IGNORED

Maggers

wendyredredrobin

Not a great game for him today, didn't quite seem up to the pace.  At fault for their goal, made quite a few mistakes and fell over the ball a couple of times (once very badly).

Great long throw though always causes problems and a goal from one today.

You can see why he is not always in the team though with much better players ahead of him, but he's young and still improving andhope he will make the grade.  Seems like a nice lad too.

Seems a cracking lad but Hasn't improved or adapted IMHO since he arrived sadly

Looks like he's not suited to the physicality / intensity / Pace  of Championship and there aren't great signs that he's learning / adapting and he's not technical enough to offer something else

Might he time to find him a move for his sake - Can anyone seriously see him becoming a First Team regular here ?

Same with Hegeler for me

Decent enough players but not for the Championship in England

And it sounds harsh but taking two places / wages in squad , and could be improved on IMHO

I went to the Fulham game and sounds like today was a very similar performance. 

Struggled with the speed and intensity of the game. Made some silly mistakes giving the ball away too often in dangerous areas. Also went to ground to easy and was beaten on a couple of occasions with a very easy dummy cross/pass. 

Hope he improves as there appears to be potential but at the moment would not be in my top 3 CBs. 

2 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

He was awful in both first half of the games and slightly better in the 2nd. Overall not good enough at the moment. 

Yep.

Like him as a person but aside from his throw for the goal he contributed very little.

He is so lightweight, how he was outmuscled for their goal I have no idea.

If Baker had been 100% I reckon he would have been taken off.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Yep.

Like him as a person but aside from his throw for the goal he contributed very little.

He is so lightweight, how he was outmuscled for their goal I have no idea.

If Baker had been 100% I reckon he would have been taken off.

Agree - felt he improved a bit second half as he often seems to do but we can't have a passenger in the first 45 of games.

Obviously his long throws are dangerous but in general his distribution is poor - almost always over-hit and looks panicked in possession.

Needs a run of games to show his true worth but on his recent form it would be a risk. 

Probably a better CB than LB, doesn't have the agility for left back.

17 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Seems a cracking lad but Hasn't improved or adapted IMHO since he arrived sadly

Looks like he's not suited to the physicality / intensity / Pace  of Championship and there aren't great signs that he's learning / adapting and he's not technical enough to offer something else

Might he time to find him a move for his sake - Can anyone seriously see him becoming a First Team regular here ?

Same with Hegeler for me

Decent enough players but not for the Championship in England

I think the same and actually they may be both suited better to the Premier League than the Championship. Could see them playing for Swansea or Bournmouth.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agree - felt he improved a bit second half as he often seems to do but we can't have a passenger in the first 45 of games.

Obviously his long throws are dangerous but in general his distribution is poor - almost always over-hit and looks panicked in possession.

Needs a run of games to show his true worth but on his recent form it would be a risk. 

Probably a better CB than LB, doesn't have the agility for left back.

Left sided CH of a back 3 is the only way he would play regularly for us.

Hopefully people seeing what I said last year. He's not actually very good, but his twitter persona makes him a starter!!! 

When pretty much this whole forum were calling for him last year, I was a lone voice saying his distribution was poor, his desire to win a header was lacking and only his personality was convincing people to play him.  

I honestly wish him the best, and he's clearly a top bloke, but he's not championship quality. 

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Hopefully people seeing what I said last year. He's not actually very good, but his twitter persona makes him a starter!!! 

When pretty much this whole forum were calling for him last year, I was a lone voice saying his distribution was poor, his desire to win a header was lacking and only his personality was convincing people to play him.  

I honestly wish him the best, and he's clearly a top bloke, but he's not championship quality. 

You weren't alone Harry - never seen what many others seemed to see at the start

If I'm honest I think LJ recognised this and unless he improves quickly I think his chances here will have gone

I personally love the guy. He needs his confidence built up. He should get another game away to Sheffield Wednesday and a chance to perform more consistently. There’s a brilliant footballer there and I’m sure Lee and his team will drag it out of him. Brilliant throw in today. The crowd doing the Icelandic chant is superb. Come on Hodur play your top game. 

