IGNORED

No "News" - must be good news

Port Said Red

Back in the dark days of last season, we were given a stream of news from supposed ITK's telling us about who was unhappy, how much Lee was hated by certain players, stories about SL's real plans for the club and apparently picking the side from his Guernsey Estate, and how Mark Ashton was some sort of Machiavellian character pulling the strings behind the scenes. Those stories seemed to have dried up recently and I have two possible reasons for this in my head.

1. In my 50 odd years of watching the club, these stories only really seem to surface when the club is doing badly, rumours are started either deliberately by people with a vested interest in a change to the status quo, or accidentally via a misinterpretation of statements or actions by players and staff. We are currently doing well, so no-one is looking for the signs of discontent or feel they would be on a hiding to nothing in trying to stir up trouble.

2. The second is that there have been changes to key personnel and on the playing staff, and I have to wonder whether if these key personnel were the source of many of the rumours and that was part of the reason for their departures. I am not going to name names, but I am sure others have considered this too.

The rumours all stemmed around mainly one player, and even those rumours never hit the actual truth in revealing any hint of his pending court case. If we're gonna go with the theory there is no smoke without some kind of flame, then you can probably safely say that the Chinese whispers got turned into supporting whatever agenda the person telling these rumours had.

Now that player is no longer at this club and nobody can have an agenda against anybody at the club present, it's probably why the dissenting voices have died down. So a mix of both really. 

10 hours ago, upthebracket said:

The rumours all stemmed around mainly one player, and even those rumours never hit the actual truth in revealing any hint of his pending court case. If we're gonna go with the theory there is no smoke without some kind of flame, then you can probably safely say that the Chinese whispers got turned into supporting whatever agenda the person telling these rumours had.

In China they're just called whispers. Mind. 

8 hours ago, Tiree said:

I think this is an interesting perspective but is maybe too complex a reason whereas the pure media circus withing which our game is now played means you ahve all sorts of ITK people making a living talking about agents and others in the game who are neither players nor managers. Media pundits (hacks, has-beens on tv etc all need stories to tell and 'break'.

It is clear to me that everyone at the Cub loves (as they should) SL, the fans love him, the team, the manager, MA etc.

Just read this Forum in Dec Jan and Feb and you'll see how fickle some people writing were. THeir frustration was partly due to the poor run but largely due to thats what they hear and see on tv and the press; short-termism and outragious comments about how bad everything is. THat's what sells newspaper print and radio/tv time. No-one just wants to hear good news. The media are to blame for an awful lot of waht is wrong in Britain and English football today

:clapping:

On 31/10/2017 at 22:18, Bar BS3 said:

56 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

The only time I've ever known a ITK to get anything right was @Black ops when he revealed we had signed Taylor from the Sags.

Kid in the riot was amazingly  accurate at predicting the Rovers fiasco with Sainsbury’s wasn’t he?

1 hour ago, Vincent Vega said:

The only time I've ever known a ITK to get anything right was @Black ops when he revealed we had signed Taylor from the Sags.

That's true - it's possible though he just got that one right as complete fluke. He went on to say we were appointing Redknapp or Pardew IIRC and obviously that wasn't right.

There are a fair few people on here who are ITK, people hear different bits and pieces about different things. Some will know about transfer matters, some will know a bit of dressing room gossip.. others off the pitch stuff.

It's good when pieces of info get put on here, but the ridiculous reaction pretty much anyone gets when they post something juicy (SOURCE?!?!?!?!) and general scepticism would put anyone off. If I heard any bits and pieces of info I'd be very reluctant to share publicly on here.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's true - it's possible though he just got that one right as complete fluke. He went on to say we were appointing Redknapp or Pardew IIRC and obviously that wasn't right.

There are a fair few people on here who are ITK, people hear different bits and pieces about different things. Some will know about transfer matters, some will know a bit of dressing room gossip.. others off the pitch stuff.

It's good when pieces of info get put on here, but the ridiculous reaction pretty much anyone gets when they post something juicy (SOURCE?!?!?!?!) and general scepticism would put anyone off. If I heard any bits and pieces of info I'd be very reluctant to share publicly on here.

it isn't ridiculous at all, when you see the amount of itk that turns out to be completely made up, then its fully understandable why people react that way

only have to loo at the beginning of this season, with the "everyone wants to leave", "no one wants to play for johnson" "Jon Lansdown picks the team" posts that were being made by people who had "heard",

People would be more believing if there was alot less bullshit being posted

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

it isn't ridiculous at all, when you see the amount of itk that turns out to be completely made up, then its fully understandable why people react that way

only have to loo at the beginning of this season, with the "everyone wants to leave", "no one wants to play for johnson" "Jon Lansdown picks the team" posts that were being made by people who had "heard",

People would be more believing if there was alot less bullshit being posted

Forum nerds like you and I Monkeh are long enough in the tooth to know who to trust and who's stirring the pot. 

