IGNORED

How would you spend £5m in January?

myol'man

1 hour ago, Chris said:

This, but we may look at a loan to cover Pisano.  

Midfielder wise, if only we could prise Bannan away from Wednesday, it could make the difference, but he’d be top £££.

Bannan would be a fantastic coup,he seems to be involved in most of Wednsdays goals.

If we are in same position in Jan as we are now and Wednsday are say mid table you never know,but i can see them improving and being around play offs themselves.

I'm actually fearing January. It could easily make or break our season.

With our current form, Clubs will come calling for our players.

I should imagine their will be interest in Flint, Bryan, Reid, Brownhill  and Odowda. No one knows what's in their contracts as a release clause.

Others in the squad will want regular football...Magners and Engval come to mind.

Then we have long term injuries to Pisano, Diediou and Hegeler.

We have other niggling injuries to certain players...Baker for one.

Then the 'Hamstring' problem...an injury/tweak and niggle that is becoming more prevalent with the high pressing game we play. Not just on match day, but also in training. Take into account the artificial type pitches and colder months coming...something to consider.

I expect we've done our due diligence and prepared to bring in certain players....all depending on how the dominos fall so to speak.

Right now, we need a RB, CM and Striker.

Oh....and we'll need to spend more than £5m

I would be contacting Brighton about the availability of Sam Baldock. Probably on loan, with Fammy being injured. 

He was exceptional for Brighton last year and has now been part of a dressing room to be promoted. If we're serious about giving it ago, that experience alone might prove worthwhile. 

Plus he's not playing for Brighton at the moment. 

Would love Vyner to step up and make the cut at this level. But if this doesn't happen in time for this year, then a RB too is needed. 

People mentioning CM a lot. But not sure it's a priority. We've got loads of options in there. And people saying we need a a creative midfielder. Well scoring goals isn't our problem? Plus you'll have to spend a lot of money in Jan to get a decent one, and that player will probably expect to come and start every week. But will they? When we have Smith, Pack, Brownhill who all fit the system we play very well. It's a rare breed to find a flair creative CM who will be willing to run balls out for 90mins like our boys do now.

Great win today,

Up the City X

Right back is a massive problem, today's selection shows clearly that Johnson doesn't trust Vyner in big games and Bailey isn't a long term option at right back. With Pisano potentially missing till March (and then how long it takes him to get up to speed), we need a first team quality player to replace him. A new creative midfielder would be nice as would another first team level striker but I feel priority number 1 is right back.

1 hour ago, 29AR said:

I think our war chest will be more than double that if we are in this position in January. 

A keeper. Fielding was so lackadaisical today it scared me. Flint was none to impressed with his antics and let him know.  

Frankie's replacement is already here, as for the rest saying RB and cover for injured players, all too negative. Have some balls and go for it. GJ was top at Christmas, poor January window led to play off defeat 

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Very good question,not sure you will get anyone for 5 million who will improve the squad in January so keep your hands in your pocket and not spunk money down the drain,maybe use the loan market well again 

This.. unless they have targets in Europe lined up then 5 million is getting you bugger all in this country really in January.. like you said try and utilise the loan market and not waste the dough

18 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Frankie's replacement is already here, as for the rest saying RB and cover for injured players, all too negative. Have some balls and go for it. GJ was top at Christmas, poor January window led to play off defeat 

How is saying RB negative and not having balls? A strong defence makes us hard to beat and reduces the amount we need to score. Bailey isn't a long term option at RB and Vyner (given he wasn't selected today) isn't trusted it seems. Pisano won't be back till March at least so we need a high quality option there. 

