IGNORED

Wireless house alarms

Taz

Moving into a new house soon, and one of the first things I shall be doing is fitting an alarm, so are there any recommendations? Will be fitting myself.

Screwfix did have an offer on a few months back for a yale set for around £100, but they don't seem to have it on now. 

Will need to cover front door/hall, kitchen at the front and living room at back with a door to the garden.

I used to have a one room office and, rather than go for complicated and expensive wiring, bought a "space-filler" type.  Basically it is the size of a cigarette pack and sits on a shelf.  When you leave the office/room at night you set it and when you return in the morning switch it off within ten seconds or so.  It could not be simpler and, from memory, only cost about £20.  Of course, you would need one for each room where entry might be possible.  Don't know if this is of use but worth considering.

18 hours ago, Taz said:

Moving into a new house soon, and one of the first things I shall be doing is fitting an alarm, so are there any recommendations? Will be fitting myself.

Screwfix did have an offer on a few months back for a yale set for around £100, but they don't seem to have it on now. 

Will need to cover front door/hall, kitchen at the front and living room at back with a door to the garden.

We had an alarm a few years ago but it developed problems, I expect technology is better now though. Half the time we wouldn't risk setting it in case it went off. Several other people nearby had alarms which regularly went off and after a while people didn't even neither to look out, so if that's the case how useful are they?

After having neighbour problems we installed cctv on the advice of the Police, it has been very useful in capturing evidence against the neighbour who was convicted on evidence provided. But as a secondary thing it does provide peace of mind that my burglar alarm didn't. It runs 24/7, no need to remember to set, records on a hard drive, can monitor the front and back of the house, covers doors and windows, garden etc. I can use my phone to see live footage or playback from the hard drive when I'm away. You can set to record all or just movement. At night the cameras record perfectly in night vision, the red ring glow shows any potential thieves the cameras are on and hopefully this is a deterrent.

Personally I think you get do much more value from cctv, but of course it's down to personal needs. 

@RedM Interesting thanks, got to be honest I was thinking of going with some sort of a camera as well so will bear that in mind.

@bcfcfinker been looking at similar (although cheaper) systems. Thinking of one of the ones that alert you when it goes off, but as it's a new build on what was a field, I'm not sure if the mobile signal is going to be good enough, so may have to go with a link to the landline. Will have to check my mobile signal when I'm there next.

@Red Bill Its more of a complete system I'm after, also by the time you get the individual units to cover what I want, I may as well get a complete system, but thanks for the suggestion :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Taz said:

@RedM Interesting thanks, got to be honest I was thinking of going with some sort of a camera as well so will bear that in mind.

@bcfcfinker been looking at similar (although cheaper) systems. Thinking of one of the ones that alert you when it goes off, but as it's a new build on what was a field, I'm not sure if the mobile signal is going to be good enough, so may have to go with a link to the landline. Will have to check my mobile signal when I'm there next.

@Red Bill Its more of a complete system I'm after, also by the time you get the individual units to cover what I want, I may as well get a complete system, but thanks for the suggestion :thumbsup:

The alarm will probably use your wifi so you shouldn't have any problems on that front.

As to mobile signal, use 'wifi calling' - most providers provide it for free now and can be used if your phone has the functionality (newer smart phones do).

22 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Get a dog!! Better than any alarm system !

Also happening at some point but as we both work all day is not realistic, or fair, to get one until the summer when my wife will be at home (both work in a school).  Any school holidays until then we're either in Bristol or at her mum's in Colchester, so pretty tied.

She also won't have a big dog, (Springer spaniel being the limit whereas I'd have a shepherd....). She likes the smaller dogs so we've agreed on a Daschund as I quite like thenlm as well. Not very intimidating though :P

43 minutes ago, Taz said:

Also happening at some point but as we both work all day is not realistic, or fair, to get one until the summer when my wife will be at home (both work in a school).  Any school holidays until then we're either in Bristol or at her mum's in Colchester, so pretty tied.

She also won't have a big dog, (Springer spaniel being the limit whereas I'd have a shepherd....). She likes the smaller dogs so we've agreed on a Daschund as I quite like thenlm as well. Not very intimidating though :P

Nothing wrong with having both (defence in depth), although I will say that my dog is a terrible guard dog - she is more likely to greet a burglar with a wag of the tail and help them load my goods into their car.

1 hour ago, bcfcfinker said:

Nothing wrong with having both (defence in depth), although I will say that my dog is a terrible guard dog - she is more likely to greet a burglar with a wag of the tail and help them load my goods into their car.

Mine too, especially if they happened to arrive carrying a pound of sausages.

Archived