IGNORED

How would you spend £5m in January?

myol'man

For me, let's not get carried away if we appear to be on the verge if something special by splashing out. 

Let's just continue the same long term approach and the right players will come along. I'd hate to think we might bring in a 'name' to get us over the line. 

6 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

For me, let's not get carried away if we appear to be on the verge if something special by splashing out. 

Let's just continue the same long term approach and the right players will come along. I'd hate to think we might bring in a 'name' to get us over the line. 

I’d like to see us pick up a young Prem player with something to prove.  A permie, though, rather than a Leko-type loan, or a loan with option to buy.  No idea who, but I look at what Huddersfield did with Mooy, and think someone of that calibre.

17 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If we're still top 6 come Jan I expect we'd spend more than £5m.

If we're still there in January, we need to raise our expectations from 'Midtable and above would be nice' to 'we are serious playoff contenders' and that'll take a bit of spending.

I like our squad overall but if you're looking objectively at our squad - we need another right back, a top quality goal-scoring centre mid and probably another forward.

That won't come cheap, especially the midfielder, but if we're serious about promotion it might take a bit of cash to add quality to the squad.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Hegeler and possibly Magnússon leave in Jan which would mean another centre back would be required. 

Great post exactly what we need

19 hours ago, myol'man said:

Assuming we are still in the top 6 on New Years Day and you had £5m to spend in the transfer window, how would you spend it? For me it would all go on one player, a top top class midfield playmaker. That could be the final piece in the jigsaw. COYR :chant6ez: 

sid we need a rb as pisanos out for a while central playmaker that goes forward  an a goalscoring top striker

4 minutes ago, nimrod said:

Does SL want the club to be promoted this season? Would it be too soon? Is the long-term plan to have a much stronger side before infiltrating the promised land? 

I believe that the answer is "yes it's a bit early" but I'm sure we wouldn't turn it down if it did turn out to be possible.

18 minutes ago, Clarky89 said:

Will Hughes hasn't really made an impact at Watford, unless he's injured? Just think a Smith and Hughes midfield would be unreal. 

From Watford Manager:-

"He improves and enjoys being here and tries to get in the squad every day. If you have everyone fit, it's hard to get in the squad, with Pereyra and [Nathaniel] Chalobah.

"But I'm happy with his behaviour and his work and if I decide he's ready; he's ready."

Read more at http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/watford-midfielder-will-hughes-progress-pleases-marco-silva/story-30539342-detail/story.html#T6VgVXwtarZFjuOX.99

4 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Did you just trouser a million? How very dare you.

No, just spent it behind the bar on my own - hence there mental arithmetic going to pot!

I just popped over to the Villa forum after reading about Lansbury's availability (good player) and they're not impressed with Hogan and want him sold for £4M even though they paid £12M (??) for him. When we played Brentford at our place a season or 2 ago (when Freeman was sent off), I thought Hogan gave a masterclass in how to play up front on his own, he was superb! It appears Villa keep hoofing long balls at him with little or no creative passing which is where he thrives. If we could get him for £4M and his wages weren't obscene, he's one player I would like to see us show interest in.

As for Lansbury, good though he is, he comes across as a bit of a diva as well as being injury prone, we don't want to risk the togetherness of the squad by bringing him in IMHO.

Archived