IGNORED

Pre Match Atmosphere v Manchester

One of the best atmosphere's in the recent past was Nicky Maynards return with West Ham, even their fans were surprised at the vitriolic reception he received.

Note to the club, a crowd atmosphere can't be manufactured ,it happens - advise everyone to be in their seats a little earlier than usual turn off the music and listen to the noise .

That roar when City emerge from the tunnel makes ME want to run my bollocks off for the next hour and a half and I'm watching it on an iPad 27 years later in my living room. The adrenaline rush for the players must've been amazing.

Thats what the atmosphere should be like at a football match and its one of the things that get kids hooked in the first place. 

6 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

That roar when City emerge from the tunnel makes ME want to run my bollocks off for the next hour and a half and I'm watching it on an iPad 27 years later in my living room. The adrenaline rush for the players must've been amazing.

Thats what the atmosphere should be like at a football match and its one of the things that get kids hooked in the first place. 

Ruined by the modern day necessity for the teams to run out together, and don't get me started on to the infuriating pre match hand shaking ritual. Or indeed the pre match music and the frenetic announcers screaming their unwanted nonsense.

Forest run out - 'Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo' 'W*nkers' '**** O** Forest' etc. A torrent of abuse. 

City's heroes emerge from the tunnel to an ear shattering roar - what a welcome, utter pandemonium.

The scene is set for battle, no quarter asked or given, with the home fans, as one and from all sides, ferociously hostile to the opposition and 100% behind City from the off.

What an atmosphere - just fantastic, spine tingling and genuinely makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck all these years later.

Those of us at AG that day will never forget it but can only look back and rue the loss of such unbridled noise, passion, and genuine excitement bordering on frenzy -  very sadly it can never be recreated now imo. :(

21 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Ruined by the modern day necessity for the teams to run out together, and don't get me started on to the infuriating pre match hand shaking ritual. Or indeed the pre match music and the frenetic announcers screaming their unwanted nonsense.

Forest run out - 'Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo' 'W*nkers' '**** O** Forest' etc. A torrent of abuse. 

City's heroes emerge from the tunnel to an ear shattering roar - what a welcome, utter pandemonium.

Spot on.

21 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The scene is set for battle, no quarter asked or given, with the home fans, as one and from all sides, ferociously hostile to the opposition and 100% behind City from the off.

What an atmosphere - just fantastic, spine tingling and genuinely makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck all these years later.

Those of us at AG that day will never forget it but can only look back and rue the loss of such unbridled noise, passion, and genuine excitement bordering on frenzy -  very sadly it can never be recreated now imo. :(

Never got to see AG like that sadly. 

My earliest memories of pre-match at AG is an absurd announcer embarrassingly urging at each stand individually to sing 'Come on you Reds'.

1 hour ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

One of the best atmosphere's in the recent past was Nicky Maynards return with West Ham, even their fans were surprised at the reception he received.

Note to the club, a crowd atmosphere can't be manufactured ,it happens - advise everyone to be in their seats a little earlier than usual turn off the music and listen to the noise .

But don't make a big deal of it and announce it over the PA!

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Never got to see AG like that sadly. 

My earliest memories of pre-match at AG is an absurd announcer embarrassingly urging at each stand individually to sing 'Come on you Reds'.

The guy from the radio, sounds similar to what we have now...

thank god it stopped when Dave Lloyd took over the mic. 

13 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Love it. 

The management need to watch that. Many times. 

It doesn't fit the BCFC "DNA" or the desired demographic of fan sought by the club now. Sit on your hands get your faces painted like Jon boy and watch 2,600 Man U fans deafen the ground whilst stood up for 90 minutes.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Controversial perhaps but I’d think about scrapping ‘one for the Bristol City’.

I know it’s tradition, but no one sings it when it’s played or during the game. Doesn’t build atmosphere as it’s too slow especially considering no one sings along.

Agreed, its a shit song.

2 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I think a lot of the prematch atmosphere was killed by the bloody champions league style handshakes they are forced to do now. So much better the home team running out to a huge roar, really got the hairs on the back of your neck tingling. Loo rolls being lobbed onto the goalnet. And of course the huge boo for the opposition. No pre match pleasantries at all, focused on the job from the start. Happy Days

1 minute ago, RedM said:

I think a lot of the prematch atmosphere was killed by the bloody champions league style handshakes they are forced to do now. So much better the home team running out to a huge roar, really got the hairs on the back of your neck tingling. Loo rolls being lobbed onto the goalnet. And of course the huge boo for the opposition. No pre match pleasantries at all, focused on the job from the start. Happy Days

As Nogbad said above, the teams entering the pitch together has played a part in all this. I can’t even remember exactly when it started? When I was a kid I loved the pantomime of booing the opposition team when they came out and cheering as loudly as possible when City came out. 

Good fun, all part of the tribal nature of the game that’s made it so popular over the last 150 years. It’s all slowly being removed from the matchday experience.

2 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

As Nogbad said above, the teams entering the pitch together has played a part in all this. I can’t even remember exactly when it started? When I was a kid I loved the pantomime of booing the opposition team when they came out and cheering as loudly as possible when City came out. 

Good fun, all part of the tribal nature of the game that’s made it so popular over the last 150 years. It’s all slowly being removed from the matchday experience.

I guess we were making the same point then, must admit I just skipped through and didn't see, apologies. 

The noise as the team run out is fantastic.  It feels electric even after all these years.

But, I still enjoy my football.  I agree that it isn't what it used to be in terms of pre-match atmosphere but occasionally there's a real buzz.

