IGNORED

Brentford waking up.

pillred

that 98th min equaliser looking an even better result considering they completely outplayed us, couldn't understand why they were doing so badly but that win tonight means they are 8 games unbeaten, looks like with villa we have another two rivals for promotion.

Are they still owned by that former City Trader, who reckons that you can reduce success in running a football club down to some mathematical equations? And does he still own a top tier team in Denmark?

One thing that has been noticeable overall the past few years is the success of their recruitment of young players from Europe, particularly Spain. Just seem to have lacked a goal scorer since selling Scott Hogan to Villa. Surprised that they didn't pick up Saiz who went to Leeds in the summer. Brentford really would be a huge threat to any team in the division with him up front.

18 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Are they still owned by that former City Trader, who reckons that you can reduce success in running a football club down to some mathematical equations? And does he still own a top tier team in Denmark?

One thing that has been noticeable overall the past few years is the success of their recruitment of young players from Europe, particularly Spain. Just seem to have lacked a goal scorer since selling Scott Hogan to Villa. Surprised that they didn't pick up Saiz who went to Leeds in the summer. Brentford really would be a huge threat to any team in the division with him up front.

Scoring goals hasn't been their problem, they have only scored 2 less than us but only got into a positive goal difference last night.

They are absolutely creaming themselves on their forum.

http://www.griffinpark.org/forums/showthread.php?t=128093

But the reality is they have a below par defence that will probably stop them challenging this season.

As one of them said 'we outclassed Bristol City and they are 4th'. Maybe they did but our defence stood firm and they gave us numerous chances to equalise before we finally did.

1 minute ago, OldlandReddies said:

Yep, best team weve played this season. Ripped us to pieces, made us look a poor side. Sad for their fans that they cant hold onto their best players. Jota, the best player on the night, went to Brum, what a mistake !

Their model is ruthless about that. They will actively seek to sell players at the peak of their value - it's similar to our selling model except they stick to it absolutely.

Good side and obviously were in a false position. Was disappointed at the time that they got Rico Henry and David Bentley over us.

1 minute ago, OldlandReddies said:

And 6 million man Jota having a tough time there, hardly had a kick before last nights game and then having a stinker and subbed.

Cotterill has got his work cut out there I think. I actually thought Birmingham had a relatively decent squad on paper, but perhaps the rot there goes deeper.

14 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Yep, best team weve played this season. Ripped us to pieces, made us look a poor side. Sad for their fans that they cant hold onto their best players. Jota, the best player on the night, went to Brum, what a mistake !

Well if Harry had got his way we would have had a couple making the same mistake too. 

14 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Cotterill has got his work cut out there I think. I actually thought Birmingham had a relatively decent squad on paper, but perhaps the rot there goes deeper.

B’ham are a shocking team, they are lucky there are 3 teams worse than them though I can see, that with the right manager Sunderland will climb the table

I said they would...got shot down in flames for it.

However, the stats were showing they were creating the most chances in the league and having the most shots. The defence wasn't that bad either.

Those same stats were showing Ipswich were massively over achieving whilst in the play off position, and that they would fall away.

Seems those stats are spot on.

Interesting about Brentford and how they run, they've also dumped their Academy and run a 'B' team only. A simple description of how it works can be seen here.https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4540830/academy-brentford-young-players/

I thought that Brentford were very good when we played them and would've been exciting to watch if it weren't for them playing City. We clearly never really got going that day in what was one of the worst performances of the season but still managed to get a point from it. I can see them steamrolling quite a few sides this season but they are clearly quite exposed at the back. 

6 hours ago, pillred said:

that 98th min equaliser looking an even better result considering they completely outplayed us, couldn't understand why they were doing so badly but that win tonight means they are 8 games unbeaten, looks like with villa we have another two rivals for promotion.

They battered us at their place but have lost 3 of those players since. Jota should have stayed there! Ollie Watkins looking like one who may have got away in the summer. 

18 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

They battered us at their place but have lost 3 of those players since. Jota should have stayed there! Ollie Watkins looking like one who may have got away in the summer. 

I think Brentford are quite an attractive opposition for players. London based, no real danger of getting relegated.. would be an easy sell for an agent to a young player like Watkins or Henry 

"stay here a year or two and put yourself in the show window because every player there basically has an asking price that will be accepted - perform your best and you'll get bought by a bigger and better team. More money for both of us"

I can see why lots of highly rated youngsters choose to go there based on that.

35 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Ollie Watkins signing for city might have meant no bobby Reid up front? 

15 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

It's a shame really as Jota is a very good player, and is now completely wasted at Brum. Sort of player I'd like us to sign in Jan.

His own fault really for letting his wallet decide his next career move. Could have seen him getting a decent Prem move if he’d have stayed at Brentford this season. 

Flinty must be breathing a sigh of relief. 

3 hours ago, spudski said:

However, the stats were showing they were creating the most chances in the league and having the most shots. The defence wasn't that bad either.

Those same stats were showing Ipswich were massively over achieving whilst in the play off position, and that they would fall away.

Interesting about Brentford and how they run, they've also dumped their Academy and run a 'B' team only. A simple description of how it works can be seen here.https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4540830/academy-brentford-young-players/

The best news is that those same stats showed that we are in fact largely deserving of our place in the top 6. We aren't riding our luck, nor are we notably underperforming.  Our games are entertaining as we seem to allow almost as many shots as we take.  However, we have been notably clinical in turning those shots into goals. 

It seems that if we can maintain that crucial cutting edge, supported by effective midfield control and supply and backed up by a passable defence, then we should be able to maintain our points per game return and thus remain near the top of the pile.

Edit: I just quickly ran the numbers to see how we've fared in front of goal over the past five matches (excluding Palace). In that time (according to BBC Sport) we took 67 shots on goal and scored 7 times (obviously this included two matches in which we did not score - Burton and Leeds).  This gives a ratio of 1 goal for every 10 shots (it's actually 9.6 shots but lets round up as you can't have a decimal shot!).  Prior to that we were going at 1:8 up until the Norwich match. 

Basically yes, we have maintained a consistent shots to goals ratio over the opening 15 matches.  If we can take 10 or more shots in a game then we can reasonably expect to score in every match - so making it pretty hard to lose.

PS including Palace (6 shots, 4 goals) would massively skew these stats and make us look far better than we probably are!

4 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

As one of them said 'we outclassed Bristol City and they are 4th'. Maybe they did but our defence stood firm and they gave us numerous chances to equalise before we finally did.

No maybe about it. They completely and utterly outplayed us. Luckily we're made of stern stuff this year, so still managed to get a point from by far our worst performance this year.

6 hours ago, spudski said:

Me and you both... said they'd end up top 6. I think it was you had the convo with on the thread!

Archived