IGNORED

IMPORTANT - South Stand Display vs Cardiff

James

6 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Some of them trying to be objective?

Just because someone doesn't agree with you mrs fogg?

For the record I wouldn't have stopped the display , I just think that both S82 and the club could have been more open with each other about the display. 

What are you talking about? Some people disagree or take a different view - you basically and that Welsh guy a few pages back - and a couple of others have tried to see it from the club’s point of view but don’t necessarily agree with their stance (such as @Mr Popodopolous).

Clearly though, and especially for OTIB, there’s a huge majority swell of feeling behind S82 after the incident this weekend. 

It’s also ‘Mr’ Fogg please Spoons. I thought we’d clarified this before.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What are you talking about? Some people disagree or take a different view - you basically and that Welsh guy a few pages back - and a couple of others have tried to see it from the club’s point of view but don’t necessarily agree with their stance (such as @Mr Popodopolous).

Clearly though, and especially for OTIB, there’s a huge majority swell of feeling behind S82 after the incident this weekend. 

It’s also ‘Mr’ Fogg please Spoons. I thought we’d clarified this before.

I thought we clarified you were mrs fogg? My bad Mr fogg! 

I think the only response from the club on the matter is the statement to the bristol post?

Also @Harry has now said he's not commentating on it anymore.

Maybe just let S82 and the club have a meeting to sort it out. 

Not sure we need to be washing dirty laundry in public ! 

I think the only response from the club on the matter is the statement to the bristol post?

That's not good enough really. We have Mark and Adam, our SLO, as active members on here. Even Dave Storr has an account. There should be dialogue about the issue with club officials on here as that's mainly where the discussion is taking place. Radio silence achieves nothing and just alienates the club from the fans involved. Nothing on Twitter either. 

Also @Harry has now said he's not commentating on it anymore.

Maybe just let S82 and the club have a meeting to sort it out. 

Not sure we need to be washing dirty laundry in public ! 

Well great if they can have a meeting about it I hope it'll be productive. The important thing with this thread is to raise awareness because people need to know the facts and what happened. The 'stakeholders' here if you like aren't just S82. Other people donated from elsewhere in the ground, the display was for the south stand. This action has been taken against our fanbase - not just S82.

Whilst the club don't comment, Bristol Post aside, this issue will fester and won't go away. The questions about police in that section also need to be answered. Suspicions about the club wanting to erode S82 don't seem that unrealistic at present.

6 minutes ago, Club and Country said:

Quite staggering the club has yet to comment

clearly  get your story straight situation going on from them.

They went to the press quick enough.

@Mkelly has read this thread, he was online reading it 20 mins ago, and has responded to the Q&A.

Very surprised by the lack of communication. Do they not learn lessions from @Dollymaries favourite person, Ms Knight?

Dear all

The statement in the Bristol Post was an official response to a question from the BP,  it does however, set the background to the events.    I will stress however, that the decision is not based on the flag but the context in what was presented at the time.   If as before, Ashton Gate were made aware of the theme of the display we would have had more time to consider, discuss and untimely make a decision with S82 and avoid any waste of time or money. 

It is the duty of myself,  who is the main safety certificate holder to make a judgement based on advice on risk aversion.  We had 20k fans in the stadium on Saturday, the game was identified as a high risk game.  There are many decisions made on a game to game basis that totally go under the radar, this one clearly was not going to and the operations team and myself have to accept it.   The decision was also not made in isolation, the police, the EFL and the safety officer from Cardiff were all consulted on Friday evening and agreed it to be the right decision. 

The risk of me having further dialogue on this topic in this forum is that sentiment is high and clearly opinions are strong.    For this reason, I don't see any benefit in getting into further debate on this forum.  I have read the comments.

Going forward,  I am and have been in contact with members of S82 and will be meeting soon to thrash out how both sides can move on from this.  To date, we have worked closely with S82 in enhancing this corner and the appetite remains to do this in a safe manner.   

I have no problem in organising a meeting through the Supporters Club and Trust @Blagdon red where myself and my team can explain the mitigation that stadiums have to plan risk aversion and at the same time, how stadiums can be accountable.   I also have no problem in illustrating how this particular decision came about.   I will ask the SC&T to arrange this if felt it would be helpful.

Mark  

6 minutes ago, Mkelly said:

Dear all

The statement in the Bristol Post was an official response to a question from the BP,  it does however, set the background to the events.    I will stress however, that the decision is not based on the flag but the context in what was presented at the time.   If as before, Ashton Gate were made aware of the theme of the display we would have had more time to consider, discuss and untimely make a decision with S82 and avoid any waste of time or money. 

It is the duty of myself,  who is the main safety certificate holder to make a judgement based on advice on risk aversion.  We had 20k fans in the stadium on Saturday, the game was identified as a high risk game.  There are many decisions made on a game to game basis that totally go under the radar, this one clearly was not going to and the operations team and myself have to accept it.   The decision was also not made in isolation, the police, the EFL and the safety officer from Cardiff were all consulted on Friday evening and agreed it to be the right decision. 

