IGNORED

Almost a third in.....

Robbored

15 games and 27 points at an average of 1.8 points per game with just two defeats is a pretty decent start to a long season. The third highest goal difference as well. 

Macca was 'buzzing' after last nights win and I daresay most of us fans are as well. It's really enjoyable to see City playing with confidence and being able to adapt different strategies against different opponents and having enough depth in the squad to cope with the run of current injuries. Several regulars are missing, Pisaro, Diedhiou, GoN, Hegelar and Baker. An injury list like that would seriously deplete lots of other squads.

LJ and his backroom staff are doing a great job. They've built a deep and balanced squad, with at least two players for every position.

I sense the "feel good" factor is back at AG. Long may it continue.

If the current form persists then we are heading for a final points tally of around 78. That should be enough to get us a play off spot. 

The big question is how long we can sustain what is quite a long injury list. We do have a good squad but, especially in defence we don't have much room left for further injuries.

The feel good factor is definitely here.

33 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

If the current form persists then we are heading for a final points tally of around 78. That should be enough to get us a play off spot. 

The big question is how long we can sustain what is quite a long injury list. We do have a good squad but, especially in defence we don't have much room left for further injuries.

The feel good factor is definitely here.

We splash the cash on a couple in Jan and we can win auto. Particularly midfield. 

1 minute ago, tinman85 said:

We splash the cash on a couple in Jan and we can win auto. Particularly midfield. 

Yea it is why I am happy with the cup draw. That will bring in a bit of cash which could fund a high quality loan or two to help us out if we are still in a good position come January. I am just not aure what we need. Obviously a centre mid but for cover or to come in and start? Still top 6 come January you may not want to mess with too many things 

9 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

If we are in the top six come Jan 1st I can see SL going all out. 

I wonder if he still looks back and thinks he made a mistake in 07/08 by not really going for it in January. 

15 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I wonder if he still looks back and thinks he made a mistake in 07/08 by not really going for it in January. 

This is always a tricky issue as you run the risk of rocking the boat with the existing squad that has got us so far and is on the crest of a wave. 

Being in a high position in the champ though come January does make us more appealing for potential transfer targets though so you have to make the most of that opportunity if it arises

5 hours ago, Show Me The Money! said:

This is always a tricky issue as you run the risk of rocking the boat with the existing squad that has got us so far and is on the crest of a wave. 

Being in a high position in the champ though come January does make us more appealing for potential transfer targets though so you have to make the most of that opportunity if it arises

For all of his smiles, friendly banter & quips, make no mistake - LJ is a ruthless manager, and that is the difference between this season & last. Long may it continue!

SC ultimitely paid the price for being too loyal for too long, with too many. 

Football is fickle, as we all know and it would be quite right to improve any area of the team, if & when we can. LJ is now acutely aware of this, whilst also keeping spirit & morale high is vital. 

If we can improve on player quality, we will because that is what will bring us the success that SL has entrusted LJ to bring. No friendship or sentiment could or should stand in the way of that. 

We have proven, that we now do due diligence on player character and if/when we get it wrong, players are shipped out, so that no disruption is caused. 

We’ve been too “nice” for too long. 

LJ is our own mini Alex Ferguson style, if you like. (See what I did there..?!) 

We were told a year ago “don’t get too attached to players” they have jobs to do and if we can find ones who will do it better, then we will do what we can to improve. 

Exciting times! 

16 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

I used to passionately argue that GJ/SL did the right thing by sticking by the squad that got us there in January, but in hindsight it was the single biggest wasted opportunity of a generation. 

The fact that we’ve not got anywhere near that level again since speaks volumes.

One or two real top drawer additions in January could be make or break for us if we are still in the mix and I don’t think SL would make the same mistake again.

I’m not one for superstitious gubbins but LJ to do what GJ couldn’t, on the ‘ten year anniversary’ season?! I wouldn’t rule it out on what I’ve seen so far but of course a very long way to go. 

7 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I've said before but if we're anywhere from 7th upwards in January, I think we'll spend ******* millions in the window. On a big player in the division. We will need it to get us over the line, it's what we lacked in 2008 and IMO ultimately cost us. 

There will be a fine line between spending big and not rocking the boat with the existing squad however.

50 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

What do you mean? Nick Carle was the new Kaka.

Actually on that note, if we do spend big it'll be on either a number 10 or a creative midfielder, won't it? The only thing we're really lacking.

