IGNORED

Engvall's coming home (Merged)

Esmond Million's Bung

2 minutes ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

To be honest this is probably the best time for him to come back, give a rest to Bobby for the game again Preston maybe seeing that preston injured another defender on the weekend (pretty sure that's 7 defenders out now)

He can't play until January or be loaned out unfortunately. 

On the plus side it means he'll have 8 or 9 weeks to train hard and acclimatise to playing here again - maybe with a view to a L1/L2 loan in Jan.

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

On the plus side it means he'll have 8 or 9 weeks to train hard and acclimatise to playing here again - maybe with a view to a L1/L2 loan in Jan.

Are you sure that he cannot play for us until January? Possibly the loan terms are different for a player returning from a loan abroad?

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Are you sure that he cannot play for us until January? Possibly the loan terms are different for a player returning from a loan abroad?

It certainly was the case (and I believe still the case) that Fifa doesn't recognise international loans as being temporary.

They are effective treated as a permanent international transfer which is then reversed at the end of the loan spell. This means we cannot re-register him as a Bristol City player until the window re-opens in January.

In this day and age with stupid transfer fees, for someone of his age and scoring record the transfer fee was a small risk. You may say that Djuric was also a gamble (albeit smaller) that currently seems to be working, but I think its unfair to compare the two due to being two completely different strikers, (before anybody does). You also have to take into account the age difference.

Back to Engvall. He's had the loans back to his home country, had the chances to get his international call ups, and was (not so much recently I think), scoring regularly. Now is the time he has a big choice to make.

If he wants to go home  (may not, just generally speaking), he needs to make it clear that he wishes to do that. Otherwise he now needs to follow the advice he is given here, and by that I mean if we decide the best thing for him in January is to go to a League 1 club on loan, he needs to do that, no questions asked. He will now have about 6 weeks training with the squad, and will be assessed from there. It may well be that Johnson thinks he is now ready, only time will tell.

The next 6 weeks or so could be huge for Engvalls future.

30 minutes ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

To be honest this is probably the best time for him to come back, give a rest to Bobby for the game again Preston maybe seeing that preston injured another defender on the weekend (pretty sure that's 7 defenders out now)

Resting our top scorer is an awful idea. He's having a whole 2 weeks off now as it is. 

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Heard a few comments on here about how his second loan spell to djurgården was not such a successful one. Its a shame as he looked the part in his first loan spell. But that might have been down to him being fitter at the start of their season, having had a season with us. Mistake not getting loan to lower league side. Hopefully he gets one in January. 

Or motivated as he was desperate  to make the Swedish U 21 Euro Squad

:whistle:

Not convinced he has a future here unless he impresses LJ & Co quickly

I think you're wrong saying he can't play until January as he played our first game of the season which makes him eligible and actually means he can't go back out on loan in January to any other club bar that Swedish team as he's been on two registrations in a season. He can however play for us because we registered him and he played the opening game of the season 

6 minutes ago, palmerred said:

I think you're wrong saying he can't play until January as he played our first game of the season which makes him eligible and actually means he can't go back out on loan in January to any other club bar that Swedish team as he's been on two registrations in a season. He can however play for us because we registered him and he played the opening game of the season 

I disagree.

We will need an international transfer certificate to re-register him as a Bristol City player (and this cannot be valid until the window reopens).

During the loan period, his registration will have been held only by Djurgarden (since Fifa see international loans as no different to any permanent transfer). 

See Annexe 3, sections 8.2 and 8.3: http://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/02/70/95/52/regulationsonthestatusandtransferofplayersnov2016weben_neutral.pdf

2 hours ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

Not sure if this is serious or not?! :dunno:

6 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

True, although when I've seen him play it looked as though possibly the English game was a bit of a shock.

Would be interesting to see what would happen if a player took FIFA to court for restraint of trade? 

Seems silly that a player can't go to work due to some ludicrous regulation. Much like the Adrian debacle at Leicester - poor bloke can't play football for half the season due to regulations. 

Last time a player had the balls to take UEFA to court was a certain Mr Bosman. 

12 hours ago, Harry said:

Would be interesting to see what would happen if a player took FIFA to court for restraint of trade? 

Seems silly that a player can't go to work due to some ludicrous regulation. Much like the Adrian debacle at Leicester - poor bloke can't play football for half the season due to regulations. 

Last time a player had the balls to take UEFA to court was a certain Mr Bosman. 

Wasn't Ben Arfa in a similar situation a season or two ago?

Sure he was made to wait.

Wonder if U23 football is covered by the same rules? If not at least that would keep him match fit..

20 hours ago, Taz said:

In this day and age with stupid transfer fees, for someone of his age and scoring record the transfer fee was a small risk. You may say that Djuric was also a gamble (albeit smaller) that currently seems to be working, but I think its unfair to compare the two due to being two completely different strikers, (before anybody does). You also have to take into account the age difference.

Back to Engvall. He's had the loans back to his home country, had the chances to get his international call ups, and was (not so much recently I think), scoring regularly. Now is the time he has a big choice to make.

If he wants to go home  (may not, just generally speaking), he needs to make it clear that he wishes to do that. Otherwise he now needs to follow the advice he is given here, and by that I mean if we decide the best thing for him in January is to go to a League 1 club on loan, he needs to do that, no questions asked. He will now have about 6 weeks training with the squad, and will be assessed from there. It may well be that Johnson thinks he is now ready, only time will tell.

The next 6 weeks or so could be huge for Engvalls future.

Yep. He has to want to be here but if he does he needs to come back and get his head down and work hard. Get a loan to L1 if he can and do his best to make an impression there. Then come back for the summer pre season and keep at it. Can evaluate where he is a year from January on. That is if he wants to try and make it here. If not, work on some extra funds for January. 

22 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yep. He has to want to be here but if he does he needs to come back and get his head down and work hard. Get a loan to L1 if he can and do his best to make an impression there. Then come back for the summer pre season and keep at it. Can evaluate where he is a year from January on. That is if he wants to try and make it here. If not, work on some extra funds for January. 

wasn't he offered a loan to league one last season and turn it down? or did i dream

21 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

wasn't he offered a loan to league one last season and turn it down? or did i dream

Think so but understandable due to his u21 euro chances. Once in a lifetime opportunity for most whereas he will have a long playing career somewhere. 

He should have 2 years left assuming we did the 3 years plus option after this season. So there is no rush to get rid. We will not recoup full price at the moment so why not see how he develops over the next 6-7 months, hopefully with a L1 team. Then evaluate him fairly over what would be his first full preseason with us. Can push to make the first team during autumn of next season and then start thinking about offloading if it hasn’t worked. 

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

Think so but understandable due to his u21 euro chances. Once in a lifetime opportunity for most whereas he will have a long playing career somewhere. 

He should have 2 years left assuming we did the 3 years plus option after this season. So there is no rush to get rid. We will not recoup full price at the moment so why not see how he develops over the next 6-7 months, hopefully with a L1 team. Then evaluate him fairly over what would be his first full preseason with us. Can push to make the first team during autumn of next season and then start thinking about offloading if it hasn’t worked. 

thats where I completely disagree,

He wasn't up to the championship, no where near that standard, he wasn't use to English football, the best place to learn to play in England is in England,

It wouldn't of hurt his under 21's chances if he worked hard and performed, Tom Lockyear can get into the Welsh squad and he's at the gas, Wales are better the Sweden at the moment

Archived