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Test Brentford's resolve with a big bid for Ryan Woods

Busy skilful player - Always impressed at Shrewsbury, suggested him when he was there , and every time  I see him for Brentford he runs the game

Just done the same to Leeds and capped it off with a goal

Was just about to post about Woods. He looked class tonight and did everything in midfield from switching play, coming deep to get the ball and just being busy. Not sure how much he'd cost but he'd be a great signing based on tonight

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Test Brentford's resolve with a big bid for Ryan Woods

Busy skilful player - Always impressed at Shrewsbury, suggested him when he was there , and every time  I see him for Brentford he runs the game

Just done the same to Leeds and capped it off with a goal

He was brilliant tonight...get the cheque book out Steve

Did darwika end up anywhere? Flanagan or Bardsley on loan would help too. Ashley Westwood at Burnley can't get a game but would be a good playmaker for us too. Same as will hughes hasn't played all year and a loan to a playoff team might be acceptable to Watford. Bakery sakho would be immense but unlikely. Dare I mention Baldock? Not played a minute so far.

5 minutes ago, WRERE said:

Was just about to post about Woods. He looked class tonight and did everything in midfield from switching play, coming deep to get the ball and just being busy. Not sure how much he'd cost but he'd be a great signing based on tonight

There's all sorts of players about but they need to fit into our 'Busy Bee' philosophy and he'd be perfect , creative too - and does plenty of work and challenges 

If the the club is serious about promotion, we need to spend £10 to £15 m minimum on an experienced Premiership creative midfielder.

Oh, and if any spare change, for the love of God, a goalkeeper that can distribute the ball.

Hunter and Cashley for me, please !!??

Midfield is an area we need more quality , and today showed we were a little light on numbers if people have to be moved to cover elsewhere.
I would say a quality CMF is important, I would also get a RB. Whether this is a young promising player or ready made Championship player I don't know , but with a long term injury there and not obvious cover it is a key position. 
Up front is difficult . FD and Duric are similar roles , they are the spearhead, Reid and Taylor can play off of a striker or as a 10. Leko can also play up top , although the last few outings have been uninspiring. Woodrow , and I may be being unfair, to me looks like a waste of a loan, not been impressed at all. Another thing about bringing in another striker , quality is (very) expensive and it would probably mean another punt and more settling in time .
I would imagine there is a list already so it will be interesting to see what actually happens. As I said elsewhere , if we're in the PO positions come January I think Steve Lansdown will back LJ again.

If we're still top 6 come Jan I expect we'd spend more than £5m.

If we're still there in January, we need to raise our expectations from 'Midtable and above would be nice' to 'we are serious playoff contenders' and that'll take a bit of spending.

I like our squad overall but if you're looking objectively at our squad - we need another right back, a top quality goal-scoring centre mid and probably another forward.

That won't come cheap, especially the midfielder, but if we're serious about promotion it might take a bit of cash to add quality to the squad.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Hegeler and possibly Magnússon leave in Jan which would mean another centre back would be required. 

As we have agreed not to buy players from the gas, we should lend £20k to Cheltenham to buy Bodin.

We need to try to secure Flint, Reid, Bryan, and if that takes a bit of cash it would be well used.

I actually like FF, and think he is a decent enough championship keeper, but if we want to be a Prem side we will need an upgrade.*

A creative CM with Prem experience would be handy too.

*or Frankie needs to spend a lot more time at training working on distribution 

Rather than buy cover at LB and RB I would give Zak and Lloyd a go.  I think they both have some potential, though not both at the same time..

A goal scorer would be nice, but a hard tackling midfielder would be good, though Korey is doing a pretty good job atm but we don't really havecover for him other than pack.

Our GK scares me to death I'm afraid.  Would be nice to have one who didnt try to dribble in his own area and could go for crosses.

Having some cash to splash would result in some difficult decisions.

7 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Not sure I agree with wanting a right back. We need Wright, Flint and Baker all playing, and in a back four. For me, if we had the chance... a big money goal scorer

Well we need one due to Pisano’s injury whether a loan or perm. LJ clearly doesn’t think Vyner is ready of he would’ve played today. You can bet that if Bryan and Magnússon were injured he’d play Kelly.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Well we need one due to Pisano’s injury whether a loan or perm. LJ clearly doesn’t think Vyner is ready of he would’ve played today. You can bet that if Bryan and Magnússon were injured he’d play Kelly.

You can always do with players in any position, and like you say... Pisano is injured but IS coming back. Loan maybe, yes.

Archived