The risk of me having further dialogue on this topic in this forum is that sentiment is high and clearly opinions are strong.    For this reason, I don't see any benefit in getting into further debate on this forum.  I have read the comments.

Going forward,  I am and have been in contact with members of S82 and will be meeting soon to thrash out how both sides can move on from this.  To date, we have worked closely with S82 in enhancing this corner and the appetite remains to do this in a safe manner.   

I have no problem in organising a meeting through the Supporters Club and Trust @Blagdon red where myself and my team can explain the mitigation that stadiums have to plan risk aversion and at the same time, how stadiums can be accountable.   I also have no problem in illustrating how this particular decision came about.   I will ask the SC&T to arrange this if felt it would be helpful.

Mark  

Well done Mark. Finally. You can tell everyone is pretty annoyed and there is a growing suspicion you that the Club does not want a noisy, boisterous support to make Ashton Gate a fortress and a place to enjoy visiting. You represent the club in these matters so I am glad you are prepared to fully communicate and take questions from all the fans. We realise the modern football ground in heavily regulated but we want a club that finds a reasons to support actions that make our support noisy and colourful not try and find reasons to shut this behaviour down a the slightest hint of controversy. Until we fully hear your view I think the majority view is that your approach the issue in the more negative way.

5 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

Well done Mark. Finally. You can tell everyone is pretty annoyed and there is a growing suspicion you that the Club does not want a noisy, boisterous support to make Ashton Gate a fortress and a place to enjoy visiting. You represent the club in these matters so I am glad you are prepared to fully communicate and take questions from all the fans. We realise the modern football ground in heavily regulated but we want a club that finds a reasons to support actions that make our support noisy and colourful not try and find reasons to shut this behaviour down a the slightest hint of controversy. Until we fully hear your view I think the majority view is that your approach the issue in the more negative way.

I'm in the minority!

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Thanks for finally responding Mark, it is appreciated. I hope that the dialogue with S82 goes well and agreement can be reached going forward.

Just one point though, Julie H from A & S police did confirm on this thread that the decision on the display had nothing to do with them and that it was a club decision. 

If you read Mark's reply they agreed with BCFC's decision - which is different from making it!!!!

2 minutes ago, King Carrot said:

Should the St George flag actually be antagonistic to Cardiff City (which I very much doubt) then may I be the first to kindly invite them to join there own Welsh league and give their place to an English team? I read that Hereford are on the up, maybe they could take Cardiff's place?

Seriously grow up

8 minutes ago, King Carrot said:

Should the St George flag actually be antagonistic to Cardiff City (which I very much doubt) then may I be the first to kindly invite them to join there own Welsh league and give their place to an English team? I read that Hereford are on the up, maybe they could take Cardiff's place?

If English is your first language may I kindly be the first to ask you to use it properly?

2 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Absolutely. There is no logical explanation for it whatsoever and Julie on here avoids the question when asked. I personally think they're absolutely desperate for something to kick off in S82 so that they have an excuse to bin off the whole "singing section". Then the entirety of Ashton Gate can become a family section. By absolutely loading the area with coppers and stewards this is undoubtedly their best chance of achieving that because as you say, it's intimidating and is bound to provoke something eventually. All it will take is for a fan celebrating a goal to accidentally nudge into a copper and the batons will be out.

edit: sp

Totally agree with this, only have to glance over and notice all the police/stewards there with near enough zero chance of trouble in that part of the ground, but half the amount of stewards covering over 3,000 away fans.

No need for it.

2 hours ago, Pezo said:

I dont go in the EE or have any affiliation with S82 so I like to think im impartial in the debate. So from from my perspective as we have pictures on this thread of considerably more antagonistic displays by other clubs and also have pictures of stewards helping Cardiff fans put up Welsh flags the problem cant be national flags. As there have been so many people say they wouldn't have minded a st George's cross (on both sides), the increased policing in the EE and warning of confiscating st George's crosses I can only come to conclusion that the club is targeting S82 and the EE as something to be controlled rather than to be supported, it doesn't seem to be seen by the club as something that helps it achieve its goals of creating an atmosphere or certain people want to create a different kind of atmosphere.

From my perspective the type of atmosphere created by S82 is what got me hooked on football about 30 years ago and I have been a season ticket holder ever since, dont get me wrong it's good sport but the thing thats truely unique is the aggressive, energetic atmosphere. Im a bit past it now and have to expell far too much energy all week to do it at weekends but I would hate for kids today not to experiance that type of atmosphere and get hooked the same way I did due to the club wanting to sanitise and control everything.

Bang on mate. Bang ******* on. It's what got me hooked and all, there's nothing in the whole world like the unbridled passion you get from football. The club want a sanitised fanbase.

2 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I remember there being loads of problems about the giant St George flag also many years ago also. I'm starting to think there is someone within the club who detests the flag.

No problems. Only from the council who wanted a fire resistant flag to be fire retardant in a no smoking stand years after it was bought, used and approved by the club.

Archived