IGNORED

David Moyes

Super

If they get Everton David Moyes, then they're laughing. If they get Moyes post Everton, then they could be in trouble.

To be fair they're a mid table premiership team at best anyway. They also don't own their own ground but there we go.

2 minutes ago, Taz said:

If they get Everton David Moyes, then they're laughing. If they get Moyes post Everton, then they could be in trouble.

To be fair they're a mid table premiership team at best anyway. They also don't own their own ground but there we go.

I actually quite liked Bilic, players just gave up though.

I really thought (hoped :wub:) he would have to go down into the Championship and rebuild. Amazed he got another Prem job on his recent form. Don't like WHam though so will watch with hopeful amusement. Maybe we could dispense with ManU and get them next round :laugh:

It’s a bit of a baffling appointment but I guess West Ham needed someone with experience in The Premier League to try & drag them out of trouble, an unknown / foreign appointment would have left everyone stating the obvious if they had failed & let’s be honest, if this appointment fails, West Ham will be very close to being relegated by the time they do anything about it this time around as time clearly isn’t on their side.

Similarly, Everton’s vacant managers position is being linked to Allardyce, someone with Premier League experience & who won’t need time to adjust. Is it now a case that replacement managers are likely to be British rather than risking a foreign appointment? I guess part of the reasoning behind such appointments is that these type of managers are willing to work with what they’ve got instead of having very little idea as to who the players are at a club & then needing to spend another £100m during the next transfer window.

Can these managers turn the tide in respect of the need to appoint foreign managers on the back of recent short term foreign management failures or are there simply not enough top class British managers available for such positions?

29 minutes ago, Taz said:

They may not own their ground, but they have got the deal of the century in paying tuppence h'pny rent for a brand new 50,000 seater stadium compared to the financial costs Arsenal bore for the Emirates and Spurs will doubtless be incurring for the new WHL.

Unfortunately Wham seem to have blown the financial advantage their stadium deal gave them with some bang average player purchases.

45 minutes ago, Super said:

I actually quite liked Bilic, players just gave up though.

Sounds familiar doesn't it? So many times a manager is given the boot because the players decide they've had enough and stop playing for him. New man then comes in and suddenly "rejuvenates" the players.

15 minutes ago, downendcity said:

They may not own their ground, but they have got the deal of the century in paying tuppence h'pny rent for a brand new 50,000 seater stadium compared to the financial costs Arsenal bore for the Emirates and Spurs will doubtless be incurring for the new WHL.

Unfortunately Wham seem to have blown the financial advantage their stadium deal gave them with some bang average player purchases.

Oh I agree, deal of the century indeed. What should have happened though is that the money saved from renting a stadium like that, should have been reinvested in some of the best players you can buy.

As you say, bang average players are their problem, but bang average players that know they can pay good money. The top players won't come because they're not as attractive as Chelsea, Spurs or Arsenal.

Weren't they also throwing a hissy not so long ago because they wanted something on the side of the pitch in claret, but the stadium owners said blue or nothing?

I also think that their poor start to the season was a lot to do with the fact that they had to play all their games at the start away from home because of the athletics? A poor game away backed up by a good home game is sometimes what you need to get you going. Just look at Spurs last season in the Champions League at Wembley. They were effectively away from home....

West Ham are in a weird place. They've recruited horribly in truth, they have some proven talent in Hernandez and Zabaleta, but no youth whatsoever, and haven't bothered to get any pacy defenders after signing 34 year old Jose Fonte.

Hart on loan for a season is fine, but they only really have one promising young player, Reece Oxford, and he's out on loan at Monchengladbach. They'll eventually lose their one proper asset, Lanzini, and then they'll have nothing but a load of 30 somethings lumbering around a huge empty stadium. 

It seems like they have no plan at all right now, and signing Moyes is the next step to headlessness. I think we all know Moyes can be a good manager if he's not brought in to be a quick fix like at Sunderland or Sociedad. If he's given time and a plan he can do a lot, even with meagre funds. But I think we know that's probably not what West Ham are giving him.

49 minutes ago, Taz said:

Sounds familiar doesn't it? So many times a manager is given the boot because the players decide they've had enough and stop playing for him. New man then comes in and suddenly "rejuvenates" the players.

Oh I agree, deal of the century indeed. What should have happened though is that the money saved from renting a stadium like that, should have been reinvested in some of the best players you can buy.

As you say, bang average players are their problem, but bang average players that know they can pay good money. The top players won't come because they're not as attractive as Chelsea, Spurs or Arsenal.

Weren't they also throwing a hissy not so long ago because they wanted something on the side of the pitch in claret, but the stadium owners said blue or nothing?

