Fast, attacking football and breaking records in a good way. I have been very impressed so far this season. Let's hope he takes us onwards and upwards.

I wanted him gone after the Crapdiff game at home and the Reading comeback, from 2-0. 

Then I started to see some changes arrive when JP was released from duties. We stopped trying to shoehorn Tomlin into formations. Which is where all the tinkering came trying to find a solution to fit Tomlin into the squad. (Bet the fat **** scores the winner against us now). 

As others said when SL backed him I climbed back on the fence and thought he’s our manager so I’ve no option but to support him. And luckily for us it paid off, and we stayed in the championship. 

We all know his time will end by either sacking or being poached. I’m hoping poached as that means we are still doing well. 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Afraid so mate. I know some.  If we lose three in a row and are 10th you will start to hear them.  They dont want us to fail but if we show signs they will take their opportunity

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Afraid so mate. I know some.  If we lose three in a row and are 10th you will start to hear them.  They dont want us to fail but if we show signs they will take their opportunity

You’re right. Most ‘LJ out’ people from last season gave him a clean slate for 17/18 and revised their opinions from last season based on our good form - totally reasonable.

There’s a few who’d rather be ‘proven right’ than for the club to succeed though.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You’re right. Most ‘LJ out’ people from last season gave him a clean slate for 17/18 and revised their opinions from last season based on our good form - totally reasonable.

There’s a few who’d rather be ‘proven right’ than for the club to succeed though.

Dont think i agree with latter.  I think they want it to succeed but have a back up plan to moan when we lose a few

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Dont think i agree with latter.  I think they want it to succeed but have a back up plan to moan when we lose a few

I know a few who’s personal dislike of Lee Johnson supersedes their desire for the club to do well with him as manager.

They always manage to squeeze in the fact that they didn’t like him as a player either.

I was thinking last night that we are probably the best team in the league outside the Prem, and then some, considering we beat (well) 3 top flight teams too, we I reckon would be OK in the Prem with this brand of football. But then the other side of me say's hang on, let's reach 50 points first and then kick on, after all I am City as we all are, but I have just been around a bit longer and have seen all the up's and downs...but one thing for sure we have a good coach at the moment, but let's not get too carried away.

Oh! Go On then . :chant6ez::chant6ez:

I’d like to know if those ******** with their painted sheets still have them? Nicely washed and pressed, waiting to unfurl them in anger.

Or if all those who said they wouldn’t renew their season tickets really didn’t. Or might now have a sneaky half card now that things are picking up

Through thick and thin. And right until the final whistle. 

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I know a few who’s personal dislike of Lee Johnson supersedes their desire for the club to do well with him as manager.

They always manage to squeeze in the fact that they didn’t like him as a player either.

And living in the past to justify the unjustifiable present. What cocks.

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yup I concur with this, for some it's personal. There's even a poster on this forum, called Ben, He goes under Taxi For Johnson. His rants are personal towards Johnson and is exactly the type of fan the club doesn't need.

I think we as fans, and even Club owners, over simplify things. Expecting managers to turn around football clubs in a season, and not have any blips.

There are many good managers that 'fail' because they just don't get the time to put everything in place.

I'm watching with interest what will happen with Jaap Stam at Reading....he's obviously got talent, but they are sitting 5th from bottom and struggling. I hope he's given time to turn things around.

LJ has all the attributes to succeed...but it's everything else that has happened at the Club in his time, that has helped him produce the football he's doing now.

You need that time to ingrain your system in the players.

You need that time to find the players that can play that system. Agree to the system and work as a unit, instead of as individuals. That 'DNA' they keep talking about. To create a squad where everyone can come in seamlessly knowing their job. No individuals...a squad.

You need coach's to be 100% behind you and believe in the system. To be good t their job.

You need the analysts, physio's, nutritionists, scouts, people like MA, the backroom staff, all knowing their job and doing it well and agreeing with it.

You need the Academy players seeing a pathway to the first team, giving the first teamers competition and having them on their toes...creating a work ethic.

You need the owners and board members to support you, through thick and thin.

It's all those things that make the results and performances on the pitch positive.

Time...and more time.

Add all that with a bit of luck, not too many injuries and you might get a very good season.

Archived