IGNORED

An interesting problem in January

Midlands Robin

id personally like an improvement on Pack, I fear if Smith gets injured that we will struggle to get the best out of Brownhill, which of course we are (although he is likely to improve even more) at the moment, as a partnership they work brilliantly.

As much as Id like another right back, Wrights defensive qualities seem to work well, especially at set pieces.

I brought this up in another thread but basically why stop doing the stuff thats worked so far and instead use a very short term approach for a goal were likely to meet if we keep doing what were doing anyway.

Keep buying the best young players and developing them and selling them and reinvesting that money in better facilities and better young players.

Good post Rob. I think a lot will depend on who is availiable. I think the emphasis should be on players able to improve to be effective in the Prem/upper Championship. Spunking pounds on a big name may set us back in the long term if we dont get promoted. 

12 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

id personally like an improvement on Pack, I fear if Smith gets injured that we will struggle to get the best out of Brownhill, which of course we are (although he is likely to improve even more) at the moment, as a partnership they work brilliantly.

As much as Id like another right back, Wrights defensive qualities seem to work well, especially at set pieces.

But he keeps on rolling about as if he's been shot every time he gets pushed and smacked in the face, he will most likely be suspended for most games....:whistle:

On 11/7/2017 at 11:37, cidered abroad said:

There's an old saying "Horses for courses", nothing to do with our "friends" at the Mem by the way.

Translated into football terminology, a team is built to get it promotion because while the perceived quality is better, higher up the league, all of the leagues in the English game,  require different approaches to being successful.

For example, to play slow, passing around the back three/four/five as many Premier clubs do would be pretty useless in the National League where the emphasis is much more physical.

So to recruit all Premier players to win the Championship, may not be the best way of doing it. Thus it's always been my belief that a club must gather together a squad of players that are experienced in the league in which they are with a very big caveat.

That the majority of the players are considered to be capable of improving quickly at the next level up. And as the performances of the team are not solely down to the squad, a coaching staff who will similarly adapt to new tactics and problems. That is a big ask for any club like City who haven't achieved the final step up for forty years.

On the positive side after the problems of the first season up, we are now seeing the real improvement of players in our squad from last season. Not only their own performances are more consistent but also the teamwork is considerably better. If, and at the moment it is a big if, we did win promotion in May 2018, it would be very tough to have a squad that, in the majority, would be able to raise performances enough over 38 games, to give us a realistic chance of staying up.

But we will never know until we get there. It may need a spell of the "Burnley" bounce or we could be as successful as Bournemouth / Swansea. Should be an interesting next two or three years for City and the fans.

PS. We want players who have the capacity for improvement in their top two inches.

What, nicer hairstyling?  :cool:

Personally think we'll look to bring in 3 players.

We need an attacking midfielder with a touch of quality and experience, and I think this will be our main January target and will look to sign someone who is top 6 Championship standard with Premiership experience.

I also think with the injuries we need a Striker and a Full back. I wouldn't be surprised if we looked for an out of favour Premier League player on loan, with the potability to purchase in the summer if all went well. 

• Admin
On 07/11/2017 at 16:54, chinapig said:

I'm afraid I am going to repeat what I say every time this comes up. Of strikers signed by Championship clubs that January only one scored more goals than Dele.

Ironically, that was Leroy Lita.

Whilst I liked Dele and agree his goal return was decent, the style went longer once we signed him and I felt as a team we played worse with him that we had without him in the first half of the season. Maybe a different type of striker might have made a difference by allowing us to continue in that same style?

Memory is a little hazy but weren't we top or certainly second when LJ got injured and had slipped to 4th by the time he returned? For all the grief he took about Elliot doing his running, LJ kept the team ticking over when in possession and always presented himself for a pass when teammates were on the ball. I felt the balance of that midfield was just about right and his injury certainly hampered us.

Archived