IGNORED

Maggers

wendyredredrobin

7 minutes ago, Benni said:

I wouldn't necessarily do that but he would start as a centre back with Baker. 

You rate Magnússon above Flint and Wright? Can't agree there. In my opinion he's quite a way off their level albeit without regular games.

7 minutes ago, Benni said:

The Iceland defence is million times better than the Bristol City one and the key to that is simple: every player in the Icelandic team defends, starting from the striker. Players are always doubled up for assistance and you would not see a "defending" like Joe Bryan's for the goal yesterday - because Joe didn't do anything (he wasn't interested) Baker had two players to guard. You always have to expect a striker to go past your defender, hence you need to be ready to assist.

No, I specifically meant Iceland's back four. Which is superior? City's or Iceland's?

Out of interest, how often do you get to watch City games? I'm asking because i'm interested by your opinion that Wright and Flint are worse than Magnússon.

6 minutes ago, Benni said:

Fair enough. No need to shout though.

I wanted to stress my point. I have no problem with Hordour, think he has much to offer and is match rusty from not playing. However our other defenders have worked well together and have proved at the moment they are the ones that need to start when fit and available. Whether Hordour has the patience to be in the squad on these terms I don't know, I hope so. But at the moment he rightly doesn't automatically hold a first team shirt. 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I know, was curious to see whether he'd play Magnússon over Flint and Wright because to me (and probably most others) they're superior players.

That’s the reality - Hörður is about the fourth or fifth best defender at the club. 

I’d be interested to know whether Hörður sees himself primarily as a centre back or a full back. For me he’s a much better CB than LB but still a way behind Flint, Wright and Baker in that department. 

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I know, was curious to see whether he'd play Magnússon over Flint and Wright because to me (and probably most others) they're superior players.

Maybe one day you will realise that it isn't about superior players, it's about how teams play together, that's why Iceland beat England last year and would probably do so again. 

2 minutes ago, Benni said:

Maybe one day you will realise that it isn't about superior players, it's about how teams play together, that's why Iceland beat England last year and would probably do so again. 

So we’d play better as a team with Hörður instead of Flint? I’d be interested to hear the logic behind that. 

Iceland beat England because England are shit!

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

So we’d play better as a team with Hörður instead of Flint? I’d be interested to hear the logic behind that. 

I never said that, I only stressed the importance of teams playing together. 

Also, the bashing Hörður gets on here is pathetic. Joe Bryan's part in the goal yesterday was huge but he is a favourite on here so people ignore that. 

9 minutes ago, Benni said:

Also, the bashing Hörður gets on here is pathetic. Joe Bryan's part in the goal yesterday was huge but he is a favourite on here so people ignore that. 

You must not have been around here for much of last season when Joe was getting slated every week! 

Not sure Hörður gets a ‘bashing’, I think he’s generally popular amongst fans in all honesty - most just see him as behind Flint, Wright and Baker ability wise at CB, and behind Bryan at LB. 

Out of interest would Hörður describe himself as a centre back rather than a left back? Does he feel he’s as capable in one position as the other? For me he’s a better centre back than full back. 

Magnuson didn't have the best game but not surprising really. He's in/out the team( mostly out!) and also asked to play a couple of positions.

Hes a more than valuable member of the squad who can cover a few positions and has a long throw.

Not a starter for me but definatly a good option in the squad to cover injuries etc.

12 minutes ago, Benni said:

Oh believe me Joe has copped for a load too, but in the same way Hordour has. Frustrated as much for him as with him. We want him to do well, why wouldn't we, he is our player and a very popular one. He gets nothing but support, the Icelandic clap breaks out for every throw in or free kick. It's not a popularity contest anyway, just the best player for a particular position for a game. 

24 minutes ago, Benni said:

You didn't answer either question though.

I accept you're always going to have a natural bias. Thing is though, the percentage of our supporters that would drop Wright and Flint to play Magnússon is a real minority and rightly so.

Of course it's about a team ethic, and that's what we've got now. We have fierce competition for places in the defence.

