IGNORED

LJ v Warnock

old_eastender

LJ has enjoyed many plaudits so far this season for getting it right tactically (and deservedly so), aside from the odd blip (like Leeds at home) he does seem to have improved in that area a lot.

Last season, at the height of our good start, he was well outsmarted by the wily fox Warnock as we lost 2-1 at Cardiff. Then found badly wanting in terms of game management when we twice lead at home only to conspire to lose 2-3, handing Cardiff a painful double over us.

With Cardiff looking to a have a similar strength side to us, tomorrow brings the opportunity for LJ to show his ingenuity can be more than a match for Warnock's experience.

Let's hope LJ can deliver us the 3 pts  :fingerscrossed:

35 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

LJ has enjoyed many plaudits so far this season for getting it right tactically (and deservedly so), aside from the odd blip (like Leeds at home) he does seem to have improved in that area a lot.

Last season, at the height of our good start, he was well outsmarted by the wily fox Warnock as we lost 2-1 at Cardiff. Then found badly wanting in terms of game management when we twice lead at home only to conspire to lose 2-3, handing Cardiff a painful double over us.

With Cardiff looking to a have a similar strength side to us, tomorrow brings the opportunity for LJ to show his ingenuity can be more than a match for Warnock's experience.

Let's hope LJ can deliver us the 3 pts  :fingerscrossed:

I guess your post is complimentary really.. but it’s funny how you write as if LJ is entirely responsible personally for the result tomorrow.. but no mention of the players or anyone else.

LJ soon realised after the defeat at Cardiff that he'd been outsmarted by Colin as a couple of games later (defeats) he said in an interview that teams had worked out how to play against us and that he needed to find a different way of playing. 

It took several more games before he eventually got the team playing differently.

He undoubtedly learned from that and we've seen so far this season what a different game City are playing and I'd be very surprised and disappointed if Colin  outsmarts him again tomorrow.

The loss at AG after throwing away a two nil lead was down to poor game management and that's and area where City have developed tremendously as we saw at Sunderland and Flum recently.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJ soon realised after the defeat at Cardiff that he'd been outsmarted by Colin as a couple of games later (defeats) he said in an interview that teams had worked out how to play against us and that he needed to find a different way of playing. 

It took several more games before he eventually got the team playing differently.

He undoubtedly learned from that and we've seen so far this season what a different game City are playing and I'd be very surprised and disappointed if Colin  outsmarts him again tomorrow.

The loss at AG after throwing away a two nil lead was down to poor game management and that's and area where City have developed tremendously as we saw at Sunderland and Flum recently.

Added to that, we have shown that we have the capacity to mix and match our style in different games and at different stages within a game, so we should be much harder to read.

Warnock has been playing the mind games all week saying his team are underdogs and how he’ll get a warm reception. I read also how he said he’s not sure whether a couple of our players will be out of the game (presumably Pisano and Baker). I truly think LJs selection midweek confused Warnock (is it did most fans) and he now really hasn’t got a clue how we are going to line up. I’m sure cardiff would have watched the Leeds game and will be looking to emulate what they did to us. LJ certainly knows how to mix things up now.

5 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

Warnock has been playing the mind games all week saying his team are underdogs and how he’ll get a warm reception. I read also how he said he’s not sure whether a couple of our players will be out of the game (presumably Pisano and Baker). I truly think LJs selection midweek confused Warnock (is it did most fans) and he now really hasn’t got a clue how we are going to line up. I’m sure cardiff would have watched the Leeds game and will be looking to emulate what they did to us. LJ certainly knows how to mix things up now.

Indeed and that what's Colin does. We've all seen and heard it before but he still carries on doing it!

It won't have been lost on him that Leeds beat us by getting out the blocks much quicker than City did  and we were 0-2 down before we knew it. I can't see that happening again.

We'll see the usual antics from a Colin team. Milking every injury, disrupting the flow of the game, time wasting.....

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Indeed and that what's Colin does. We've all seen and heard it before but he still carries on doing it!

It won't have been lost on him that Leeds beat us by getting out the blocks much quicker than City did  and we were 0-2 down before we knew it. I can't see that happening again.

We'll see the usual antics from a Colin team. Milking every injury, disrupting the flow of the game, time wasting.....

Those antics are exactly the reasons why I hate playing a Warnock team - to me it's cheating and he is the master of it.

We need a solid start and get the first goal because if they score first  everyone of those ploys will be used to their fullest extent.

A strong ref would we an advantage as well but Colin has already started putting the pressure on him too.....

I remember thinking the same after every defeat during last year's losing run.................

I do think we are a different proposition this season though, but in recent years they do seem to be one of those teams we expect to get nothing when we play them. 

Getting out of the black quickly will be so important and since the international break we seem to have lost that, compared to earlier in the season, so hopefully LJ will have them fired up and ready to go from kick off.

Did we have a 2-0 lead against Cardiff?

1 hour ago, Edge1981 said:

Lee always knew how to 'mix'-aka "Tombola"!.........now he does so to our strengths,not so much to counter opponents.

9 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I remember thinking the same after every defeat during last year's losing run.................

I do think we are a different proposition this season though, but in recent years they do seem to be one of those teams we expect to get nothing when we play them. 

Getting out of the black quickly will be so important and since the international break we seem to have lost that, compared to earlier in the season, so hopefully LJ will have them fired up and ready to go from kick off.

"Stay out of the black & into the red"...

1 hour ago, Edge1981 said:

I think you’re over-thinking the selection on Tuesday in relation to tomorrow’s game.  LJ knows that Fulham knock it around very well (in fact we know that too!), so played a very mobile side and forwards who’d drop back into midfield to overload the area.  The highlights show good examples of Reid dropping in and around Cairney, not necessarily to tackle him, but to stop him getting the ball.