I also think that their poor start to the season was a lot to do with the fact that they had to play all their games at the start away from home because of the athletics? A poor game away backed up by a good home game is sometimes what you need to get you going. Just look at Spurs last season in the Champions League at Wembley. They were effectively away from home....

In reply to the first part of your post,  players may ' stop playing' for a manager for a number of different reasons, suffice to say that if they're doing well this is never an issue .

It all boils down to man management and clearly if the manager has lost the player's faith then his position becomes untenable.

• Admin

Just seems like some a backward appointment - sounds like Everton are going for Allardyce, that will be just as bad

Neither are going to achieve anything at either club, they'll just stagnate into "also rans" but maybe that is what owners want with guaranteed ££

3 hours ago, Luxo Jr. said:

West Ham are in a weird place. They've recruited horribly in truth, they have some proven talent in Hernandez and Zabaleta, but no youth whatsoever, and haven't bothered to get any pacy defenders after signing 34 year old Jose Fonte.

Hart on loan for a season is fine, but they only really have one promising young player, Reece Oxford, and he's out on loan at Monchengladbach. They'll eventually lose their one proper asset, Lanzini, and then they'll have nothing but a load of 30 somethings lumbering around a huge empty stadium. 

It seems like they have no plan at all right now, and signing Moyes is the next step to headlessness. I think we all know Moyes can be a good manager if he's not brought in to be a quick fix like at Sunderland or Sociedad. If he's given time and a plan he can do a lot, even with meagre funds. But I think we know that's probably not what West Ham are giving him.

I bet when you came to typing Monchengladbach, you cursed that you'd even brought up Reece Oxford. Oh damn, I've also done it now

2 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Probably in the minority here but I think this is an inspired choice. I think Moyes will save them from the drop, quite easily in the final analysis, and will have a decent season with them next year.

he won't be given enough time,

Terrible choice by WHam, compounded by Moyes' choice of Stuart Pearce as his assistant.

Hopefully they go down. Arrogant club, arrogant fans.

I've disliked them since my first visit there as a 14 year old schoolboy (for the FA cup 3rd Round 3-2 defeat) in 1969 when I was pelted with bricks by grown men outside the tube station for simply wearing a City scarf. Scum.

34 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Terrible choice by WHam, compounded by Moyes' choice of Stuart Pearce as his assistant.

Hopefully they go down. Arrogant club, arrogant fans.

I've disliked them since my first visit there as a 14 year old schoolboy (for the FA cup 3rd Round 3-2 defeat) in 1969 when I was pelted with bricks by grown men outside the tube station for simply wearing a City scarf. Scum.

Did said brick by chance hit you on the head as thats a lot of hate to carry around for 48 years:blink:

56 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Unfortunately, I think Moyes will have the same success with WHU that he did with Sunderland.

How is it that someone can make such a (relative) success at Everton yet can fail everywhere else.

He will have trouble getting a job in the top flight if he does.

He may even end up here one day :)

Lack of expectation when he first went there? For as long as I can remember Everton have usually been a bottom half, maybe scraping into the top half side. Moyes took over transformed them, and made them into a decent side over a number of years. Nothing spectacular, but half decent.

Man Utd come along - expectation straight away, it was highly likely to end in disaster.

Real Sociedad - again unlikely to work long term, especially in a foreign country.

Sunderland - well we've seen how bad they are this year, and it was his job to keep them up.

He needs to keep West Ham up. I would be surprised if they went down - they're bound to click at some point right!? If he keeps them up and is given time to build, then there is a chance he could build something decent there. In the current climate of lose 3 or 4, I doubt he will last much longer than he did at man Utd though.

21 hours ago, Taz said:

For as long as I can remember Everton have usually been a bottom half, maybe scraping into the top half side. Moyes took over transformed them, and made them into a decent side over a number of years. Nothing spectacular, but half decent.

I am not an Everton fan, but my recollection is that, in the mid-1980s, they won the FA Cup and, subsequently, the European Cup Winners' Cup, plus the First Division twice and would have competed in the European Cup had it not been for Heysel. They also again won the FA Cup in the mid-1990s.

Perhaps I am older than you, but my memories of Everton (apart from a slight blip before Moyes took over) are of a strong First Division team. 

They nearly came unstuck in the FA Cup (and should have) against City in the pouring rain at Ashton Gate and then in the League Cup some years later when they only went through on penalties.

On 07/11/2017 at 15:04, havanatopia said:

Probably in the minority here but I think this is an inspired choice. I think Moyes will save them from the drop, quite easily in the final analysis, and will have a decent season with them next year.

I think he will save them from the drop but only because they should not be bloody down there in the first place...

Archived