Magnússon isn't being 'bashed'. We'd all love to see him succeed here, but at present he doesn't look as good as our other defensive options - that's the reality of the situation. I appreciate he's barely played and that should be considered - but we have some very good defenders at this level.

16 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

You must not have been around here for much of last season when Joe was getting slated every week! 

Not sure Hörður gets a ‘bashing’, I think he’s generally popular amongst fans in all honesty - most just see him as behind Flint, Wright and Baker ability wise at CB, and behind Bryan at LB. 

Out of interest would Hörður describe himself as a centre back rather than a left back? Does he feel he’s as capable in one position as the other? For me he’s a better centre back than full back. 

I know Joe was slated throughout last season and now it's Hörður who is the one who's slated. I know he's popular amongst fans generally but he surely gets a bashing on here. Both pathetic and painful to read. 

He sees himself as a centre back which I do also. That's his position, he isn't a wide player. 

8 minutes ago, RedM said:

Oh believe me Joe has copped for a load too, but in the same way Hordour has. Frustrated as much for him as with him. We want him to do well, why wouldn't we, he is our player and a very popular one. He gets nothing but support, the Icelandic clap breaks out for every throw in or free kick. It's not a popularity contest anyway, just the best player for a particular position for a game. 

You say he gets nothing but support but still you read what's going on here? There are people on here who want him to fail. 

3 minutes ago, Benni said:

You say he gets nothing but support but still you read what's going on here? There are people on here who want him to fail. 

Nobody wants any City player to fail, some people just don't believe that he had a good game yesterday ( and I'd agree with them)

1 minute ago, Benni said:

No one wants him to fail but he has been poor whenever he has featured generally. I personally don't think he cuts it but I think he will get more chances this season.

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You didn't answer either question though.

I accept you're always going to have a natural bias. Thing is though, the percentage of our supporters that would drop Wright and Flint to play Magnússon is a real minority and rightly so.

Of course it's about a team ethic, and that's what we've got now. We have fierce competition for places in the defence.

Magnússon isn't being 'bashed'. We'd all love to see him succeed here, but at present he doesn't look as good as our other defensive options - that's the reality of the situation. I appreciate he's barely played and that should be considered - but we have some very good defenders at this level.

The team has been excellent this season and with the performance of the defenders of course they aren't dropped. There is fierce competition for places in the defence and in the whole team which is of course what people want to see. Long may the team's excellent results continue, that's what we all want to see. 

I definitely do not agree with your statement that everyone on here wants him to succeed. There are people who don't want him to but that's how it is, there is always a "scapegoat" among fans.

Last season I was really annoyed that Hörður wasn't getting in the team. I felt that he was one of our most promising young signings. Personally I would have preferred him as LCB over Wright, who played there even though he is more comfortable on the right.

However, when we signed Baker I think that really changed my view. Flint and Baker are our strongest CB pairing. With Wright as cover I suspect LJ had to re-think Hörður's situation. He almost loaned him out. Then decided he was suddenly cover for LB. 

To me he is a CB and doesn't attack enough to play FB in our set up. I think, sadly, Hörður's talents are a bit wasted in our squad. LJ doesn't seem to trust him at CB so he won't get the game time there that he needs to get into the groove and build up his confidence.

I would want him to stay as he is a good player and if we get injuries he may yet get a chance to re-establish himself. However, if I was giving him career advice, I'd probably say he would be better moving back to Italy, or a similar league where they get more time on the ball to play a bit.

@Benni with respect, and I understand why, but you are being a bit over sensitive regarding comments you read in here. No player and I mean NO player gets 100% praise all season long. I could start a thread on any player, say Flint, Joe, Bobby or whoever you perceive as being a 'fans favourite' and they will all get criticised for some part of their game. 

Be proud of Houdour, he seems a very popular young man with intelligence and maturity. Just let him be patient and find his time. The Championship is a great league, but a very competitive one, to play in. Just be careful he doesnt give it up too soon as people certainly aren't giving up on him. Take the praise, and the critism and learn from both.

13 hours ago, Benni said:

I know Joe was slated throughout last season and now it's Hörður who is the one who's slated. I know he's popular amongst fans generally but he surely gets a bashing on here. Both pathetic and painful to read. 

