IGNORED

Flint's goal

Aizoon

12 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Nope, don't remember City ever losing to Chester in the F.A. Cup.

The only time I remember going to Sealand Road was 7th May 1984, one of the truly unforgettable away days. :yes:

My memory is going!  Just checked the records and we didn't play them.  Goodness knows what I was thinking of ............ :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The late  F.A. Cup comeback, dramatic as it sounds, wasn't greeted with as much enthusiasm as you might expect - City fans had expected a comfortable home win, were really pissed off by Wrexham scoring 4 in a row, and many had left before the end.

However I was one of a couple of hundred enthused enough to travel to the Racecourse Ground a few days later for the replay.

It was a long journey, a freezing cold night, and we suffered a terrible 3-0 defeat.

Wouldn't have been quite so bad had we not also stood on the same piece of Wrexham terracing a couple of months earlier to see them knock City out of the League Cup.

The follies of being a youthful City fan.

A couple of us hitchhiked up that night, dismal!

29 minutes ago, Nicki's soulmate said:

A couple of us hitchhiked up that night, dismal!

Really? I've always remembered a couple of lads going around the terracing saying they'd hitchhiked up and seeing if anyone had room to give them a lift back, but getting no joy.

Felt really sorry for them. They'd already been turned down by the supporters coach driver iirc., so in fairly dire straits - it was almost 10 0'clock in Wrexham, in January, and bloody freezing.

It wasn't exactly a huge away following so that was probably you. Did you manage to get a lift back?

1 hour ago, Drew Peacock said:

I'll bet you went to Chester as well, to see 1st division City knocked out of the FA cup by the then 4th division side.......

40 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

We played Chester 1970 3rd round FA Cup, lost 2-1 in the snow..............I was there (Skirton scored) :grr:

In that case Drew, no, I wasn't there,  just before my days of following City away..... and your memory is just fine!

On 07/11/2017 at 12:30, Drew Peacock said:

Geoff Merrick's diving header is the best own goal I ever saw.

Against Wrexham?

On 07/11/2017 at 19:05, Garland's Perm said:

Think that Ray Atteveld’s volley from outside the box at Cold Blow Lane in 1992 trumps anything I’ve seen even from Rodgers. Mind you I seem to recollect Rodgers was the leading goal scorer for 3 different clubs at the same time once. 

I was there for both :facepalm: 2 quality own goals to be sure .

3 hours ago, Drew Peacock said:

I'll bet you went to Chester as well, to see 1st division City knocked out of the FA cup by the then 4th division side.......

City were in the 2nd Div. Chester scored in the 3rd minute and Skirton equalised in the 44th. Chester got there winner with about 20 mins to go, but City just weren't in it. In the programme for the previous home game AD wrote "We are not expecting an upset at Chester". :facepalm:

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Really? I've always remembered a couple of lads going around the terracing saying they'd hitchhiked up and seeing if anyone had room to give them a lift back, but getting no joy.

Felt really sorry for them. They'd already been turned down by the supporters coach driver iirc., so in fairly dire straits - it was almost 10 0'clock in Wrexham, in January, and bloody freezing.

It wasn't exactly a huge away following so that was probably you. Did you manage to get a lift back?

Yeah, we got back via lifts from Wells lads then Thornbury lads we knew

4 hours ago, Nicki's soulmate said:

That was quite a gripping story. Total respect. I used to hitchhike from Bristol to Mid Lancs in the 80's. What year was that and how long did it take. One of my trips took 24 hours!

17 hours ago, Nicki's soulmate said:

Sounds like it wasn't you then, the 2 I'm thinking of didn't seem to know anyone else there, had no money, and were getting increasingly desperate to find a way to get home - or at least to the motorway I suppose.

I thought you'd come up with the answer to something I've wondered about occasionally for nigh on 40 years, but it seems not!

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Sounds like it wasn't you then, the 2 I'm thinking of didn't seem to know anyone else there, had no money, and were getting increasingly desperate to find a way to get home - or at least to the motorway I suppose.

I thought you'd come up with the answer to something I've wondered about occasionally for nigh on 40 years, but it seems not!

Probably not us Nog, can't imagine us being desperate, we had money, I can't recall at what stage during the game we sorted out the lift,

the mystery continues!

7 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

There are probably a couple of skeletons still in some bushes on a roundabout on the A55. 

Archived