IGNORED

Top 6 at the end of the season

hoxton casual

I suppose if you are a neutral, you would say us, Sheff Utd and Cardiff are over achieving at the moment.

Wolves look very strong indeed. Villa, Middlesborough, Derby I also expect to be there or there abouts. So many teams in mid table not that far away with so many games to go. Might just come down to luck with injuries, that kind of thing.

If forced, Wolves and Middleborough for auto, Villa, Sheffield Utd, Brentford and us in play offs. Why not.

When I looked yesterday (this may have changed due to the late results) there were 6 points between us and 7th and 6 points between 7th and 18th.

Its great to have pulled away a little but a couple of bad results could see any club dropped right into the thick of it. 

Mid table is as tight as a ducks chuff at the moment. Long may we keep getting the results.

11 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

Bristol City

Aston Villa

Derby 

Brentford

Hell of a tough play-off quartet. 

Brentford in a two leg playoff I think we would win right now.  Villa or Derby at Wembley? God knows.

And I agree about Wolves. If they keep going as they are they will run away with it.  I said at the start of the season that they'd either get top two or bottom three. Seems it's clicked instead of cracked.

Omg, finally we can have these disscusions  about us and the play off. No more talking about relegation, somehow the things are so so good, and we could even be on the second place if we won against Leeds but it' still perfect as it is.

1 hour ago, Mihai said:

Omg, finally we can have these disscusions  about us and the play off. No more talking about relegation, somehow the things are so so good, and we could even be on the second place if we won against Leeds but it' still perfect as it is.

Another 20 pts for safety.

Add another 20 points for play offs.

And another 20 points for automatic promotion.

Therefore a long way to go.

Championship is a long and brutal season. If I was offered a top 10 finish and a quarter final spot at the start of the season I would have bitten your hand off. That said we have surpassed expectations based on pundits predictions at the start of the season. 

Our high pressing game will take its toll on the players and you would expect more muscular strains as the season progresses. Top 6 would be a great achievement but would be surprised if we maintain. Probably a defeatist approach but would love to be surprised.

23 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Wish 70 points would be enough for playoffs-will take a minimum of 80 to do that job..

I`ve got a feeling it`s going to be high points at the top and low at the bottom this year. I reckon something like 48 will be enough to stay up but you`re going to need high 70s for the play offs.

40 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

True. A long way to go.

But.

Plenty of people were talking about relegation and L1 long before we were in the bottom three or seriously lookingblike going down. Let’s have a bit of fun and speculate. So long as people don’t come to the expect a play off place then it’s harmless fun.

46 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

7 more wins for safety 

14 more wins for play offs 

21 more wins for automatic promotion.

Looking at it another way .

I would guess we won't go down .

That a play off place is very doable 

and that auto is a possibility. 

34 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Wish 70 points would be enough for playoffs-will take a minimum of 80 to do that job..

If table goes at same rate then it will be around 75 so not minimum of 80. Last seasons before that were 80, 74, 78, 72, 68 and 75. So would be rare to need 80.

I think Wolves are the only team I could definitely be confident with and say they will be top 6. I would be surprised if Boro, Villa and Brentford didn't feature.

Basically its all to play for but we have a chance for sure.

Sunderland are in real danger of a double relegation.

Will be intriguing to see who takes the managers job as it is a high risk gig.

Looking at the other end of the table I am still going Wolves and Villa for automatic.

My thoughts on the play offs change after every set of fixtures - just now I see Boro and Derby, the other two slots could be any of 6 teams, but as I said that could look different after the break.

Do I think we could be in it? A very cautious yes currently.

We are getting too many long term injuries for my liking.

3 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

Interesting a few are tipping Mboro but few Leeds or Sheff Wed. Another current outsider, who may come string could be Reading maybe?

Dont Leeds show promise most seasons then bottle it like they have currently done?

10 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

If by 31/32 games we are on 60 points, then I'd say very doable for a push at automatic promotion. Play-offs at least if by then.

9 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

If table goes at same rate then it will be around 75 so not minimum of 80. Last seasons before that were 80, 74, 78, 72, 68 and 75. So would be rare to need 80.

I think Wolves are the only team I could definitely be confident with and say they will be top 6. I would be surprised if Boro, Villa and Brentford didn't feature.

Basically its all to play for but we have a chance for sure.

Current prediction tables show 78 points needed minimum, but we all know that will change as the season progresses.

Long way to go and this is the most competitive division in the country, if not Europe. On their day almost any team (well perhaps not Sunderland, Bolton or Birmingham at present) can beat any other, with as mentioned before only 6 points currently separating 7th & 18th, so string a few wins together and a team can jump up the league fairly fast. Remember the last time we were relegated, there were only 12 points between 6th and 22nd, which over 46 games is ridiculously tight!

I would reckon that 75 points will be there or thereabouts for 6th place. So for us that's 45 points from 30 games, which seems achievable if we can maintain our form for long enough. However we would need to average 2 points per game for a shot at automatic promotion, especially as Wolves look likely for one of the top 2 spots. That is much more unlikely even to the most rose-spectacled optimist.

Of the others, Sheffield Utd so remind us of our own play off team under GJ, but it remains to be seen if they can maintain their form. If Cardiff were managed by anyone other than Colin they wouldn't stand a chance. Villa will likely miss Terry for the next few weeks and may struggle to maintain the run of clean sheets, while Middlesboro & Derby both have decent managers and bigger resources than us. Many on here seem to rate Brentford, but it remains to be seen if they can crack the top 6, while Leeds are heading rapidly for mid table.

And then are still a load more teams who all reckon they should be pushing to get into the Premier League based on previous glories (Forest, Wednesday, Ipswich, Norwich). There really is no let-up at this level!

Archived