He sees himself as a centre back which I do also. That's his position, he isn't a wide player. 

Not being funny, but if you can’t take people questioning his ability without being hurt then you really shouldn’t be reading a fans forum. You’re clearly the least impartial person here with regards to the topic at hand  

Absolute nonsense to say that people want him to fail. 

Flint, Baker and Wright are what I would regard as typical "British type" physical defenders. Pisano and Bryan are a similar type of players more than capable of putting a foot in and mixing it physically in the hurly burly of championship football.

Magnússon seems more of what used to called a "cultured" defender, usually meaning  player who is good on the ball but not at their best when it gets a bit tasty. 

I am sure he has the ability to be  a valuable part of the team, but perhaps he needs a decent run in the team to fully acclimatise to the speed and physicality of championship football, especially as he has come in to a settled defence and team that has been performing very well.

A local derby against Cardiff was never going to be the best or easiest game to finds feet.

14 hours ago, Benni said:

Certainly don't want him to fail, but looking objectively at his performance, he needs to improve. I'm sure he is aware of that too. All good professionals respond to constructive criticism.

he needs to work on his commitment in the tackle and his physicality because at the moment he looks weak. Joe Bryan was the same 2 seasons ago and he has improved this loads. The good news is he is still young and can build himself up as Joe did. 

He also needs to improve his decision making, on Saturday he appeared to be playing with fear, which is not good for a defender. He needs to do something about that and I'm sure both he and LJ are working on these things. 

I get more annoyed at criticism of marlon pack because that seems to be based on not understanding what he is on the field to do, namely prevent their creative mids from having a field day. Then finding a red shirt on the counter. He does this very well most matches, but gets very little credit and quite a lot of criticism. 

11 minutes ago, redfieldred said:

Certainly don't want him to fail, but looking objectively at his performance, he needs to improve. I'm sure he is aware of that too. All good professionals respond to constructive criticism.

he needs to work on his commitment in the tackle and his physicality because at the moment he looks weak. Joe Bryan was the same 2 seasons ago and he has improved this loads. The good news is he is still young and can build himself up as Joe did. 

He also needs to improve his decision making, on Saturday he appeared to be playing with fear, which is not good for a defender. He needs to do something about that and I'm sure both he and LJ are working on these things. 

I get more annoyed at criticism of marlon pack because that seems to be based on not understanding what he is on the field to do, namely prevent their creative mids from having a field day. Then finding a red shirt on the counter. He does this very well most matches, but gets very little credit and quite a lot of criticism. 

Re Pack.

He is one of those players that doesn't necessarily do anything flash or dramatic and as a result many fans see him as ineffectual, compared with players like Brownhill, Patterson or Joe Bryan. 

Perhaps he is our current Cole Skuse.

I just don’t get it when people refer to Magnússon as a “cultured” players who’s good at bringing the ball out. It seems some people are blinded by the fact he came from Juventus and maybe his slick blonde hair. He’s about as good on the ball as Liam Fontaine. 

On 04/11/2017 at 19:43, BobBobSuperBob said:

Seems a cracking lad but Hasn't improved or adapted IMHO since he arrived sadly

Looks like he's not suited to the physicality / intensity / Pace  of Championship and there aren't great signs that he's learning / adapting and he's not technical enough to offer something else

Might he time to find him a move for his sake - Can anyone seriously see him becoming a First Team regular here ?

Same with Hegeler for me

Decent enough players but not for the Championship in England

And it sounds harsh but taking two places / wages in squad , and could be improved on IMHO

Must admit I like him but not a left back. Was very poor and lightweight. Though his long throw is a weapon! Bryan and Paterson our best left sided partnership. 

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Re Pack.

He is one of those players that doesn't necessarily do anything flash or dramatic and as a result many fans see him as ineffectual, compared with players like Brownhill, Patterson or Joe Bryan. 

Perhaps he is our current Cole Skuse.

He did a tackle v Sunderland which turned their break into our break, and should have led to a flint goal, but flint had time to think, fatal. 

Archived