IGNORED

Poppies on shirts, guess which Club

cheshire_red

3 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Wast expect from that vile club

bit OTT JJ but coming from a Rangers family, I understand your sentiment but times have moved on and its sad to see Celtic not honouring those who paid the supreme sacrifice amongst whom many would have been Catholics

2 minutes ago, kevster3 said:

As someone living in England I personally respect the poppy, but I reiterate that the Irish have reasons to not respect it, and Celtic have strong Irish connections. 

Irish connections, play in Scotland. It should be down to the players, many Scottish or English in their team, to say if they want the poppy or not. It’s not a club decision but a personal one imo.

Just like it is for you and me to buy one and wear one

13 minutes ago, kevster3 said:

As someone living in England I personally respect the poppy, but I reiterate that the Irish have reasons to not respect it, and Celtic have strong Irish connections. 

They are a British club, if they want to be Irish then **** em off out the Scottish league 

37 minutes ago, kevster3 said:

I often wonder if the Irish would feel the same if the British army had let Nazi Germany invade the emerald isle,  just a thought.

I think that the people that fought and died in wars to preserve our freedom would be somewhat confused by the annual intolerance shown by many on the subject of poppies. It's quite simple - if people choose not to wear poppies then they don't have to and no one should criticise their choice. (I always wear a poppy, but then that's my choice and it doesn't make me more patriotic or virtuous than the man who doesn't).

40 minutes ago, kevster3 said:

It's sad though that some use the poppy as a political statement rather than for what it's intended. The poppy is a sign of remembrance for those killed in conflict - all nationalities, military and non military. 

As a sign of rememberence I'm hope some wear it for those of the c200k Irish who volunteered during WW1 and gave the ultimate sacrifice for my future. As i said - its about rememberence.

Why do people make such a big deal over players/organisations choosing not to wear a poppy? Surely our forebears were fighting to give them the right to choose whether or not they do? Rightly or wrongly, the poppy has become a highly politicised symbol in recent years and that's on both sides of the fence- you only have to look at how regularly it is exploited by organisations like Britain First. If someone chooses not to wear it, just let it go and it will cease to be a big issue

18 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

It's sad though that some use the poppy as a political statement rather than for what it's intended. The poppy is a sign of remembrance for those killed in conflict - all nationalities, military and non military. 

As a sign of rememberence I'm hope some wear it for those of the c200k Irish who volunteered during WW1 and gave the ultimate sacrifice for my future. As i said - its about rememberence.

Precisely this. For Celtic not to wear a poppy shows ignorance of the highest order and a total lack of respect for Irish blood. 

1 hour ago, kevster3 said:

Should check history before making such a comment, the Irish have no need to respect the horrors that British bestowed on them. 

And the Irish couldn't be arsed to fight in the war. 

When it comes to Nazis we all respect neutrality. Not. 

1 hour ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Not Irish mate

In WW1 the Irish Republic did not exist and may Irishmen died. There was even a recruiting poster issued "Irishmen, avenge the Lusitania; join an Irish regiment today".

irishmen-avenge-the-lusitania-rms-lusitania-join-irish-regiment-recruiting-bwn8kn.jpg

24 minutes ago, Ian M said:

When I saw the thread title I thought this thread was gonna be about Rovers. Just for reference, they didn't.

Won’t the Sags be playing next weekend? Maybe they are wearing them then. 

Please let this be the only time I’ve defended them. I’m off to wash my body clean until such thoughts are vanquished from my mind and soul

25 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

The club are utter scum, how anyone can support them is beyond me. 

BOTH of the large Glasgow clubs qualify for this description.

Outside of their own fan bases they are detested by all other Scottish football fans.

The reasons for that go way beyond the actual game itself.

Archived