IGNORED

Save the Thekla

The Bard

Hi

Any of you who've ever frequented this Bristolian landmark, please make the effort to sign the petition :-

https://www.change.org/p/bristol-city-council-save-the-bristol-thekla

Some property developer wants to build flats across the water from the venue.  There is nothing in their plans to offset the noise from the Thekla, which people fear will put the venue's future at risk. Be good if someone who understands planning law better than me (KITR) could explain better..

Either way, please add your signature.

Bard

I have no idea what the law is on this sort of thing, but there needs to be some common sense rules in place.

If you move or build flats near to something noisy, then that’s your own fault.  You can’t move next door to an existing nightclub and moan about noise or buy a house next to an airport and whine that planes make too much noise.

If you are living somewhere and there are plans to build an airport/nightclub/whatever next door, then I would agree you have a good case to fight it.

The noise from the Thekla will be the problem of the proposed new flats, not the Thekla’s problem.

10 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

I have no idea what the law is on this sort of thing, but there needs to be some common sense rules in place.

If you move or build flats near to something noisy, then that’s your own fault.  You can’t move next door to an existing nightclub and moan about noise or buy a house next to an airport and whine that planes make too much noise.

If you are living somewhere and there are plans to build an airport/nightclub/whatever next door, then I would agree you have a good case to fight it.

The noise from the Thekla will be the problem of the proposed new flats, not the Thekla’s problem.

It don`t work like that these days mate although it should. There have been many cases where businesses have been told to spend thousands on noise reduction work because a new estate has been built close by. Some have even been forced to close with job losses because of it. All different types of operation have been affected - engineering works, motorsport arenas and many, many others.

Totally wrong but that`s what the courts do these days - I`m sure some of the various legal actions being brought are underwritten by the big housebuilders too although they`ll never admit it.

We only have to look at AV to see what incoming nimbies can achieve.

Reminds me of the problems that Brands Hatch motor racing circuit had in Kent. Because the track needed updating and at the same time didn't have much money in the bank they freed up some capital by selling off a parcel of land near the circuit for housing. The new residents moved in to their lovely new homes and guess what? They didn't much like the sound made by those noisy motor cars racing just across the field from their tidy new estate. So in short order they took out an injunction in the courts and Brands Hatch suddenly found themselves on the receiving end of an order than limits the number of racing hours per year and the days on which they can operate. 

I've got many happy memories of the Thekla. They used to do a Northern Soul and Mod night on Saturday evenings. I think that ended a few years ago but that was brilliant. 

Archived