1 minute ago, Robin1988 said:

Actually on that note, if we do spend big it'll be on either a number 10 or a creative midfielder, won't it? The only thing we're really lacking.

Possibly another right back, creative midfielder and another striker maybe would be on my list.  

I agree that one or two new faces could make all the difference but my biggest worry is greater interest in our current squad ie , Flint and Bryan again , Bobby ,Corey etc if we lose any of them can we replace them , yes we have cover here now but will time allow for the right replacement to be brought in . Any interest anywhere , even if the player doesn’t move will we have the turned head situation we had with Flinty , 2 or 3 games with one or two heads turned could mean finishing 7 th and missing out on play offs

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

15 games and 27 points at an average of 1.8 points per game with just two defeats is a pretty decent start to a long season. The third highest goal difference as well. 

Macca was 'buzzing' after last nights win and I daresay most of us fans are as well. It's really enjoyable to see City playing with confidence and being able to adapt different strategies against different opponents and having enough depth in the squad to cope with the run of current injuries. Several regulars are missing, Pisaro, Diedhiou, GoN, Hegelar and Baker. An injury list like that would seriously deplete lots of other squads.

LJ and his backroom staff are doing a great job. They've built a deep and balanced squad, with at least two players for every position.

I sense the "feel good" factor is back at AG. Long may it continue.

Also I think its a sign of the growing together of a talented squad of players.  Brownhill, Reid, Patterson, O'Dowda, Pack, Smith, Flinty etc, all have been together now for more than a season, and know each other's game inside out. The nucleus of the team is strong and gaining experience now rapidly. But its now GOOD experience, as opposed to confidence sapping backs-against-the-wall damage limitation. The confidence of the players is growing, an air of invincibility that opposing teams see, smell, fear.  Only time will tell where that leads us.

As far as losing players, I cant see that any of our players would take the shilling and move on up right now.  They are intelligent enough to recognise a great situation when they see it. I would include Lee Johnson in that (accepting that none of the big 6 are going to come knocking just yet).

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I'm sure he does.

It has taken 10 years to get back to being in a similar situation. I very much doubt that he thought it would take that long.

22 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

20 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Possibly another right back, creative midfielder and another striker maybe would be on my list.  

Surely what we need is a top draw defensive midfielder, to compliment what we’ve got..?

There is no room in our team, with 2 attacking wide players/wingers, for another attacking midfielder in the centre. Unless itscas another option, but no top player is going to come here to play In the games that we decide to alter formation. 

I could see a Prem youth loan striker come in, as Fammy could be struggling to be match fit again until March. 

44 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I've said before but if we're anywhere from 7th upwards in January, I think we'll spend ******* millions in the window. On a big player in the division. We will need it to get us over the line, it's what we lacked in 2008 and IMO ultimately cost us. 

I'm not saying you're wrong but I'm not quite so sure, what if we spend big & just miss out again. We've been there before & suffered for a long time, I realise that we are now better equiped for the long run but feel it may be a steady as she goes attitude. Interesting & exciting times ahead.

Yep felt like a lost opportunity. Adebola and Carle were good players in their own right, but not the quality required for promotion.

We needed a couple more £1m players back then (probably worth £5m or £6m in 2017's market!)

If we're serious about top 6 or better (and we should be if we're still there come January) we will need a couple more players to cement our place. This is a tough division and I think if there's a realistic chance of top 6 we need to do everything we can to keep our place. We know that the likes of Leeds, Wolves, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby etc would spend big where necessary and perhaps we should too. Just a couple of additions, without totally chopping and changing the balance of the squad, could be the difference.

I feel our squad is far stronger than the one back then in 2008, it's a little concerning that Pisano and Baker keep getting niggles; especially if Magnússon still fancies a move in January.

Think we may need another right back.. we probably do need another quality goalscoring midfielder and that wouldn't come cheap. 

I think, being brutal about it, there's a case to try and terminate Woodrow's loan and get another top quality forward, especially if Diedhiou won't be fit until February and Djuric tends to pick up injuries too. I accept we haven't really seen enough of Woodrow to judge, but even with our injuries he appears to be 4th choice behind Reid, Djuric and Taylor. That's not a great sign.

2 minutes ago, bpexile said:

I'm not saying you're wrong but I'm not quite so sure, what if we spend big & just miss out again. We've been there before & suffered for a long time, I realise that we are now better equiped for the long run but feel it may be a steady as she goes attitude. Interesting & exciting times ahead.

