IGNORED

Is this team better than the 2008 play off team

Top Robin

Quite probably.

There is one other key crucial positive, difference too.

That side was peaking, coming to the end of a cycle (nearly a brilliant end but for Windass). It was fairly aging- maybe aging unfair but a fair bit of experience? Absolutely!

This side appears to be becoming, developing into what I hoped the 14-15 squad under Cotts might become.

A side with passing, quality, pace and most crucially of all, a future. It has a nice blend, a fair number of players low to mid 20s.

Those players especially have all this ability and STILL plenty room to grow, develop, improve. It's really great to see.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Quite probably.

There is one other key crucial positive, difference too.

That side was peaking, coming to the end of a cycle (nearly a brilliant end but for Windass). It was fairly aging- maybe aging unfair but a fair bit of experience? Absolutely!

This side appears to be becoming, developing into what I hoped the 14-15 squad under Cotts might become.

A side with passing, quality, pace and most crucially of all, a future. It has a nice blend, a fair number of players low to mid 20s.

Those players especially have all this ability and STILL plenty room to grow, develop, improve. It's really great to see.

Yeh, I think our current team would have soundly beaten that 2008 Hull side

11 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Twice the team. The standard in the championship has moved up at a scary pace since that 2008 team. That team would probably get relegated in a 2017/18 championship season. 

The current team can do all the 08 team could do plus a lot more. But I can't agree the latter would get relegated - the rock solid team spirit,  Commitment right until the end ( how many late goals?) and excellent defence would have meant they'd be nowhere near, IMHO.

I think by some considerable distance. As good as that team was, we had some pretty brutal defeats - 0-3 at Barnsley, 0-6 at Ipswich. Our goal difference was barely positive.

Weird that we limped over the promotion line in 06/07 only to set the higher league alight the following year. Very good promotion sides in 1998 and 2015 yet we were shocking in the second tier both following seasons.

16 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Twice the team. The standard in the championship has moved up at a scary pace since that 2008 team. That team would probably get relegated in a 2017/18 championship season. 

Bit disrespectful IMHO

We had some wily players with big hearts and were an efficient unit and difficult to beat

Someone like McIndoe or Marv , Bradley Orr would all fit in perfectly and enhance this squad / side

Speaking of comparisons with that season, I recall we beat Cardiff 1-0 just before Xmas when we were really in the groove and people on here were expressing disappointment about the size of the crowd that day too. It was approx. 15k if memory serves.

They might well be but if there are still 4 teams better than us this season the result will be the same. So the comparison is kind of irrelevant. 

We'll find out after 46 games, or 48, or 49. 

I think an imaginary game between that team and this team would be worth the entrance fee and I would expect this year's vintage to come out on top, being slightly better man-for-man imo. After all, if wee Lee is in our dugout along with Jamie Mac, the 2008 team are playing with only 9 men!

Or put it another way - how many of the 2008 team would get in this year's side??

Basso. How many others? 

Elliott? Noble? Orr? Carey? Debatable.....   

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Bit disrespectful IMHO

We had some wily players with big hearts and were an efficient unit and difficult to beat

Someone like McIndoe or Marv , Bradley Orr would all fit in perfectly and enhance this squad / side

Could you imagine how great it would be to have Marv, Trundle and Noble in this team. A Noble type is the missing piece in the jigsaw to make this squad special imo.

This current squad is managed by a far better and deeper thinking manager and therefore this squad understands completely what their job is. 

LJ has signed players that have the ability to adopt different formations and styles of play as required - something pretty much unheard of in 2008.

This squad is far superior in every department.

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Could you imagine how great it would be to have Marv, Trundle and Noble in this team. A Noble type is the missing piece in the jigsaw to make this squad special imo.

As much as he is a c**k , as a player McIndoe would be perfect , extremely busy and hard working and some skill too

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

As much as he is a c**k , as a player McIndoe would be perfect , extremely busy and hard working and some skill too

Yep, similar player to O’Dowda in a way but CO’D has a bit more flair and will probably go on to have a better career.

One of my biggest regrets watching City is feeling that we never got the best out of Lee Trundle - genius on his day.

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Indeed, whereas for all his talent Noble would not fit in. He was often blowing after an hour and would not cope with the high energy pressing game required.

I'd love to have Bradley Orr available now though.

37 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I recon it is.......seem to be more skilful and pacy players and overall more exciting to watch.

That is true and as people have said the standards have improved but that doesn't take away the achievement of that squad that season like it won't to let's say  forest fans winning the European cup,but can we dig out 1 nils later in the season like that the 08 team did,hopefully we won't need to

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

This current squad is managed by a far better and deeper thinking manager and therefore this squad understands completely what their job is. 

LJ has signed players that have the ability to adopt different formations and styles of play as required - something pretty much unheard of in 2008.

This squad is far superior in every department.

You seriously think that this squad has a "far superior" goalie than Basso then?

You don't think that the 2008 squad "understood their jobs"?

Let's see if this lot can match their playoff final appearance before crowing too much.

For what it is worth Basso, Orr, Elliott and McIndoe would definitely get in, Adebola and Carey might, the latter despite CB being very strong for us this season.

19 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Certainly Marv and/or Noble. Two very different types of midfielder. 

Marv could provide the 'bite' this current squad sometimes lack and Noble the sheer class that's been missing since he left,

Imagine Noble at his best playing for LJ now. He'd be even more impressive.

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

You seriously think that this squad has a "far superior" goalie than Basso then?

Let's see if this lot can match their playoff final appearance before crowing too much.

For what it is worth Basso, Orr, Elliott and McIndoe would definitely get in, Adebola and Carey might, the latter despite CB being very strong for us this season.

C'mon I loved that team but is Elliot better than Korey or Carey better then Flint or wright,we had spirit that season but don't tell me you think they would get in this team 

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The 2008 squad were sent out to defend as a priority. This current squad are sent out to win the game as attractively as as possible.

The current season (so far) is on a par with the great stuff that Danny Wilson played but with better players and at a higher level.

Im enjoying the football that LJ is serving up.

I will concede that Basso was just about a better keeper than FF, based largely on FF weak kicking.

@Top Robin

Impossible to judge for sure, isn't it? I'd like to think so but that side gave us a special- and generally wholly unexpected season which almost had a great climax.

@Robbored

I see where you are going with it but don't entirely agree (only saw home games that year plus any on Sky of course). 

First half of season especially, Noble behind the striker. When we played that way we were pretty progressive IMO.

Sheffield United under the lights I think October 07 stands out a bit.

I think we mixed it up and though that side was definitely more experienced, more pragmatic we still played some good stuff..especially first half of season.

Archived