IGNORED

Flint's goal

Aizoon

22 hours ago, big ted said:

My first season was the 1964/65 promotion season. Didn't Big John , Brian Clark and Bobby Williams score more than 20 goals each or is the old memory playing up?

John A - 23 League, but no cup goals, Brian C - 24 league and two cup goals, Bobby W - just four league goals as he only played 20 games. Terry Bush chipped in with 16 league and one cup goal..

7 hours ago, Drew Peacock said:

Geoff Merrick's diving header is the best own goal I ever saw.

Against Wrexham?

Correct, just before half time. For you young 'uns; City were in Div 1 and home in the FA Cup to Wrexham from Div 3.

1-0, 2-0, 2-1. 2-2. 2-3, 2-4, 3-4, 4-4.

23 hours ago, Aizoon said:

Just a straw poll, but I wonder how many who answered saw Atyeo play?

I saw his first game against Newport County, first game of season 1951-52.

His last one v Ipswich on last day of 1965-66 season.

And a helluva lot in between.

To be fair to others like Cheesley, it wasn't that John could jump very high compared with others. But he had great body strength, very good positional sense and a determination to get the goals.

On 11/7/2017 at 20:06, 22A said:

Correct, just before half time. For you young 'uns; City were in Div 1 and home in the FA Cup to Wrexham from Div 3.

1-0, 2-0, 2-1. 2-2. 2-3, 2-4, 3-4, 4-4.

The late  F.A. Cup comeback, dramatic as it sounds, wasn't greeted with as much enthusiasm as you might expect - City fans had expected a comfortable home win, were really pissed off by Wrexham scoring 4 in a row, and many had left before the end.

However I was one of a couple of hundred enthused enough to travel to the Racecourse Ground a few days later for the replay.

It was a long journey, a freezing cold night, and we suffered a terrible 3-0 defeat.

Wouldn't have been quite so bad had we not also stood on the same piece of Wrexham terracing a couple of months earlier to see them knock City out of the League Cup.

The follies of being a youthful City fan.

33 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The late  F.A. Cup comeback, dramatic as it sounds, wasn't greeted with as much enthusiasm as you might expect - City fans had expected a comfortable home win, were really pissed off by Wrexham scoring 4 in a row, and many had left before the end.

However I was one of a couple of hundred enthused enough to travel to the Racecourse Ground a few days later for the replay.

It was a long journey, a freezing cold night, and we suffered a terrible 3-0 defeat.

Wouldn't have been quite so bad had we not also stood on the same piece of Wrexham terracing a couple of months earlier to see them knock City out of the League Cup.

The follies of being a youthful City fan.

I'll bet you went to Chester as well, to see 1st division City knocked out of the FA cup by the then 4th division side.......

16 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

I'll bet you went to Chester as well, to see 1st division City knocked out of the FA cup by the then 4th division side.......

Nope, don't remember City ever losing to Chester in the F.A. Cup.

The only time I remember going to Sealand Road was 7th May 1984, one of the truly unforgettable away days. :yes:

Archived