For everyone pining for the 'good old days' don't ignore the fact that between 1982 and 1986 our average attendance was around 6,000 per match.  I loved those days but as fans we used to rattle around like coins in a tin-can!

What we need (and this video proves it) is a game that has importance and therefore precipitates atmosphere.  Rovers spell in the footballing wilderness has made genuine derby fixtures a thing of the past and we haven't had decent cup opposition for many years.  But when we played Crystal Palace in 2010, Hartlepool in 2004, Rovers in 2013 there was something significant at stake and the noise comes back.

There will be a solid core of genuine City fans at the Manchester game and a place in the semi-final of the League Cup is a real prize.  I'm pretty sure the noise will be good.  I would echo the above posts and ask everyone to get to their seats 20 minutes before kick-off.

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

It doesn't fit the BCFC "DNA" or the desired demographic of fan sought by the club now. Sit on your hands get your faces painted like Jon boy and watch 2,600 Man U fans deafen the ground whilst stood up for 90 minutes.

Sad but absolutely true. The country's best away support coming here in 5 weeks and you can bet the club will ramp up the occasion with some sort of ridiculous gimmick. Free face paint set with every ticket :facepalm:

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Sad but absolutely true. The country's best away support coming here in 5 weeks and you can bet the club will ramp up the occasion with some sort of ridiculous gimmick. Free face paint set with every ticket :facepalm:

Second best, surely....?

16 hours ago, 054123 said:

One of my favourite videos of City on YouTube. 

We didn't need a ridiculously loud announcer, needless music, just a packed Ashton Gate.

I know it won't happen, as football is different these days, but imagine if everyone was in 10 mins before just beltong out 'come on you reds' with random out bursts of 'bring on the city'.

Last time it felt a little like it was against Rovers in the East end. The sininging whilst wiring outside, and just listening to the noise the other side of the fencing.

Both legs (away & home) was just awesome, great days for BCFC fans in those days. One of the best seasons for me. I was into Dolman B Block mentality in those days!!!

Everyone wore those red and yellow BCFC ski hats - fashion icon?

I think that is SuperBob in the enclosure by the old dugout with his blow up banana? Just look at that perspective built players tunnel they ran out through!!!!

Is that you SB?

14 hours ago, Offside said:

It’s still heartbreaking to see that shot fail to creep in. I’ve always been convinced that we’d have beaten Luton in the final had we got there.

Makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up watching that!

Pretty emotional stuff thinking back. By Christ, we were such a close knit club. Hope they return as certainly some momentum building currently? The 12th man always counts in a close match.

F+ck the prawn sandwiches, give me the old, raw, aggressive, passionate AG any day!

Thanks for posting the vids - good memories for many on OTIB.

1 hour ago, GasDestroyer said:

Both legs (away & home) was just awesome, great days for BCFC fans in those days. One of the best seasons for me. I was into Dolman B Block mentality in those days!!!

I think that is SuperBob in the enclosure by the old dugout with his blow up banana? Just look at that perspective built players tunnel they ran out through!!!!

Is that you SB?

No - I stopped my ticker and lovely season ticket perch in the Dolman for an open end ticket that day (Long story !) - Never been so cold n wet at a game !

1 hour ago, GasDestroyer said:

Is that you SB?

Was in the East End that day and sorry to say now yes I wore 1 of those Red and Yellow Ski hats, what a great advert that was for our club, East End was Jammed that day, thinking about it was jammed most home games

35 minutes ago, SDBS36 said:

Was in the East End that day and sorry to say now yes I wore 1 of those Red and Yellow Ski hats, what a great advert that was for our club, East End was Jammed that day, thinking about it was jammed most home games

I had a yellow one mate and it was my pride and joy for a year or two in those days,  just loved the camaraderie that existed back in those days between players and fans. Used to meet some of the City team in Bristol post match on a weekend - just out on the piss/general chit chat/enjoying themselves, etc. Glen Humphries, Robbie Turner were often out Saturday post match.

“Psycho” was actually quite a decent guy. The team was made up of  free transfers/wheeler deals etc.

Note Beryl Fudge on the touch line - decent lady. Told me off for misbehaving on a Cats coach once with SuperBob. When the team ran out, can still remember that roar. Absolutely deafening. 

Joe Jordan was my messiah in those days and if I am honest gave me a focus every weekend when I was in danger of going off the rails at the time. Thanks Joe!

23 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

I had a yellow one mate and it was my pride and joy for a year or two in those days,  just loved the camaraderie that existed back in those days between players and fans. Used to meet some of the City team in Bristol post match on a weekend - just out on the piss/general chit chat/enjoying themselves, etc. Glen Humphries, Robbie Turner were often out Saturday post match.

“Psycho” was actually quite a decent guy. The team was made up of  free transfers/wheeler deals etc.

Note Beryl Fudge on the touch line - decent lady. Told me off for misbehaving on a Cats coach once with SuperBob. When the team ran out, can still remember that roar. Absolutely deafening. 

Joe Jordan was my messiah in those days and if I am honest gave me a focus every weekend when I was in danger of going off the rails at the time. Thanks Joe!

Remember it well, going away to Bolton ect coming back and up the stairs into the supports club, see the players come back and come ion the bar for a chat and pint  

Can you imagine sitting on the wall nowadays if we still had the enclosure health and safety would have a heart attack!!!

Reminds me of being a child and being allowed to take a wooden stool in the old open end so I can stand on it at the front so I could peer through the railings blimey how times have changed 

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The best pre-match atmosphere I can remember in relatively recent history was the Rotherham game in 06-07. I distinctly recall fans being in early and a lot of whole-ground singing well in advance of kick off, and I remember thinking how rare that was.

Good shout CR. 

Archived