IGNORED

Patrice Evra

alexukhc

• Admin

IMG_20171102_212338.jpg

Former Manchester United player Patrice Evra was at the centre of a vicious bust up with his own fans before a European match.

In shocking footage, Marseille players appear to clash with their own supports ahead of a Europa match at Vitoria Guimaraes in Portugal.

After reportedly taking abuse from his own fans for 30 minutes before the game even kicked off, things came to a head after the warm up.

Players went over to the fans - who had also lit flares at the game - and while the were confronting each other a video shows the angry full-back run over to the section of supporters and aim a karate kick at one of them.

A close up pictures shows Evra aim the high kick at a supporter - in a scene much like the famous incident where fellow Frenchman Eric Cantona attacked a Crystal Palace.

Evra was then immediately sent off before the game even began. As he was one of the substitutes the French side's boss Rudi Garcia only has six on the bench for the match.

20171102_212546.png

14 minutes ago, Olé said:

Vitoria (Guimaraes) fans are some of the most passionate and committed in Portugal. It's a tough place to go. But sounds like this was Marseilles fans dishing it out to their own player. :noexp:

Yeah his own fans, weird one 

• Admin

How it happened

• Named as a substitute, Evra begins warming up with his team-mates before the game
  • The former Manchester United left-back appears to be the target of songs and abuse from the crowd for about 30 minutes
  • Evra approaches the Marseille fans, about 500 of whom had travelled to Guimaraes
  • He volleys a ball towards the crowd, but some of his team-mates come over and look to calm the defender down
  • Evra climbs over the billboards and looks to confront spectators who have come towards the front of the stand
  • The 36-year-old returns to the pitch, but a group of fans approach the billboards and Evra appears to kick one of them
  • Evra is led away to the substitutes' bench, but is sent off by the referee and watches the game from the stands

Fair play to him.

Much more preferable to the "we go again" "the atmosphere was amazing" stuff mindlessly churned out on social media by so many players these days.

It says to me that he cares and if his own fans think they can insult him and his family, maybe not quite like this, but why shouldn't he react?

As for being a "cock", in what way? He has won pretty much everything in the game, I love the fact he is still that bothered..

20 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Fair play to him.

Much more preferable to the "we go again" "the atmosphere was amazing" stuff mindlessly churned out on social media by so many players these days.

It says to me that he cares and if his own fans think they can insult him and his family, maybe not quite like this, but why shouldn't he react?

As for being a "cock", in what way? He has won pretty much everything in the game, I love the fact he is still that bothered..

yes a great way to end his career.

It's always a tricky one as we don't know the context of what was said. Completely unacceptable and disgusting. However, the extent that some fans go to to abuse players can be disgusting.

I remember a couple of players writing in their autobiographies about how they completely related to Cantona after his similar incident. 

I also remember Drogba once getting banned for showing the finger to fans after he'd been pelted with coins. They're role models, yes, but crowds can get out of control and need to be held accountable for their actions too. It's not all one way. 

It's one of the reasons that I have no problem at all with the strict policy for fans running on the pitch. 

28 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Fair play to him.

Maybe I'm being whooshed here but you appear to be condoning what is basically a violent assault? 

Perhaps I have misunderstood your post.

• Admin
20 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

I also remember Drogba once getting banned for showing the finger to fans after he'd been pelted with coins. They're role models, yes, but crowds can get out of control and need to be held accountable for their actions too. It's not all one way. 

It's one of the reasons that I have no problem at all with the strict policy for fans running on the pitch. 

Kind of agree with you, but never understand if the fan has that big an issue with a player, and that player comes over to them and kicks off - surely that is the perfect time to slap the player back (if they hate him so much)

Actually typing this I know the answer why most wouldn't

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

Kind of agree with you, but never understand if the fan has that big an issue with a player, and that player comes over to them and kicks off - surely that is the perfect time to slap the player back (if they hate him so much)

Actually typing this I know the answer why most wouldn't

I'd guess most are shocked that the player interacted with them at all. 

We all know Evra's had to put up with a lot from fans and players alike. Excuses none of what he did, but an explanation maybe.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Fair play to him.

Agree mate. We don't know what was said of course but assuming it was something vile about him or his family (most probably the case) then the fan cant really have many complaints can he. Imagine going onto a building site or into an office with ammunition about somebodys family and hurling abuse at them, your going to expect a slap aren't you? Why is this any different. This is Evra's place of work believe it or not..

The social media thing is the way sport is going though. Not enough characters left in sport anymore, most are just happy to say the right things and not rock the boat to keep the sponsors happy and the ££££££££ rolling in..

Just read that Evra has been suspended by Marseilles for kicking one of their fans.

The FA have given the Marseilles fan a lifetime ban for being kicked by Evra! :) 

Archived