Well that's the risk you take. 

This is a tough division, who knows what teams will be relegated next year.. Some big teams could realistically come down and put significant funds behind a swift return.

This year it doesn't seem to be the case and we need to strike whilst the iron is hot.

Sure, it might not work. But we'd be better equipped for next year.

I'd hate for us to have a great season, be top 6 until April then get bad injuries to Reid, Smith and Bryan which leaves us severely weakened so we miss out. 

Who knows - if we're top 6 come Jan, we might not have as good an opportunity for another 5 seasons.

Yep Hull and Stoke both went for it and brought it some decent loan signings whilst we didn't and ultimately we lost out.

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yep felt like a lost opportunity. Adebola and Carle were good players in their own right, but not the quality required for promotion.

We needed a couple more £1m players back then (probably worth £5m or £6m in 2017's market!)

If we're serious about top 6 or better (and we should be if we're still there come January) we will need a couple more players to cement our place. This is a tough division and I think if there's a realistic chance of top 6 we need to do everything we can to keep our place. We know that the likes of Leeds, Wolves, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby etc would spend big where necessary and perhaps we should too. Just a couple of additions, without totally chopping and changing the balance of the squad, could be the difference.

I feel our squad is far stronger than the one back then in 2008, it's a little concerning that Pisano and Baker keep getting niggles; especially if Magnússon still fancies a move in January.

Think we may need another right back.. we probably do need another quality goalscoring midfielder and that wouldn't come cheap. 

I think, being brutal about it, there's a case to try and terminate Woodrow's loan and get another top quality forward, especially if Diedhiou won't be fit until February and Djuric tends to pick up injuries too. I accept we haven't really seen enough of Woodrow to judge, but even with our injuries he appears to be 4th choice behind Reid, Djuric and Taylor. That's not a great sign.

Adebola was a strange one he gave one of the best strikers performances I have seen against Palace away in the playoffs battered the central defenders but then was the complete opposite against Hull.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Adebola was a strange one he gave one of the best strikers performances I have seen against Palace away in the playoffs battered the central defenders but then was the complete opposite against Hull.

I really liked Adebola but just felt our team lacked a forward with a bit more speed and direct running.. someone like Kodjia or even Reid would’ve been perfect.

6 minutes ago, Super said:

We should have pushed the boat out and signed Kevin Phillips. He was out of contract at the end of the season, WBA were only offering him a 1 year deal IIRC. We should have steamed in there with a longer deal (might have cost a few bob in wages mind!) but, even at 34 he'd have scored the goals to get us up I reckon.

14 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

The good thing is if we can maintain this league position and even improve it then we will be able to attract some top players.

Our stock is SO much higher than 2007/08. 

I would go so far as to say that if we were in the same position in January, then there are very few players that we could not tempt to come here, from other championship clubs. 

The footballing world is aware of SL and his financial clout, his sticking by LJ last season will have won us a lot of admirers within the game, the new AG is hugely impressive and we seem to be one of the Channel 5 Championships’ programmes favourite clubs at the moment, with their gushing praise of us. 

If we want and are prepared to pay what’s needed, how many players in this division could not be tempted to be part of what certainly looks like a club that can/is going places. 

NB: Obviously this is all only the case until we are overtaken by the footballing powerhouse that lie a couple of miles north of us! Tick tock....! 

55 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Surely what we need is a top draw defensive midfielder, to compliment what we’ve got..?

There is no room in our team, with 2 attacking wide players/wingers, for another attacking midfielder in the centre. Unless itscas another option, but no top player is going to come here to play In the games that we decide to alter formation. 

I could see a Prem youth loan striker come in, as Fammy could be struggling to be match fit again until March. 

I can see that we could try to pick up a young forward on loan, especially considering how well Tammy did here last season.

Hull brought in Frazier Campbell from Man Ure and he got the goals that propelled them up the play off places. Something similar would be good...

I too think be in this position in January and SL will probably pay some eye watering sums to get us promoted. Particularly as in his mind he is probably looking at the squad and looking at significant profits likely to be made on players like Bryan, Smith, Brownhill, O Dowda, Reid, Flint, Baker. If he went out and spent £10m he's probably thinking if it doesn't work out between selling that player and just one of our stars he'll get his transfer fee back.

Archived