IGNORED

Shawn Mccoulsky

Sparkz 76

See Shawn is top scorer for County scored against league 1 Walsall the weekend. Do we think this promising youngster has what it takes to be championship quality. I know he is only playing league 2 but so was O’ Dowda before we picked him up from Oxford. I believe this guy is one of those players who scores goals at any level natural born predator. So my question is to everybody is can we see Shawn breaking into this good bristol city team.

13 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Watched him closely n the tie v Walsall

Bright & Looks a poacher , took his goal well, but his overall contribution was limited

Looks a young one who could improve and move up the levels but nowhere near ready for Championship at present time ((IMHO)

If he's going to learn the many facets of being a good striker I think league 2 is the place to be. Hold up play and strength are a must in that league. Be interesting to see what happens to him in January

The frankly incredible improvement this season in the performances of Joe Bryan, Josh Brownhill, Callum O'Dowda and Bobby Reid is, I believe, largely attributable to the very significant improvements that each has made to their upper body strength. None of them are out-muscled by opponents; all of them now impose themselves on matches and appear to have grown significantly in confidence.

It seems to me that Shawn and Freddie Hinds will likewise benefit by following the route that the others have been on because it works. Clearly it requires a lot of hard work and dedication but the result is well worth it.

3 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

The frankly incredible improvement this season in the performances of Joe Bryan, Josh Brownhill, Callum O'Dowda and Bobby Reid is, I believe, largely attributable to the very significant improvements that each has made to their upper body strength. None of them are out-muscled by opponents; all of them now impose themselves on matches and appear to have grown significantly in confidence.

It seems to me that Shawn and Freddie Hinds will likewise benefit by following the route that the others have been on because it works. Clearly it requires a lot of hard work and dedication but the result is well worth it.

We need to get Mags to work on bulking up too!

17 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

If he's going to learn the many facets of being a good striker I think league 2 is the place to be. Hold up play and strength are a must in that league. Be interesting to see what happens to him in January

He’s definitely at the right level atm - he’s not L1 or above yet and has only just got a starting place at Newport

Attitude looks decent and thus he has a chance

Nice thing is , with the strength / depth at the various levels we are building there is no rush for him to make rapid progress - he has time to develop and see if he can make Champ Standard in time

46 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Not this season. Be good to extend his stay at Newport for the rest of the season though. He seems to be doing well there and they are competing at the right end of the table. Review his progress next summer.

That might depend on whether we get promoted.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Getting in the Newport first team would be a good start. Thats not a criticism of him, but for some reason the Newport manager doesn't start him in league games. Watched some of the FA Cup game and thought he did well to score and linked up OK. Works his socks off and is very fast. I just think his lack of strength is why he tends to stay on the subs bench. Improve that side of his game, and his hold up play, and we have some player. He clearly has that tammy instinct in front of goal, that you can't teach anyone. 

Sounds like an understudy for Reid

2 hours ago, Gazred said:

Not this season. Be good to extend his stay at Newport for the rest of the season though. He seems to be doing well there and they are competing at the right end of the table. Review his progress next summer.

Quite right.

I do wonder why some posters want these young inexperienced players to be considered as a first teamer.

Theyre out on loan for a reason. To play regular men's football and to learn the game and gain valuable experience.

Tinnion watches all the loanee's regularly and gets regular feedback from the respective managers. He then feeds all of that back to AG.

If Tinnion thought McCoulsky was ready for Championship football LJ and the backroom staff would know about it.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Quite right.

I do wonder why some posters want these young inexperienced players to be considered as a first teamer.

Theyre out on loan for a reason. To play regular men's football and to learn the game and gain valuable experience.

Tinnion watches all the loanee's regularly and gets regular feedback from the respective managers. He then feeds all of that back to AG.

If Tinnion thought McCoulsky was ready for Championship football LJ and the backroom staff would know about it.

We also let Yannick Bolasie rot in the reserves and bench so my question is how do we know

2 minutes ago, Sparkz 76 said:

We also let Yannick Bolasie rot in the reserves and bench so my question is how do we know

When Bolasie was at AG he was very raw and the few games he played never really shone and so he was allowed to move on. He flourished at  Palace and got a very decent move to Everton. City made a few quid out of both moves.

It happens. Some players just don't fully develop their skills at one club and when they move those skills often shine through.

7 hours ago, Sparkz 76 said:

See Shawn is top scorer for County scored against league 1 Walsall the weekend. Do we think this promising youngster has what it takes to be championship quality. I know he is only playing league 2 but so was O’ Dowda before we picked him up from Oxford. I believe this guy is one of those players who scores goals at any level natural born predator. So my question is to everybody is can we see Shawn breaking into this good bristol city team.

rather have him on the bench than woodrow

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

When Bolasie was at AG he was very raw and the few games he played never really shone and so he was allowed to move on. He flourished at  Palace and got a very decent move to Everton. City made a few quid out of both moves.

It happens. Some players just don't fully develop their skills at one club and when they move those skills often shine through.

Out of both moves or just the one to Everton?

I thought YB left City for a very low fee, hence the large sell-on fee.

Shawn has a great goals to games ratio at all levels and he is now proving he can do it at lower league level. I believe a certain player with the initials TA had a similar sort of goal scoring trend - each time he has stepped up he has delivered with goals.  Goal scoring is all about being in the right place at the right time and it's a bit of a born natural art and not so much something that can be trained into a player.  So City may have one of those rare gems of a natural goal scorer.   He must have the best goals per minute stats in the entire league with I believe one goal for every 50 mins on the pitch.   If he were getting one goal in 200 mins in the Championship we'd have another 20 goal a season player on our hands.    I can see the case for giving him a full season at Newport but with the injury to Famara then we are short of strikers and I'd rather have Shawn on the bench than Cauley Woodrow.  Not knocking the latter but 20 goal a season strikers in the Championship are very valuable and we may well have another on our books and it would be good to give him time on the pitch from our bench rather than Newport's.   

9 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

Shawn has a great goals to games ratio at all levels and he is now proving he can do it at lower league level. I believe a certain player with the initials TA had a similar sort of goal scoring trend - each time he has stepped up he has delivered with goals.  Goal scoring is all about being in the right place at the right time and it's a bit of a born natural art and not so much something that can be trained into a player.  So City may have one of those rare gems of a natural goal scorer.   He must have the best goals per minute stats in the entire league with I believe one goal for every 50 mins on the pitch.   If he were getting one goal in 200 mins in the Championship we'd have another 20 goal a season player on our hands.    I can see the case for giving him a full season at Newport but with the injury to Famara then we are short of strikers and I'd rather have Shawn on the bench than Cauley Woodrow.  Not knocking the latter but 20 goal a season strikers in the Championship are very valuable and we may well have another on our books and it would be good to give him time on the pitch from our bench rather than Newport's.   

A certain Marty Taylor has a very similar record.

Didn’t even get on tonight in the Checkatrade, perhaps he’ll get a start Saturday. He’s definitely got the speed and eye for goal that you’d want any young striker to have, same as Hinds. I guess it’ll be all about which of them can improve the other parts of the game. Hinds seems a more rounded player right now despite his lack of loan time though.

I’m planning on getting a Skype interview for the podcast with someone who knows and watches Newport to get some more info on how McCoulsky is doing/looking. 

Archived