1 minute ago, WECANDO said:

I personally love the guy. He needs his confidence built up. He should get another game away to Sheffield Wednesday and a chance to perform more consistently. There’s a brilliant footballer there and I’m sure Lee and his team will drag it out of him. Brilliant throw in today. The crowd doing the Icelandic chant is superb. Come on Hodur play your top game. 

Not trying to be antagonistic, but what have you seen over 18 months that convinces you "there's a brilliant footballer in there". 

I wouldn't sell him this season, all we need is for an injury to one of the main 3 centre backs and he's the first choice alternative. Come the summer I feel it could be a different story though. He's still of an age where we could get a decent fee for him and probably recoup most of what we paid for him should we decide to try moving him on. 

5 minutes ago, WECANDO said:

He needs to earn a place and when he gets a chance , to take it as others have done 

Hes failed to do so on a number of occasions now

Has he improved at all since he's been here ?

Even on building his strength / power ?

Long throws , nice lad and Icelandic Chants are sideshows

Whilst I understand where people are coming from, I think the lad just needs a run of games. He seems a confidence type player. Plus he wouldn't have thought he would have been playing today...thrown in with Wright suspended...and against Cardiff. Made some mistakes...

However...did anyone watch the movement in front of Mags when he received the ball? I felt for him. Whilst I love Bryan for what he does best, he's bloody murder for going hiding when he needs a rest.  He did it so many times today when Mags received the ball. Which resulted in either poor distribution as no option on, or a pass back.

Bryans a clever bugger...I'd be pissing in his ear if I were Mags.

Watch Bryan next time...nothing worst than moving behind an opposition player so as not to receive a pass.

However...in saying that. I'd love Kelly to be given a run of games in that position.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I was thinking today why do people say Magnússon is good on the ball? I reckon it's one of the things he is really not good at. His distribution is poor. He is a nervous wreck with the ball at this feet. And he often chooses the wrong pass, getting us into trouble. I really hope he either improves quickly or kelly is ready to step in as cover. 

He did look a nervous wreck....especially after his team mates gave him no option.

At one point he received the ball on the left flank, with one player to pass too, who had two opponents on him. Not one of our players moved for him to receive a pass.

This happened on numerous occasions.

Yes, he looked nervous, uncomfortable on the ball, but I said to a mate today, whilst watching....what options does he have? No wonder he got nervous. Glad he got speaking to Baker about it, it was obvious what he was talking about by his hand movements.

It got really bad, after Cardiff went down to 10 men....we stopped playing and lacked movement for a good 10 mins. We had another 25 mins to play, yet it looked like we were going to start taking it to the corner flag.

Yes Mags wasn't at his best, and I prefer Bryan and Kelly at LB, but some of our movement when he got the ball was dire.

Worth a mention....was Taylor playing in slow mo when he came on? Worst player on the pitch today for me.

He’s a centre back by trade. I don’t think he’s comfortable at left back and he’s very self aware of his lack of pace which could leave him and us exposed.  I felt when we played palace and he switched to centre back he was far stronger. It doesn’t help that we all get a bit nervous when he gets the ball and I include myself in this as well. In the first half he shinned/sliced a volley out of play and LJ was visibly trying to get him to relax/calm down. He’s a passionate city player and although I’m not convinced he has the desire to succeed.

I think if O’Dowda hadn’t have had such a storming first half on the right we’d have seen LJ sub Mags for Leko or Eliassson and drop Bryan to left back and O’Dowda switch to the left wing. 

Better in second half but still I thought his positioning was terrible and Bryan/Baker were having to cover up for him time and again. 

16 minutes ago, Beni71 said:

He’s a centre back by trade. I don’t think he’s comfortable at left back and he’s very self aware of his lack of pace which could leave him and us exposed.  I felt when we played palace and he switched to centre back he was far stronger. It doesn’t help that we all get a bit nervous when he gets the ball and I include myself in this as well. In the first half he shinned/sliced a volley out of play and LJ was visibly trying to get him to relax/calm down. He’s a passionate city player and although I’m not convinced he has the desire to succeed.

Since when has it been acceptable for a top half championship player to be nervous and slice simple balls out of play through panic. He's not a 17 year old debutant. Smacks of 'not good enough at this level' to me. 

Archived