Do I think Warnock now think that’s the way we will play tomorrow?  No.  He’ll know we’ll need to counter their physicality, the constant turning of our back four by chipping balls into the channels to allow them to squeeze up behind the ball.  So, he’ll be expecting Djúric to start, unlike Tuesday.  He’ll expect us to play a little bit more direct to counter.  In fact I see Reid having to run a lot of channels tomorrow.  Of course if we can get that lead and ascendency, then we might be able to impose our more natural style on the game.

Rule 1 - don’t go one-nil Down to a Warnock team - they’ll suck the minutes away and it becomes so frustrating for fans and players alike.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think you’re over-thinking the selection on Tuesday in relation to tomorrow’s game.  LJ knows that Fulham knock it around very well (in fact we know that too!), so played a very mobile side and forwards who’d drop back into midfield to overload the area.  The highlights show good examples of Reid dropping in and around Cairney, not necessarily to tackle him, but to stop him getting the ball.

Do I think Warnock now think that’s the way we will play tomorrow?  No.  He’ll know we’ll need to counter their physicality, the constant turning of our back four by chipping balls into the channels to allow them to squeeze up behind the ball.  So, he’ll be expecting Djúric to start, unlike Tuesday.  He’ll expect us to play a little bit more direct to counter.  In fact I see Reid having to run a lot of channels tomorrow.  Of course if we can get that lead and ascendency, then we might be able to impose our more natural style on the game.

Rule 1 - don’t go one-nil Down to a Warnock team - they’ll suck the minutes away and it becomes so frustrating for fans and players alike.

Hmm...

Yes, that seems like a good rule for ALL matches regardless of opposition.

'Lads, my tactics for today - Score a few, and don't concede any.'

Afraid football doesn't work like that.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think you're over-thinking the selection on Tuesday in relation to tomorrow’s game.  LJ knows that Fulham knock it around very well (in fact we know that too!), so played a very mobile side and forwards who’d drop back into midfield to overload the area.  The highlights show good examples of Reid dropping in and around Cairney, not necessarily to tackle him, but to stop him getting the ball.

Do I think Warnock now think that’s the way we will play tomorrow?  No.  He’ll know we’ll need to counter their physicality, the constant turning of our back four by chipping balls into the channels to allow them to squeeze up behind the ball.  So, he’ll be expecting Djúric to start, unlike Tuesday.  He’ll expect us to play a little bit more direct to counter.  In fact I see Reid having to run a lot of channels tomorrow.  Of course if we can get that lead and ascendency, then we might be able to impose our more natural style on the game.

I see what you're thinking, Dave: DaveFevs is trying to think what Warnock thinks LJ is thinking about tomorrow. Well, if anyone can get to the bottom of that, it will be one of our more thoughtful posters on here. That's what I think. 

7 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Hmm...

Yes, that seems like a good rule for ALL matches regardless of opposition.

'Lads, my tactics for today - Score a few, and don't concede any.'

Afraid football doesn't work like that.

Come on, you know what he means. If Cardiff score warnock will initiate his usual tactics and foul, waste time, make sure the game doesn't flow etc. 

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep agree - i'd be astonished if we play the same formation as Tuesday.

It'll be similar to the Palace game where LJ picked a team of 'men' as he put it - direct runners and our stronger/aggressive players in my opinion.

I wouldn't be that surprised to see Paterson on the bench - perhaps with Smith and Pack in the centre with Brownhill and O'Dowda on the wings. Plenty of height and industry there. It's not a game for a player struggling for fitness, especially someone who's not naturally the strongest.

I'm sure Djuric will start with Reid. I think Taylor will get minutes too, especially if we go behind.

Shame Pisano and Baker are injured - we really need their experience, aggression and strength tomorrow. Pisano dependent on his scan yesterday according to LJ, was unclear on Baker too but very reluctant to say too much. I think he might risk Baker if he's not too bad.

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

"Stay out of the black & into the red"...

Predictive typing Bob- should of course have read " getting  out of the blocks quickly....."

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Last paragraph should have read "getting out of the blocks quickly............"

Predictive typing again!

I'm sure that there are some managers, in some games who might instruct a team to get out there and wind 'em up and roll about from the first minute, with the added aspiration of "Let's have 'em down to 10 men before the half time whistle, or 9 would be better".

Probably never crossed Mr. Warnocks mind, though.

I just hope our lads can avoid getting drawn in by............................ 'antics'.  Time to stay on the moral high ground if at all possible.

Colin is king of the cnuts.

I would expect them to play three up top to press us early therefore I don't expect Tomlin to start.

Has Colin mentioned yet that he's played Lee's Dad and that he's got a lot to learn, that he's the underdog, he loves it at Ashton Gate, Ref had a mare etc.etc. . . .

25 minutes ago, jackofromrugby said:

It shows on my phone as "blokes".  What's all that about.....???????

Now Im really confused.

I can understand predictive typing changing blocks into black when Robert The Bruce read it, but how the heck does it change it to blokes when you read it?

Modern technology - is it all that?

Perhaps i need an upgrade on my Commodore C64?

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

The biggest change was LJ learned that tinkering with his starting XI and formation almost every game was having a massively adverse effect. He didn't fully learn this for several weeks after the Cardiff game though.

Once we had a settled XI, results changed for the better. This season, changes have tended to be enforced due to injury. 

Plus, players in their second year have got a lot better: COD, Brownhill, for example.

Archived