There isn't that much nonsense posted really, it's easy to see when it is. 

If an established poster comes on here with a bit of info or gossip, the inevitable and juvenile 'SOURCE?!?!?!' inquisition is unnecessary. My main gripe with that is why on earth would ANYONE reveal their 'source' for gossip or info on such a public and popular forum?

And anyway, if Jon Lansdown picking the team equals form like we've had - I hope he carries on! Better results than Lee's tombola anyway!

43 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

i wouldn't stoop that low and I'm pretty low,

but I'm sure we have the same people in mind

Spoilsport! 

But yes- although I can't deny I love pulling tails at times like this- they all know who they are, they know how anti City they've been and don't really have a credible way back until we hit our next mini crisis.

At which point I will be soundly abused for my misplaced positivity, apologivity, superfanitivity and failure to see what was so glaringly obvious all along : Lee was always out of his depth and the club is run by a clueless dictator. :yes:

Mind you- I find the old " we are going up" world beater attitude after 30% of the season so 'how dare you not be positive' attitude equally as ridiculous as the "we are going down"  and 'how dare you not be negative' attitude.

56 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Forum nerds like you and I Monkeh are long enough in the tooth to know who to trust and who's stirring the pot. 

If an established poster comes on here with a bit of info or gossip, the inevitable and juvenile 'SOURCE?!?!?!' inquisition is unnecessary. My main gripe with that is why on earth would ANYONE reveal their 'source' for gossip or info on such a public and popular forum?

And anyway, if Jon Lansdown picking the team equals form like we've had - I hope he carries on! Better results than Lee's tombola anyway!

Aye I tend to be a pretty decent judge in my own head fogg, but I was coming from the people who write anything and everything off right away point of view,

It tends to be the complete random ones out of nowhere that turn out to be true, like the bakison rumour this season

14 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Back in the dark days of last season, we were given a stream of news from supposed ITK's telling us about who was unhappy, how much Lee was hated by certain players, stories about SL's real plans for the club and apparently picking the side from his Guernsey Estate, and how Mark Ashton was some sort of Machiavellian character pulling the strings behind the scenes. Those stories seemed to have dried up recently and I have two possible reasons for this in my head.

1. In my 50 odd years of watching the club, these stories only really seem to surface when the club is doing badly, rumours are started either deliberately by people with a vested interest in a change to the status quo, or accidentally via a misinterpretation of statements or actions by players and staff. We are currently doing well, so no-one is looking for the signs of discontent or feel they would be on a hiding to nothing in trying to stir up trouble.

2. The second is that there have been changes to key personnel and on the playing staff, and I have to wonder whether if these key personnel were the source of many of the rumours and that was part of the reason for their departures. I am not going to name names, but I am sure others have considered this too.

The same with a bristol sport, when we do badly bristol sport gets pelters, when we do well it’s never mentioned at all.

Surely if it was rubbish and sucking all of ‘our’ resources, thus impacting performances, it would always be an issue.

I think in reality, during a bad run, people look for scapegoats, first it’s the manager, then the players, then Bristol sport, then the chairman.

when we lose a few on the bounce, which we will, all of those scapegoats will appear

It's simple really. 

When the team is playing well and winning games everyone is happy and buoyant.

When the team is playing poorly and losing games everyone is unhappy and despondent.

What to people do when they're unhappy and despondent?  

Whinge, become  critical and complain.

• Admin
6 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

@Vincent Vega Over the past months and years there have been many posting of correct signings / issues at the club, but because the poster didn't shout loudly about it the comments often went under the radar.

It's all about knowing who to listen to and know who is full of BS

59 minutes ago, phantom said:

@Vincent Vega Over the past months and years there have been many posting of correct signings / issues at the club, but because the poster didn't shout loudly about it the comments often went under the radar.

It's all about knowing who to listen to and know who is full of BS

Kachina springs to mind .

22 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I got told something once. It ended up in the 'Classics' forum. I wouldn't bother again

It's actually a valid point, if I ever became party to a juicy bit of inside information.  The last place I'd share it would be on here.  Never worth the aggro.

6 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

1398506201374.gif

On 11/2/2017 at 07:48, Vincent Vega said:

@TETBURY MASSIVE doesn't post too often, but is usually accurate about in-house matters - especially, for some reason, when it concerns medicals.

Is she perhaps a nurse ? :whistle:

Archived